Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Neighbors complaining about my Drone flying

Reaction score
I live in the suburbs and usually take my phantom 3 out to the park or the beach but since i received my typhoon h ive been getting home late from work and decided to fly around my home a couple of times now , and just today i had a couple of neighbors come to me while i was flying it and complaining about supposely the noise and that why im taking pictures of their homes , (which i wasnt ) i dont even care about their homes, i guess ill never fly my drone around here anymore , thinking maybe ive invested to much in a to stigmated hobby.

People have been conditioned by the media to perceive drones in a negative way. Perhaps involving them in some of your activities to educate them in the pleasures and benefits of RC in general and drones in particular would alter their opinions to something more favorable. You'll have to be a diplomat, and of course avoid flying over their homes.

In my thread I just started some photos were taken in town at my dad's place and 3 neighbors came out but not to complain, but to enjoy the show. They were amazed.

In the shooting (firearms) community many folks have reported that they've taken some anti-gun folks out shooting and they enjoyed themselves and somewhat became converts. Maybe your neighbors would enjoy it if you showed them the view of their community from up above and ask if they'd like an aerial photo of their home, etc. Try to win them over! Now, if they're dope in their backyard, maybe that won't work!

Reactions: Spazzbecker
it just kills my moment of excitement , when im enjoying myself and they complain lime that , especially when ive always been a good neighbor never once complain about them in any way, but i undestand what you mean @PatR

In my thread I just started some photos were taken in town at my dad's place and 3 neighbors came out but not to complain, but to enjoy the show. They were amazed.

In the shooting (firearms) community many folks have reported that they've taken some anti-gun folks out shooting and they enjoyed themselves and somewhat became converts. Maybe your neighbors would enjoy it if you showed them the view of their community from up above and ask if they'd like an aerial photo of their home, etc. Try to win them over! Now, if they're dope in their backyard, maybe that won't work![/QUOTE

i tried to show them the rc and the view , they didnt care about even glancing at it, making me all kinds of question, ( if i had a pilot license) another neighbor said its to loud , and its just 5:30 in the afternoon

i tried to show them the rc and the view , they didnt care about even glancing at it, making me all kinds of question, ( if i had a pilot license) another neighbor said its to loud , and its just 5:30 in the afternoon
If you fly only on your own property, and you can't kindly and politely woo them over! F-em !

I live in the suburbs and usually take my phantom 3 out to the park or the beach but since i received my typhoon h ive been getting home late from work and decided to fly around my home a couple of times now , and just today i had a couple of neighbors come to me while i was flying it and complaining about supposely the noise and that why im taking pictures of their homes , (which i wasnt ) i dont even care about their homes, i guess ill never fly my drone around here anymore , thinking maybe ive invested to much in a to stigmated hobby.
At what altitude were you flying? Try to look at it from their perspective. I like my privacy and that is why I live in the middle of nowere. I get annoyed when small planes continuously circle over my farm. If someone were to park on the side of the road and fly a UAV continuously over my house or farm buildings I would not be happy. If they were flying between 350 to 400 ft up however I probably wouldn't know unless I witnessed them take off. Likewise as much as low altitude single engine planes circling the farm anoy me jetliners at higher elevation don't intrude on my privacy. You could also invite them to see what you are doing and show them what you see on the screen when the UAV is at 400 ft. Most assume we have zoom lenses and can see them up close and personal. You can also explain that you are recreationally flying, like a kite, and not necessessarily taking video/pictures. Show them how cool it is and maybe they will be an ally. Slower flying and at higher altitude with the H should not have a very noticeable audio or visual signature.

thats what i figure dc , but i dont like to be an *** o of a neighbor , i just landed my h and put it away.is it something where they can call the police on me?

At what altitude were you flying? Try to look at it from their perspective. I like my privacy and that is why I live in the middle of nowere. I get annoyed when small planes continuously circle over my farm. If someone were to park on the side of the road and fly a UAV continuously over my house or farm buildings I would not be happy. If they were flying between 350 to 400 ft up however I probably wouldn't know unless I witnessed them take off. Likewise as much as low altitude single engine planes circling the farm anoy me jetliners at higher elevation don't intrude on my privacy. You could also invite them to see what you are doing and show them what you see on the screen when the UAV is at 400 ft. Most assume we have zoom lenses and can see them up close and personal. You can also explain that you are recreationally flying, like a kite, and not necessessarily taking video/pictures. Show them how cool it is and maybe they will be an ally. Slower flying and at higher altitude with the H should not have a very noticeable audio or visual signature.
i was flying around 180 feet

Whenever someone who does not own a drone, tells me a story about a drone, it always involves a drone looking into an apartment window, looking at a girl sunbathing or women on the beach sunbathing. There are no other drone stories.
All I can suggest is to educate your neighbors, show them your controller and the image it takes and how it would be impossible to spy in their windows.

Also... I do find the Typhoon H makes one **** of a racket when in a neighbourhood. The sound just echoes off the buildings.

thats what i figure dc , but i dont like to be an *** o of a neighbor , i just landed my h and put it away.is it something where they can call the police on me?
You'd have to Check local ordinances but most likely there is no law YET. There was a video recently posted by someone up on their local laws and was intentionly flying over a state police station. The first officer to respond did not know the law and ended up being told to stand down by a supperior officer. I personally believe that will quickly lead to more legislation.

No, unless your city has a ordnance against flying in city limits!. I live in a very rural Texas farming community and plenty space between me and my neighbors, plus, In Texas it's don't mess with me State and everyone just minds there own business as long as property is not trespassed, they care less what you do on your property! That's why If if they messed with me flying on my property, I'd just tell them F-off and I would never do that, because they would never say anything. But then all neighborhoods and States and people are different everywhere. I believe "Live and Let Live" as my motto all my life! Sorry if I gave you Texas mentality for your neighbor!;)

People have been conditioned by the media to perceive drones in a negative way. Perhaps involving them in some of your activities to educate them in the pleasures and benefits of RC in general and drones in particular would alter their opinions to something more favorable. You'll have to be a diplomat, and of course avoid flying over their homes.

There should be a define neighborhood peace time. If it is not that time, then I don't think there is a problem.

People that buy homes and property expect some privacy to go along with that investment. I expect the same for my home. Respect is something earned and if you want it you have to give it. Demonstrate a lack of it, especially when flying something the public has been repeatedly informed is looking in their back yards and windows and trouble, for you, is sure to follow. There's already been one video posted in this forum by a guy flying his H doing nothing other than looking in people's yards. Front and back. The government has just the other day released some "respecting privacy" guidelines. If people want to turn that guideline into a law, just run roughshod over the rights of others. It's much too easy for cities to prohibit RC operation inside city limits. They can't limit the airspace all that much but they can certainly prohibit take off and landing. Such is happening all over the country.

I'm sort of like DroneClone and live out in the country where stepping on people's toes is a lot more difficult to do. Those living in cities and towns where neighbors are all crammed together will have a tougher time of it. People in those areas are already tense because of the density.

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneClone
People are so concerned about privacy issues with drones in the sky but they fail to realize every single person is walking around with a fairly high def cam that can zoom in on what ever they want.....flying at 180 feet you won't see **** in someones back yard. Some people irritate me sometimes

The subject of neighbors and people complaining has sure come up before.

Our neighborhood uses that app called 'nextdoor' on our phones that keeps us
connected so they are informed that my Phantom, soon to be H, makes routine
flights over there homes.

So far not one complaint, I have gave several of them pictures that I have
taken of them waving as I fly by.

I live in a desert area and have weekly waypoint missions that can go out
a mile or two round trip looking for illegal dumping and other activity.

Fun stuff!

Reactions: Cristian and NFB
I am always paranoid of this. I have a fairly big property and have tried to make sure the neighbors are all well aware of what I am doing. Thankfully they are mostly just fascinated by the drones and really interested. I try to include them (with goggles etc.) when I can. I dread the day when one of them complains though. As others have pointed out there is so much negativity in the media that it is bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval