Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ND filters

Reaction score
I see there are ND filters like ND4, ND8, etc... and I see there is variable ND filter which can be adjusted.

My concern is....how separate ND filters can be compared to this one variable ND filters. Is it for sure the same effect, or it is better to use separate ND filter for every situation you need ?

One more thing...how about ND/CPL filter in one. Is this good thing ?

In any flight the weather is unlikely to change that much where you were constantly having to change the ND filter. So the variable would not be changed much during the day. If it is the Freewell it is much heavier than the normal ones.

So what should one be looking for when determining whether to use a ND filter and then what number to use?

I think Captain Drone tested a variable ND filter and put up a YouTube video about it. Apparently when you make it darker it starts to introduce a purple tinge to your video :(
Anyway instead I got a set of 3 Polar Pros for my H, ND4,8 &16. Can say that they were not cheap in OZ but the quality is really good!
I use the ND16 on really sunny days for video work they make the footage nice and smooth by bringing my shutter speed down.
Here's a sample video shot with the H and the ND16 filter :)
Watch the truck come into frame on the right at 0:43 and you will see it smoothly move along the road:)

Ok, thanks guys.
Anyone else is producing filters for typhoon H beside Freewell and Polar Pro ? Polarpro does not have wide range of filters, just 3.

I've been using the Polar Pros since May and have only 2 of them. I also tried the Freewell set, one time, and never used them again. You'll do just fine with the Polar Pro set. Put some of the time researching ND filters into learning how and why they are employed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch the truck come into frame on the right at 0:43 and you will see it smoothly move along the road:)

I thought I read one time that the shutter speed should be twice the frame rate. Does anyone know what that target shutter speed should be?

I thought I read one time that the shutter speed should be twice the frame rate. Does anyone know what that target shutter speed should be?
Your shutter speed should be twice your frame rate :)
Here's some examples:
24p = 48th of a second shutter speed.
25p = 50th of a second
30p = 60th of a second
60p = 120th and so on........

You can't always get the right shutter speed on these cams so it's best to get as close as possible. If you want to shoot at 24p then I think on the CGO3+ the nearest shutter speed is a 50th of a second, it's so close you shouldn't notice any difference.
If you tried to shoot in 24p without a filter in bright sunlight your shutter speed might be as high as 640th of a second then you will suffer from stuttering video footage :)

GREAT! Thanks Rob. That was exactly what I was looking for.

I've mostly used ND filters in still photography to slow shutter speeds for water falls and for getting proper DOF.

I have the Freewell ND filter 4 pack. One of the filters is a UV filter which they say is, obliviously, for blocking UV light and protects the lens. Is it ok to leave the UV filter on all the time? I am not a professional Photographer. All my experience is point and shoot cameras. Thx.

I've been using the Polar Pros since May and have only 2 of them. I also tried the Freewell set, one time, and never used them again. You'll do just fine with the Polar Pro set. Put some of the time researching ND filters into learning how and why they are employed.
Are you saying that Freewell are no good or just you don't use them ?

What about ND/CPL combination ? Is that anything better ?

Are you saying that Freewell are no good or just you don't use them ?

What about ND/CPL combination ? Is that anything better ?

I found they added distortion to the image. In particular their adjustable filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Captain Drone tested a variable ND filter and put up a YouTube video about it. Apparently when you make it darker it starts to introduce a purple tinge to your video :(
Anyway instead I got a set of 3 Polar Pros for my H, ND4,8 &16. Can say that they were not cheap in OZ but the quality is really good!
I use the ND16 on really sunny days for video work they make the footage nice and smooth by bringing my shutter speed down.
Here's a sample video shot with the H and the ND16 filter :)
Yes I experienced the purple tinge when you turn it full dark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop