Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

More strange st16 problems

Reaction score
When i turn my st16 off, once its shut down the screen flickers twice then the battery sign on screen shows that its charging even tho its not plugged in.
I have to take the battery out when not in use which is a pain.
Could this be the battery itself causing this?
I hope its not another faulty st16 internal, i had first one repaired and then replaced already.
Has anyone experienced similar?
Cheers.

Sounds like a software issue factory reset your st16 normally fixes these issues on the Android phones when it happens and does your battery charge up ok

Battery takes forever to charge, like 8 hours! Ill do a reset and see. Cheers.
If you have a balance charger you can buy these leads for the battery with a much quicker charge time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190401-123115~2.png
    Screenshot_20190401-123115~2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
If you have aq500 4k or probably any afterrmarket q500, those look like the leads to charge the battery.
Nope you take the battery out and charge it, something the OP had done, you'll lose time setting. If it fits Q500 then fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190401-175150.png
    Screenshot_20190401-175150.png
    713.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: Air Intel
Battery takes forever to charge, like 8 hours! Ill do a reset and see. Cheers.
I had an issue with the ST16 similar to yours concerning the battery. I reseated the
Battery in the controller Nd then tried another cable to charge with. It was the cable.

If you have a balance charger you can buy these leads for the battery with a much quicker charge time.
The battery in the ST is 3.7 (4.2) volt so it is a 1S cell. You can't balance a battery with one cell so a balance charger is not strictly needed, although typically to get a higher speed charge mode (higher current) is usually only found on that type of charger although a high speed 1S charger would also and be less expensive.

The battery in the ST is 3.7 (4.2) volt so it is a 1S cell. You can't balance a battery with one cell so a balance charger is not strictly needed, although typically to get a higher speed charge mode (higher current) is usually only found on that type of charger although a high speed 1S charger would also and be less expensive.
I was referring to a third party charger generally, which most people who are serious about battery management have. I'm fully aware it's a single cell lithium ion battery, and the correct setting on the charger to perform a charge.

Technically its actually a 3 cell battery, made up of 3 x 18650 batteries, the same batteries used for e-cigarettes.
Only these are linked together in paralell to form 1 physical battery hence are treated as 1s.

Technically its actually a 3 cell battery, made up of 3 x 18650 batteries, the same batteries used for e-cigarettes.
Only these are linked together in paralell to form 1 physical battery hence are treated as 1s.

Yes! As are the spare batteries I've made for my ST16 except I used Lipos (out of tablet battery packs). I was not able to fit an 18650 (one or more) in the battery compartment.

Yes! As are the spare batteries I've made for my ST16 except I used Lipos (out of tablet battery packs). I was not able to fit an 18650 (one or more) in the battery compartment.
What would be the advantage of using a Lipo battery in an ST16? It could be fully charged for a day or two and would have to put in storage charge, the original battery is cheap enough and can be kept fully charged.

The original battery is also a Lipo- it is a packet lithium ion battery that uses a polymer construction. The advantages of making them are:
1. I have access to free lipos so the cost is minimal (connectors are cheap).
2. I can have as many backups as I want to make.
3. I can use better (higher capacity) cells so the ST16 lasts longer running before needing to be charged.
4. Yuneec wants to keep costs to a minimum so they make their battery as cheaply and minimally functional as possible. My parameters are to make the most capacity I can pack in.
4. I can monitor the individual cells in the parallel configuration that allows me to detect issues BEFORE they happen.

The OEM battery is good, but the ones I make are BETTER.

Awesome! Where are you located? Id buy one off you, my controller battery runs down quite quick and takes forever to charge, had to get another. I thought the pack had standard 18650's in it, are they lipo's? Would make sense as these are used in ecigs which need to pack a punch [emoji57]
The original battery is also a Lipo- it is a packet lithium ion battery that uses a polymer construction. The advantages of making them are:
1. I have access to free lipos so the cost is minimal (connectors are cheap).
2. I can have as many backups as I want to make.
3. I can use better (higher capacity) cells so the ST16 lasts longer running before needing to be charged.
4. Yuneec wants to keep costs to a minimum so they make their battery as cheaply and minimally functional as possible. My parameters are to make the most capacity I can pack in.
4. I can monitor the individual cells in the parallel configuration that allows me to detect issues BEFORE they happen.

The OEM battery is good, but the ones I make are BETTER.

Awesome! Where are you located? Id buy one off you, my controller battery runs down quite quick and takes forever to charge, had to get another. I thought the pack had standard 18650's in it, are they lipo's? Would make sense as these are used in ecigs which need to pack a punch [emoji57]
How long does it take to charge? I keep mine charged up all the time, can fly in excess of 5 batteries with still battery life left, I carry a fresh one just in case, with a third party charger and lead it's much quicker to charge.

I've done a bit more research and it does appear the original battery is based on the 18650 inside of the square brick that Yuneec provides. In my experience, when a lithium battery is square, it is usually the lipo packs inside. I still prefer the packs for this application over the 18650's due to energy density and weight savings although I do have access to a bunch of both 18650's and lipo packs. If an 18650 fails or is shorted, then tend to explode (like a firecracker) whereas a lipo swells and that makes the plates separate and tends to defuse the situation. So I apologize to those who knew better. My unit came without the original ST16 battery so I assumed and we all know what that does... ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sao789ph