Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Low Battery Warning and Erratic Flight

Jester,

Forgive me but I was responding to a post a page or three back. I admit I did not review pages after that point.

Despite what are at times "somewhat" sarcastic or cynical posts, I do like and want to help people avoid making some of the mistakes I have. I have a lot of them to reference;). For general informational purposes, and not directed at or to you, the posts that irritate me usually come from people that clearly didn't read the instructions that come with the H, look at the videos and docs on the SD card, or review information at the Yuneec website. More often than not the same post describes how the bricked the H or 16, crashed at take off or landing, experienced toilet bowling, or can't make the camera work. They also often mention how their system didn't need calibration. They usually make it a point to blame the product or the manufacturer.

For people that fit those profiles I offer the following; although Yuneec documentation does bot state what will or could happen if they fail to read and follow provided and available documentation, taking the time to review the stuff before the first flight and additional review while gaining experience will largely prevent the problems they write about, saving them repair time and money.

To you Jester, I also offer an apology in return. I have my bad days too and at times can irritate. I've never been politically correct as I believe it leaves too much room for people to find a way to avoid responsibility. Sometimes an irritating post is intentional;), sometimes not, but I think you and I got off on the wrong foot awhile back. Hopefully we're good to go.

Ah yes...Political correctness: A doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
My favorite quote. I'm not one for political correctness either.
We may have started off on the wrong foot, but due to my back problems causing a limp on my good side, I wouldn't have much left to stand on so I always try avoid staying on the wrong foot. We're all good, sir.
Now don't let think for a moment that I won't harass you for insutling comments from time to time ;) but that is because I was born without a sugarcoating filter. I believe you may be able to relate to that. Having severe ADD, I wasn't born with an "On Deck" circle for my thoughts. They just go up to the plate and swing for the fence. Like I said in a previous post, and have had to explain to people throughout my life... I'm just as surprised as you people by the **** that comes out of my mouth. ;) OMG, look at me, I found a way to avoid that responsibility you were just speaking of. Ok, joking aside. We're all good, and I know my luck, so All of your advice is always read and taken...if I remember it. Having lost a pinky to a brand new, (but recalled due to programming issues) RC plane, and most of the use of my ring finger, I share your advice of avoiding the hand catching of the H, among other things. BTW, they put my pinky finger back on. It just doesn't bend or feel much now so it makes a dangerous booger picker. Too bad it wasn't my middle finger. That not bending thing would have been a great excuse. Not that I don't use that excuse still. It's just that they usually find out I'm lying when they it work properly later.;) Anyways, I think we just deliver our message different on things. That's ok though, being pretty new to UAV's, I have very few messages to deliver anyways.
Happy flying!

I had forgotten that definition for political correctness. Thanks for posting it again for I fully agree it is the best description available.

Reactions: Jester
I had forgotten that definition for political correctness. Thanks for posting it again for I fully agree it is the best description available.
Ha, yep. I come up with some good material, and even used to write a lot material all the time on subjects like that, but after seeing that one years ago, it was so good, I never even tried to write a better one on that subject. I couldn't change a word of it to make it more perfect than it already is. Years ago that was attributed to FDR, I believe it was, but I think historians debunked that claim.

Hey it's me again, the OP. The newbie with more questions than answers.

I read on the internet that the minimum voltage for a LiPo cell is 3.0 v and the maximum is 4.2 v. Outside those limits, the LiPo can become unstable, unpredictable and potentially dangerous.

Since we all know that what's on the internet is true (yuk, yuk), I've adopted a practice to limit my low voltage to 3.5v per cell or 14.3v total (under load) and I won't fly a battery registering above 16.7 v (unloaded).

Thanks to the insight of all the experienced members that have participated in this thread. I now have LiPo fire safe bags for all my batteries and a decent charger (Venom (four bay) Typhoon H Pro).

Thanks to all and fly safe!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jester
Good to hear you're doing well, and expanding your knowledge base along the way. Keep having fun!

The Typhoon H manual says to land the craft immediately if at any time the aircraft battery voltage is below 14.1V. I have flown mine down to this limit and the second battery warning with no control issues.

Ditto. Multiple times.

I'll start by saying I'm a Newbie. I have a 12 successful flights on my Typhoon H Pro and have a LOT to learn.

I'm starting to notice erratic flight behavior when I reach the first low battery warning. Once while landing under low battery the bird would not descend below approximately 30 feet. I should also note that I hadn't yet put the gear down. I raised it up to about 50 feet, dropped the gear and landed safely.

Yesterday while landing in dead calm conditions, under the first low battery warning, the bird was drifting all over the place making it hard to control and difficult to land safely.

I compared these experiences to a recent flight where the wind came up suddenly early in the flight. Not being comfortable with my skills in the wind yet, I headed for home with lots of battery left. The bird was rock solid during decent automatically reacting and pitching into a 15 knot wind gusting to 20 and the landing was a piece of cake.

All that said, does the unit become glitchy during low battery warnings? Or were these experiences just random chance?

Also, I generally get the first low battery warning at 14.3 volts in that helps.

Thanks in advance!

I was doing a test flight and at 80' I was only hovering and the low battery warning came on and the drone took over. The drone went right facing away from me. It was all I could do was to stop it from going to far, lower the landing gear to protect the camera, and throttle way up to soften the landing though it was almost out of sight. All of the spring clips are broken. It was the same situation you felt when some wind came up and the low warning came on and instantly I lost significant operational control.

Last edited:
That wasn’t a first low battery warning issue...
Ok then what was it??? Because I was watching the drone over head 80' lights started flashing looked at my remote screen low battery warning. Then boom the drone went right or west and I hit the return to home switch which seemed to help, lowered gear throttled up and saw the drone disappear though it seemed slow. Like I said I lost control of the drone at the low battery warning up until then the drone was holding strong and I was shooting video, but that's what happened. So instead of not sharing why dont you enlighten me?

Thanks

It sounds more like you had a compass/GPS issue that coincided with a voltage warning. Could you tell what light colors were flashing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval