Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Motor Upgrade???

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has looked at or considered upgrading the motors in their H. How do the 520 motors compare in specs? Main reason why is some of my motor sports filmography I’ve been doing could use some extra speed to keep up with the cars.

Nope. Can't do that. You would need a 520 or an H Plus.
It's not just about the motors. The ESC's are quite different and have a higher output on those two models.

Reactions: Vinny2gunz and DCH
It's not just about the motors. The ESC's are quite different and have a higher output on those two models.
It's deeper than that! I have had a lot of multi rotors over the years, and built a few from scratch, but I have never seen a manufacture that was so propitiatory in every aspect, in every detail, even between very similar models, as Yuneec. Forget any ideas you thought you had about hacking a Yuneec, or even transplanting components between models like the H480 and the H Plus. They look like twin brothers, but they seem to have different mothers!

The only drone I ever put upgraded motors on was an Upair one model, but it was such a poorly made copter, which required lots of upgrading. I wouldn't consider any.surgery for the Typhoon.

Reactions: Steve Carr
@SteveCarr's statement is absolutly correct but I do not even think, that this is the biggest issue with upgrading the motors. Other motors have also another response to throttle input. When they have more power they might react a lot faster than the old ones. This means that your whole drone will behave different so that you have to adjust the gain values of the stabilisation system. Otherwise the drone might shake a lot or will even crash. Unfortunatly changing these values is not possible with the most RTF drones like Yuneec or DJI.

The ESCs might even be cappable of handling stronger motors.

Well ****. Didn’t really expect to be able to but was just an idea. I love the price point vs capabilities of the platform and just want to push it to the limits.

Well ****. Didn’t really expect to be able to but was just an idea. I love the price point vs capabilities of the platform and just want to push it to the limits.
Nobody is stopping you. would be interesting to see your results for the modification.

The motors are not the limiting factor there. The TH is actually quite agile drone with a good thrust-to-weight ratio. Of course, it is not a 100 mph racing drone, but it can still be pretty fast. The limiting factor is the software, which limits the ground speed of the drone. By turning off the GPS, you will gain a bit more speed, but there is still a bank limiter which spoils your fun.

But if you want to make that thing go and push the limits of the TH, you could do few little software tweaks there... ;-)

However, if you require speeds exceeding 60-100 mph, I'd still recommend a high-perf racing drone for that, not something that was made to be a stable, smooth and easy-to-fly filming rig. I have one, the Typhoon stands no chance for it. It weighs less than Typhoon, it has more thrust than typhoon (and discharge currents of its battery are like 250 amps).

Last edited:
I just got my second ST16 updated and will be testing to make sure it will be ok to fly with. My dad lost an H into a pond with it, he thought an arm clip let go and dropped the arm though. I lost an H with it, pretty sure it was the battery though. Early in the game and had some puff to it but sent it anyways. 400' fall and now I've got a parts H.

I almost kept up with some Formula Drift cars with GPS off but not able to control camera at the same time. Hopefully I can train my wife to run the camera for me.

I will see how it goes and maybe try and tweak the software need be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval