Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Reaction score
Hi all, It's been less than a month since my first purchase of my TH. Still in love regardless of my experience with the CGO3+ gimbal. And my own stupidity. 1st TH purchased from Costco came with the 2 ant ST16. The camera would always face about 4deg to the left. even after calibration, could be corrected with pan knob. CS said send it in we will fix it. since I had just purchased it from Costco my plan was to just return and repurchase. much faster than sending it in. That day I figured I would fly before returning it. I set the return to home Alt to 400ft and flew it down the lake till I started to loose communication with it, flipped the home switch watched it rise to 400ft fly back and land! That's really cool! There aren't any trees taller than 100ft around here I thought as I reset home Alt to 100ft. BIG Mistake! As I flew it out the other direction down the lake. It temp lost communication as I went out on the dock to maintain visual. I put it in home mode and gained visual of people in the park pointing into the tree that I/It had just flown it in to. and there it hung 100ft up in a 115ft cottonwood tree. Getting it down Is a complete story of it own.

After pricing all of the know broken parts. CGO3+, Battery, upper and lower body, 2 arms, 3 motors, new set of blades, clips, leds, frame, misc. parts etc... Almost as much as a new TH with 2 batts, 2 sets of blades, CGO3+, ST16 (three ant on this one). I bought a new one! from Costco. Unboxed it last night and went through set up. Calibrations. 15 sec. in, on Gimbal Cal it sticks and never completes. "Is it possible that the gimbal is that bad?" No, I thought. so I recalibrated the ST16 with the secret menu. multiple times and gimbal still the same CGO3+ sticks after 15sec. never completes calibration. Undaunted I Went and bought #3 TH from Costco today. Unboxed it, powered it up and the CGO3+ started to really slowly pan to the left. I laughed out loud!

Since I had been reading threads on here about the CGO3+ gimbal and many other things. I knew just what to do. I recalibrated the ST16 with the secret menu. and then recalibrated the Gimbal. It Worked! It's perfect and I'm still in love with it! I'll return the 2nd TH with the bad gimbal and let the store return it to Yuneec. I have my new one #3 and parts from my old new one #1. less than a month old...

Needless to say, I'm learning a lot. Some really expensive trial and error. even more from you All here at YuneecPilots. well worth the price of admission. Thank you!

P.S. If I can figure out how to edit out 4 minutes of video from a Typhoon H hanging upside down 100ft up in a tree I'll post the 5sec of it flying into the tree and you all can point, laugh and tell your friends "Don't do this its really expensive!"

Attachments

• YUN00016.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi all, It's been less than a month since my first purchase of my TH. Still in love regardless of my experience with the CGO3+ gimbal. And my own stupidity. 1st TH purchased from Costco came with the 2 ant ST16. The camera would always face about 4deg to the left. even after calibration, could be corrected with pan knob. CS said send it in we will fix it. since I had just purchased it from Costco my plan was to just return and repurchase. much faster than sending it in. That day I figured I would fly before returning it. I set the return to home Alt to 400ft and flew it down the lake till I started to loose communication with it, flipped the home switch watched it rise to 400ft fly back and land! That's really cool! There aren't any trees taller than 100ft around here I thought as I reset home Alt to 100ft. BIG Mistake! As I flew it out the other direction down the lake. It temp lost communication as I went out on the dock to maintain visual. I put it in home mode and gained visual of people in the park pointing into the tree that I/It had just flown it in to. and there it hung 100ft up in a 115ft cottonwood tree. Getting it down Is a complete story of it own.

After pricing all of the know broken parts. CGO3+, Battery, upper and lower body, 2 arms, 3 motors, new set of blades, clips, leds, frame, misc. parts etc... Almost as much as a new TH with 2 batts, 2 sets of blades, CGO3+, ST16 (three ant on this one). I bought a new one! from Costco. Unboxed it last night and went through set up. Calibrations. 15 sec. in, on Gimbal Cal it sticks and never completes. "Is it possible that the gimbal is that bad?" No, I thought. so I recalibrated the ST16 with the secret menu. multiple times and gimbal still the same CGO3+ sticks after 15sec. never completes calibration. Undaunted I Went and bought #3 TH from Costco today. Unboxed it, powered it up and the CGO3+ started to really slowly pan to the left. I laughed out loud!

Since I had been reading threads on here about the CGO3+ gimbal and many other things. I knew just what to do. I recalibrated the ST16 with the secret menu. and then recalibrated the Gimbal. It Worked! It's perfect and I'm still in love with it! I'll return the 2nd TH with the bad gimbal and let the store return it to Yuneec. I have my new one #3 and parts from my old new one #1. less than a month old...

Needless to say, I'm learning a lot. Some really expensive trial and error. even more from you All here at YuneecPilots. well worth the price of admission. Thank you!

P.S. If I can figure out how to edit out 4 minutes of video from a Typhoon H hanging upside down 100ft up in a tree I'll post the 5sec of it flying into the tree and you all can point, laugh and tell your friends "Don't do this its really expensive!"
Just edit the arm out of the picture. :)

Reactions: vertigo
I don't think anyone is going to ridicule you in your unfortunate accident...certainly not me. However, it is difficult to estimate the height of a tree so it's always good practice to err on the side of caution: Better 50 ft above than a couple of inches below.

The better part of 3 years ago I had a crash with a Phantom 2 Vision. I was doing a photo survey for a conservation group and the aircraft was doing a grid pattern using waypoints. I'd made the mistake, though, of taking off from the bottom of a hill because I was too lazy to walk up it and I slightly underestimated the height of the hill when setting the waypoints. The aircraft was heading to one of it's last waypoints and it went out of LOS so I waited for a while for it to show up but it didn't.

Once I'd walked up the hill (I should have done this in the first place) I couldn't see it anywhere so my initial thoughts were that I'd had a flyaway. However, I noticed a small tree that was in the vicinity of the waypoint I'd set and, low & behold, I saw the aircraft lying bottom up next to the tree. From the photo evidence I could tell that the aircraft had managed to clear the top of the hill but clipped the top of the small tree and crashed. Another couple of inches in height would have cleared it.

That was a valuable lesson: Height is your friend; If you have a choice take off from higher ground; never let the aircraft out of your sight. I was relatively new to multirotors at the time and I'd simply underestimated the height of the hill.

Reactions: Murray Martz
I don't think anyone is going to ridicule you in your unfortunate accident...certainly not me. However, it is difficult to estimate the height of a tree so it's always good practice to err on the side of caution: Better 50 ft above than a couple of inches below.

The better part of 3 years ago I had a crash with a Phantom 2 Vision. I was doing a photo survey for a conservation group and the aircraft was doing a grid pattern using waypoints. I'd made the mistake, though, of taking off from the bottom of a hill because I was too lazy to walk up it and I slightly underestimated the height of the hill when setting the waypoints. The aircraft was heading to one of it's last waypoints and it went out of LOS so I waited for a while for it to show up but it didn't.

Once I'd walked up the hill (I should have done this in the first place) I couldn't see it anywhere so my initial thoughts were that I'd had a flyaway. However, I noticed a small tree that was in the vicinity of the waypoint I'd set and, low & behold, I saw the aircraft lying bottom up next to the tree. From the photo evidence I could tell that the aircraft had managed to clear the top of the hill but clipped the top of the small tree and crashed. Another couple of inches in height would have cleared it.

That was a valuable lesson: Height is your friend; If you have a choice take off from higher ground; never let the aircraft out of your sight. I was relatively new to multirotors at the time and I'd simply underestimated the height of the hill.
Thanks for sharing Flushvision. nice to know mistakes are sometimes made for the sake of learning. I Did! I laugh at my self all the time. I figure it also gives other people permission to laugh too. "Don't take yourself to seriously, its just life. why not enjoy it?"

Reactions: Murray Martz
Looks like you were lucky. Could have taken a swim.
I almost had a bad crash this weekend when I was using the wizard to follow my daughter swimming. She held on so tight to it she pressed a button and off the H went stright for a dock and trees. Lucky I got her to drop it in time and she didn't hit the power button. Won't do that again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop