Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ND Filters

i ordered the 3 filter nd set as soon as tim terrones from yuneec customer service posted the news on 3/4/16. the price presently has a 15% discount for a total of $42.50 (includes s/h). Yunnec Typhoon Filters

these guys (polar pro) were the ones that got discovered on the "shark tank" tv program. they have a facebook page that keeps folks informed of their new offerings and also a website at . check them out at the following links:
GoPro Accessories | Filters, Poles, Microphones, Mounts & Cases
Yunnec Typhoon Filters
Security Check Required

will try to upload a review after i test them.

thanks,
carl

replying to my own post...just want to mention that i was VERY PLEASED that POLARPRO included an EXTREMELY RUGGED ZIPPERED HARDCASE and 3 small silky smooth pouches in addition to the three nd filters (ND4, ND8, ND16). these accessories were not mentioned in the product description posted online. PLEASANTLY SURPRISED...THANK YOU POLAR PRO!

Reactions: KramerMD
Hi,

Free Well filters
for Yuneec (Typhoon Q500 serie & Typhoon H) and Blade Chroma drones with CG03, CG03+ cameras:
yuneec-filter-6-pack.jpg

#1: 6 filters pack:

CPL - ND8- ND16- ND32- ND8/CPL (2 in 1 filter) - ND16/CPL (2 in 1 filter) + Lens Pen - US $ 149.99 without taxes & shipping
#2: 4 filters pack:
UV-CPL-ND4-ND8 + Lens Pen - US $ 69.99 without taxes & shipping
#3: 3 grad filters pack:
ND8 (3 Stops) Grey Graduated Filter /Orange Grad filter/Blue Grad filter + Lens Pen
US $ 39.99 without taxes & shipping
#4: Variable ND filter:
Variable ND 2-400 (Equals to 1 stop to 8 2/3 F stop ) - US $ 29.99 without taxes & shipping
#5: ND/CPL filter:
ND32/CPL (2 in 1 filter ) - US $ 39.99 without taxes & shipping

Shipping start from 31st march 2016.
More infos about Free Well Gear products for Yuneec:

http://freewellgear.com/48-yuneec-accessories
http://freewellgear.com

Reactions: pownalite
@KramerMD Fantastic shot !
How did you set to shot stills, while rec. video ?
Beside the bad weather , I was busy and did not study more the bird.
hey, kramerMD....are you gonna review these filters too? i am especially interested in the graduated filters. i hope so...and that you get a freebie set out of the deal. you deserve a medal (more than just that!) for all the time and effort you devote to this forum. for the record...kramerMD is a professional photographer who is kindly spending much time testing a set of polar pro nd filters that i bought and sent him. he is likely going to post an in depth critique of his findings on this forum soon.

Last edited:
I removed the included filter because it was obviously just cheap plastic. I have never used UV filters on my Nikor lenses; why degrade good glass.
I hear that an ND filter is necessary for good video in sunlight, but don't see the lack of quality without one. And I'm pickey!
The use of the filter is to lower the amount of light coming into the camera so that you can film with a slower shutter speed. The target to achieve cinematographic video is 1/(2 x Frame Rate) so at 30 fps you want your shutter running at 1/60. The ND filters allow you to achieve this and maintain exposure.

There's some great videos on youtube explaining this and showing the effect, check them out,

Here are test images of the PolarPro ND 16 straight out of the camera with no adjustments.
ISO 100
1/60
EV -1/3
This image is 4096 x 2160
JPEG Gorgeous Setting

JPEG with ND16 PolarPro

ND16-YUN00005.jpg

JPEG without ND filter

YUN00013.jpg

There is slight vignetting on the ND16 filter image.
Vignetting is less pronounced when using a slower shutter speed.

Last edited:
Test images of
PolarPro ND 16
From DNG file
Straight out of the camera with no adjustments other than converted from DNG to JPEG
ISO 100
1/60
EV -1/3

This image is 3992 x 2992
DNG Gorgeous Setting

DNG Gorgeous Setting With ND 16

ND16-YUN00007.jpg

DNG Gorgeous Setting Without ND16

YUN00023.jpg

Last edited:
hey, kramerMD....are you gonna review these filters too? i am especially interested in the graduated filters. i hope so...and that you get a freebie set out of the deal. you deserve a medal (more than just that!) for all the time and effort you devote to this forum. for the record...kramerMD is a professional photographer who is kindly spending much time testing a set of polar pro nd filters that i bought and sent him. he is likely going to post an in depth critique of his findings on this forum soon.

Yes, I will review.

Here are the above images after Adobe LightRoom adjustments

ISO 100
1/60
EV -1/3
Gorgeous Setting

JPEG file - Polar Pro ND 16
with LightRoom adjustments
Org. resized to 1920 pixels

ND16-YUN00005z.jpg

From DNG file with the Polar Pro ND 16
with Adobe LightRoom adjustments
Org. resized to 1920 pixels

ND16-YUN00007z.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the above images with NO FILTER with Adobe LightRoom adjustments
ISO 100
1/60
EV -1/3
Gorgeous Setting

JPEG file - no filter
Adobe LightRoom adjustments
Org. file resized to 1920 pixels.

YUN00013z.jpg

From DNG file - no filter
Adobe LightRoom adjustments
Org. resized to 1920 pixels.

YUN00023z.jpg

There is light falloff on the left 1/3 of the images above.
The sun is coming in from the left. About 4pm CST.

I've noticed there is also light falloff from the right 1/3 of an image when the sun is coming in from the right side. Like this one of the 360 Grill created about 4 pm CST last week.

original_MDCIP-00114z.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a test of the Polar Pro ND 8.
Image straight from camera with no adjustments.
White balance locked to daylight.
5 PM CST

This image is 1920 x 1080.
The noise is totally unacceptable.
JPEG in gorgeous modeYUN00082.jpg

Below 3840 x 2160 image
with ND8
JPEG
natural mode

YUN00116.jpg

Below 3840 x 2160 image
with ND8
JPEG in Gorgeous mode

YUN00118.jpg

Here is a DNG gorgeous mode file with the ND8.
No adjustment other than DNG was converted to JPEG

YUN00086.jpg

Here another DNG in natural mode file with the ND8.
No adjustment other than DNG was converted to JPEG

YUN00122.jpg

Thus far, I really like the ND 16 filter best.
Not sure whether it is the NOISE in 1920 res or the ND8 is what I am not liking. Could be both.
I do not plan on posting ND8 images with LightRoom Adjustments because I just don't like, at all, the quality of these images.
More testing needed.
M2C.

Last edited:
Here is the Polar Pro ND4 Filter Test.
One thing I noticed from the ND8 Filter test was the exposures were set to automatic.
The F stop is fixed at 2.8 and the shutter will usually stay the same.
So, in auto mode, the variable is the ISO.
I had a photo of the pond with the ND8, the noise was horrible. Even on a great sunny afternoon. Why?
Well, the ISO changed due pond water being dark. This caused excessive grain.
For the image below I manually set the ISO to 100. And the noise is not excessive.

The one is a 1920 pixel JPEG in gorgeous mode with ND4. Straight from the camera.YUN00004.jpg

Next is the 12 MP File at 3992 x 2992 in JPEG in gorgeous mode with the ND4 straight from the camera

YUN00012.jpg

Here is the 1920 pixel image with the ND4 with Adobe LightRoom Adjustments

YUN00004_resizez.jpg

And finally the 12 MP 3992 x 2992 in JPEG in gorgeous mode with the ND4 with LightRoom Adjustments and resized to 1920 pixels.

YUN00012_resizez.jpg

Locking down the ISO, Shutter Speed and White Balance is important for consistency from one exposure to another.

A color calibrated monitor used for all tests.

The ND4 is on par with the ND16 for quality. I plan to redo the ND8 test as the results were not what I expected from the ND8 filter. M2C,

Last edited:
The exposure settings and getting a good working set of numbers to use is going to be key to making great images. Thanks Kramer for working thru all the different possibilities. I am following this thread with great interest. Glad you have the time to do this testing.

I too realized with some minimal testing that you have to get the camera out of Automatic and adjust the settings yourself. I have no problem doing that but something that would be very helpful would be some kind of feature to save those settings in the Camera. User Profiles would be nice where you could have settings for the camera already stored and ready for use.

I just received the 3 ND filters from Best Buy - they were in stock and shipped right away. I haven't had the chance to try them out yet but they seemed good quality. If i remember correctly it came with an ND4, ND8 and ND16. BTW, my Q500 4k did come with a UV filter. It was wrapped up in the small ziplock baggie of accessories.

replying to my own post...just want to mention that i was VERY PLEASED that POLARPRO included an EXTREMELY RUGGED ZIPPERED HARDCASE and 3 small silky smooth pouches in addition to the three nd filters (ND4, ND8, ND16). these accessories were not mentioned in the product description posted online. PLEASANTLY SURPRISED...THANK YOU POLAR PRO!

=====================

PRODUCT UPDATE AS OF 04/21/2016:
FYI...BE ADVISED THAT ACCORDING TO POLAR PRO CUSTOMER SERVICE, THESE FILTERS ARE NOT MULTICOATED...but they seem to work well. See email below.
To: Carl Villanueva

Message body
Hi Carl,
I apologize for the delayed response.
Our Yuneec filters are not multicoated. Having said that, the optics are still extremely sharp and clear.
If you were to purchase them and found that you were not impressed you'd be able to return them for your money back no questions asked.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,
Daniel M. Morris | Sr. Operations Manager | PolarPro
O: 949-220-9395| www.polarprofilters.com

===============

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Carl Villanueva <[email protected]> wrote:
hi dan-
are these q500 filters "multicoated"?
thanks,
carl

POLAR PRO ND FILTER UPDATE (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO)
It is impossible to identify the density of the ND filters when in the PolarPro case, so i used a white paint marker to identify where each filter is stored in the hardcase wallet, and then used a toothpick to put small white paint dots on the edge of each of the filters so they are easily recognizable. ND4= 1 dot, ND8= 2 dots, ND16= 3 dots. it works for me! SEE ATTACHED PHOTO

Attachments

• IMG_3593_10x14_72s.jpg
    IMG_3593_10x14_72s.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Eric C and KramerMD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval