Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My New Strobes

Reaction score
Well, I got these from Fire House Technology, essentially StrobeOn strobes. They were a bit more than from FlyTron but I was able to get them in 2 days domestically.
Drone UAS UAV Quadcopter LED Strobe Light

The mounts I chose are from RevoLectrix
Co-Pilot II Mounting Accessory Pack

I thought about how to mount them for a while when I remembered the sensor mounts which came with my RevoLectrix CoPilot II for my Hughes 500 heli. I think they turned out pretty good. I used adhesive velcro on the mounts and strobes which I mounted near the bottom of the legs facing in. Once I retract the gear the strobes are facing down. So far so good and I don't see the strobes flashing in the CGO3+ but if that turns out to be an issue I can rotate the mounts around the legs so they face up or clip the tie wrap and move the mounts to the motor arms.

The mounts are pretty neat because they have a curved mounting surface which would normally fit on the boom of the heli. The legs or motor arms are close (slightly smaller) to the diameter of a boom.

Sensor Mount
upload_2017-1-28_15-53-33.png

Mounted Strobe
upload_2017-1-28_15-54-22.png

Strobes
upload_2017-1-28_15-58-16.png

Looks really nice!

Do you know roughly how far the stones can be seen in VFR conditions?

Edit:

Is the strobe light run off its own battery or a internal battery / capacitor?

Last edited:
What a neatidea. I would have gone years without thinking of doing something like this. Is the purpose to allow you to maintain better sight of the bird, or just 'cause it's cool?

Looks really nice!

Edit:

According to his link, they have internal batteries and are charged via USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks really nice!

Edit:

From what others have said with the StobeOns, they ave visible for quite a ways. At least as far as I would be willing to fly in the early morning or at dusk.

The stobes run on their own internal battery and are rated to run continuously for 5 hrs.

What a neatidea. I would have gone years without thinking of doing something like this. Is the purpose to allow you to maintain better sight of the bird, or just 'cause it's cool?
In answer to your question both. At dusk or early morning to catch the sunrise they help maintain visibility and are proper markers per the FAA. As far as the cool factor, I think they look pretty cool. Mine are currently white and red but I'm thinking of getting a green one for proper port and starboard markers, then move the white one underneath.

Reactions: sauerjc
Red, green, and white are required aero and nautical position light colors. Red, left-green, right, white,aft. Red for top and bottom meets aero rotating beacon requirements as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're using the LumeCubes. They meet the FAR requirement, and can strobe. They're also used in daylight to illuminate shadows in objects being inspected.

16300545_10210614578453982_5147578483997852213_o.jpg

In answer to your question both. At dusk or early morning to catch the sunrise they help maintain visibility and are proper markers per the FAA. As far as the cool factor, I think they look pretty cool. Mine are currently white and red but I'm thinking of getting a green one for proper port and starboard markers, then move the white one underneath.

These little beacons meet the 3 statute mile requirement? WOW!

I have the Lume Cubes and the StobeOns. I attached a small piece of Velcro on strategic locations on the each of my THs. Then a small piece of Velcro on each of the StrobeOns. I have 4 of each color (Red/White) so there will be a spare if one dies on me.. So which ever UAS I want to fly, I just attach the desired StrobeOns to that UAS via the velcro. As for colors, it may have changed, but the supplier told me they do not have green and will not have them as there was not enough demand to justify them. As the primary purpose of the Strobes is for visibility to low flying aircraft, I placed them towards the top with a slightly upward direction. Any manned aircraft, fixed or rotor "should" be at a higher altitude than a UAS unless your flying above the regulated height, so this angle should provide the most visibility when flying.

Attachments

• 20170206_205940.jpg
    20170206_205940.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • 20170206_210125.jpg
    20170206_210125.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 20170206_210000.jpg
    20170206_210000.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
  • 20170206_210049.jpg
    20170206_210049.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 54
I bought a couple of white Flytron Strobon Standalone strobe lights from ReadyMadeRC.com. Mounted them on the outboard sides of the right an left motor pods with adhesive backed velcro. I bought white because they are said to be the most visible.

I flew today to test the strobe lights at mid-day. The sky was filed with white, fluffy clouds but with frequent sun breaks. Against the white cloud, I was no longer able to see the strobe lights at 330 ft out and 100 ft high. I turned the TH 90-deg so that I was looking directly at the light. They are so small that they hardly attract your attention in daylight.

I guess my expectations were too high for these clever, tiny lights. I'll try them again at dusk.

In my opinion the Lume Cubes are a little pricey but I can see them regardless of the time of day/ weather conditions! If you do fly at night they are amazing. By far well worth the money spent. The farmers across the way said they could see them plain as day and they live over a mile away. Lume Cubes hold a great charge to.

In my opinion the Lume Cubes are a little pricey but I can see them regardless of the time of day/ weather conditions! If you do fly at night they are amazing. By far well worth the money spent. The farmers across the way said they could see them plain as day and they live over a mile away. Lume Cubes hold a great charge to.
Do the Lume Cubes interfere with Realsense?

Reactions: Bullhorn1976
Well, I got these from Fire House Technology, essentially StrobeOn strobes. They were a bit more than from FlyTron but I was able to get them in 2 days domestically.
Drone UAS UAV Quadcopter LED Strobe Light

The mounts I chose are from RevoLectrix
Co-Pilot II Mounting Accessory Pack

I thought about how to mount them for a while when I remembered the sensor mounts which came with my RevoLectrix CoPilot II for my Hughes 500 heli. I think they turned out pretty good. I used adhesive velcro on the mounts and strobes which I mounted near the bottom of the legs facing in. Once I retract the gear the strobes are facing down. So far so good and I don't see the strobes flashing in the CGO3+ but if that turns out to be an issue I can rotate the mounts around the legs so they face up or clip the tie wrap and move the mounts to the motor arms.

The mounts are pretty neat because they have a curved mounting surface which would normally fit on the boom of the heli. The legs or motor arms are close (slightly smaller) to the diameter of a boom.

Sensor Mount
View attachment 4849

Mounted Strobe
View attachment 4850

Strobes
View attachment 4851
That's a slick setup!

The Flytrons also came out with a newer version with the CREE bulbs and are extremely bright. I have seen videos of them in flight and they work very well. If I can find the video I will try to post it here.

The Flytrons also came out with a newer version with the CREE bulbs and are extremely bright. I have seen videos of them in flight and they work very well. If I can find the video I will try to post it here.
Cool, I can't wait to check them out, hopefully the run time will still be close. There will probably be a trade off between needing to see them and flashing glare in the camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval