Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Looks like there is a Bug in Typhoon H Pro firmware.

RBC

Reaction score
I called Yuneec this morning to let them know of some issues I experienced yesterday and this morning with my new Typhoon H Pro delivered yesterday. Before calling Yuneec, I conducted some tests with the H Pro and got the same result every time. I noticed that when flying with Obstacle Avoidance set to "off", when doing a RTH, the H Pro loses altitude instead of coming back to the home point at the same altitude if over 30 ft. I also noticed the H Pro flew very slow in RTH mode (7 to 10 mph). The landing gear did not automatically deploy until I descended to 60 ft. The home point was much farther away (about 40 ft from my ST16 location) than my Base H I had before I got the H Pro. I told Yuneec I felt this could be a very critical bug because if someone loses Line of Sight and activates RTH, the H Pro while descending on the way back to the home point could crash into an obstacle in between the RTH activation point and the home point.

Yuneec told me I was the first person that had called them to discuss this issue and that they would conduct a test at their CA location to see whether they could replicate what I was finding, and call me back and let me know their findings. I had not heard back from Yuneec by this afternoon, so I called a friend of mine in anther state that also received the H Pro a few days before I got mine. He performed the same test and had the same issues so I knew this was not an isolated issue.

For any H Pro owners that want to conduct the same test, please do the following:
1. Put H in Angle Mode with Obstacle Avoidance set to "off".
2. Fly to an altitude of 250 ft and a distance away of 1,000 ft.
3. Activate RTH.

Test to see whether the H Pro
1. holds altitude or descends.
2 if the landing gear activates immediately or only after descending to approximately 60 ft.
3 if the H Pro will land at a home point approximately 40 ft from the ST16. (Note because it was descending I got out of RTH at about 30 ft in altitude). (It was coming closer to the home point while descending and most likely would have landed closer to the home point if I let it. So this may have been closer to the home point if it had let it continue to land while descending).

Repeat the test with OA set to "on". My experience is that the H Pro performs correctly as it should. i.e., 1) Did not descend until reaching the home point. 2)Landing point was within an acceptable distance from ST 16 (10 to 15 ft). 3) Speed is still slow as it does slow down with OA/RealSense turned on.

Note that the firmware version on my H Pro is Auto Pilot v 1.23. This was loaded at the factory before the H Pro was shipped to me. If this is a firmware problem, and I believe it is, it could take some time for Yuneec to fix this bug with a firmware update.

In the interim, just be aware of what appears to be an issue, and fly safely.

Last edited:
RBC, I am very sorry to hear of this problem you have. Since I am a new Pro owner, for a week now, of course I had to test mine.

I followed your instructions fairly well. In Angle mode without OA, I sent it up to 200', and out to 600", then switched RTH on.
The drone held its altitude until it got above me, then started down. At some 30' I went back to Angle mode and took control. The legs were down, I think they came down at a higher altitude than 60'. At this site I could not send it more than 600' out.

So I sent it back to exactly the same position, up 200', out 600'. I switched OA on, then the RTH. The craft repeated the earlier sequence, exactly as far as I could tell. (There were no obstacles. I have tested the RealSense, usually on Follow Me, with great success)
Again I took control, legs were down as before, and I landed the craft.

My Autopilot is also ver 1.23, Gimbal is 1.22, Camera is 3.2.07(A), and RealSense is 1.06.

My best wishes to you and I hope this problem will be resolved to your satisfaction.

RBC, I am very sorry to hear of this problem you have. Since I am a new Pro owner, for a week now, of course I had to test mine.

I followed your instructions fairly well. In Angle mode without OA, I sent it up to 200', and out to 600", then switched RTH on.
The drone held its altitude until it got above me, then started down. At some 30' I went back to Angle mode and took control. The legs were down, I think they came down at a higher altitude than 60'. At this site I could not send it more than 600' out.

So I sent it back to exactly the same position, up 200', out 600'. I switched OA on, then the RTH. The craft repeated the earlier sequence, exactly as far as I could tell. (There were no obstacles. I have tested the RealSense, usually on Follow Me, with great success)
Again I took control, legs were down as before, and I landed the craft.

My Autopilot is also ver 1.23, Gimbal is 1.22, Camera is 3.2.07(A), and RealSense is 1.06.

My best wishes to you and I hope this problem will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Ray Ray, Thank you for conducting the test. This is very interesting. It worked for you but not for my H Pro or my friend's H Pro. I did not post my email until my friend told me he had the same issue with his as I did. I'll be interested in other H Pro members testing theirs to be sure we can find out if there is a software bug or not. That's the only way to be sure.

Hello. Yes I agree.

There is one thing I forgot to mention. In your first post you said the craft could crash into an obstacle while coming down.
True, however, if the person also switches OA on when the RTH kicks in, perhaps that would prevent a disaster. I don't know.

The firmware could automatically turn on the RealSense in case of RTH, but some may not want that.

It is to Yuneec's bad that they have not produced a true and comprehensive Owners Manual, even as a PDF.
Is your camera and other stuff OK? Tried RS on Follow ME?

Hello. Yes I agree.

There is one thing I forgot to mention. In your first post you said the craft could crash into an obstacle while coming down.
True, however, if the person also switches OA on when the RTH kicks in, perhaps that would prevent a disaster. I don't know.

The firmware could automatically turn on the RealSense in case of RTH, but some may not want that.

It is to Yuneec's bad that they have not produced a true and comprehensive Owners Manual, even as a PDF.

Ray Ray, I just did the test two more times. One going out like you did 600 ft from a 200 ft altitude and one going out 1000 ft. from a 250 ft altitude. I don't think 600 ft is an adequate distance to test the issue. I did not get much altitude drop until it was nearly overhead. I would ask that you try the 1000 ft distance from a 250 ft altitude to truly replicate my test. I found there is a lot of altitude loss in the last 400 ft of the 1,000 foot of distance returning to home.

Hello. Yes I agree.

I agree with you that it would be good if Yuneec could program the H Pro to turn on OA/Real Sense when activating RTH as the default with the ability of the pilot to override it if they choose to. That would enable a better failsafe to avoid crashes especially given that we do not have the ability to set the RTH altitude. Right now it is set at 30 ft if flying at less than 30 ft altitude which is far too low. I am now beginning to wonder if the bug is causing the H to drop to a RTH altitude of 30 ft when flying at a higher altitude with OA set to "off". As I said before, everything works for RTH as stated in Yuneec's H documentation when OA is set to "on". This was not an issue with the Base Typhoon H.

I have not yet tested my camera as this is a lower priority for me right now.

I can not go more than 600' away at this location. And 200' seems high enough to clear most trees and lines.
I am unable to see a problem for my ops.
Good luck.

I can not go more than 600' away at this location. And 200' seems high enough to clear most trees and lines.
I am unable to see a problem for my ops.
Good luck.
Ray, I understand you don't have room to replicate my test from your location. But I am trying to get other H Pro owners to replicate my test to see if there is a bug in the software. I can assure you Yuneec will also be doing this. The purpose of my post was to alert other H Pro owners to this possibly being an issue and to see if they can confirm it one way or another. If it is not a software bug, then something is wrong with my H Pro and my friend's H Pro and we will need to return them for an exchange or get them fixed.

Curious if the altitude you're seeing is "above the ground" or " above sea level".

Is the terrain you're at flat or hilly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious if the altitude you're seeing is "above the ground" or " above sea level".

Is the terrain you're at flat or hilly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The terrane is flat. Stated altitude is above ground level.

I called Yuneec this morning to let them know of some issues I experienced yesterday and this morning with my new Typhoon H Pro delivered yesterday. Before calling Yuneec, I conducted some tests with the H Pro and got the same result every time. I noticed that when flying with Obstacle Avoidance set to "off", when doing a RTH, the H Pro loses altitude instead of coming back to the home point at the same altitude if over 30 ft. I also noticed the H Pro flew very slow in RTH mode (7 to 10 mph). The landing gear did not automatically deploy until I descended to 60 ft. The home point was much farther away (about 40 ft from my ST16 location) than my Base H I had before I got the H Pro. I told Yuneec I felt this could be a very critical bug because if someone loses Line of Sight and activates RTH, the H Pro while descending on the way back to the home point could crash into an obstacle in between the RTH activation point and the home point.

Yuneec told me I was the first person that had called them to discuss this issue and that they would conduct a test at their CA location to see whether they could replicate what I was finding, and call me back and let me know their findings. I had not heard back from Yuneec by this afternoon, so I called a friend of mine in anther state that also received the H Pro a few days before I got mine. He performed the same test and had the same issues so I knew this was not an isolated issue.

For any H Pro owners that want to conduct the same test, please do the following:
1. Put H in Angle Mode with Obstacle Avoidance set to "off".
2. Fly to an altitude of 250 ft and a distance away of 1,000 ft.
3. Activate RTH.

Test to see whether the H Pro
1. holds altitude or descends.
2 if the landing gear activates immediately or only after descending to approximately 60 ft.
3 if the H Pro will land at a home point approximately 40 ft from the ST16. (Note because it was descending I got out of RTH at about 30 ft in altitude). (It was coming closer to the home point while descending and most likely would have landed closer to the home point if I let it. So this may have been closer to the home point if it had let it continue to land while descending).

Repeat the test with OA set to "on". My experience is that the H Pro performs correctly as it should. i.e., 1) Did not descend until reaching the home point. 2)Landing point was within an acceptable distance from ST 16 (10 to 15 ft). 3) Speed is still slow as it does slow down with OA/RealSense turned on.

Note that the firmware version on my H Pro is Auto Pilot v 1.23. This was loaded at the factory before the H Pro was shipped to me. If this is a firmware problem, and I believe it is, it could take some time for Yuneec to fix this bug with a firmware update.

In the interim, just be aware of what appears to be an issue, and fly safely.

I would appreciate help from another H Pro owner who would be able to replicate the test I did. This would verify whether or not there is truly a bug in the H Pro firmware or if this issue is just isolated to a few H Pros like mine and my friend. Before you run the test, please check to see that you have the same version of Auto Pilot installed. Auto Pilot v. 1.23. Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval