Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New in box, what's required for first flight?

Reaction score
Sad but true. I was one of the first to purchase a Typhoon H and the real sense module. They are still in the box!!! Had a health scare and employment change. Should I try to fly out of the box or update all firmware first and if so where do I find them?
Ready to get back in the game. Need advise.

Charge the ST16 controller, and the Aircraft battery. Once they are charged turn on the ST16, install the battery in the aircraft, remove the gimbal lock cover from the camera and power on the aircraft.

If the aircraft and camera bind to the controller, select System Settings, select OK, select About Controller, then take a photo of the version screen that appears and post it here using Attach files. This will allow us to see what version of firmware and software your system is on.

Please clarify... this is an H from summer 2016 and it has sat since? I'd advise caution with a LiPo that has sat for 4-5 years.

Just to piggy-back off of what Eagle's Eye Video said; pay attention to details such as how long the first charge takes, any unusual lights on the charger (assuming you're using the stock charger). If this was in fact a new from factory - never charged and never used battery - you may be okay but just take it slow and don't over use them at first.

Suggest strongly:
- read the owners manual carefully first,
- do software updates,
- charge BUT be very suspicious and careful
with such old batteries (maybe charge
outside just in case anything untoward
happens),
- Make sure you properly calibrated the
compass and acceleromeeter BEFORE you
attempt to take off .... flyaways do happen.
- Don't calibrate drone within 15 yards of
reinforced concrete or metal structures,
- Don't take off from reinforced concrete or
metal structures,
- Leave watch and phone in car whilst doing
calbrations,
- Learn where the RTH (Home switch) is, what
it does and make sure the minimum height
is set to avoid obstacles where you intend to
fly BEFORE you fly the first time.
- DON'T take off in Smart Mode .... use Angle
Mode until you know how to fly the drone.
Smart Mode should only be used once you
understand what it does. Take offs in Smart
Mode have caused many unhappy faces,
- Learn how to fly the drone in manual mode
(no GPS turned off) ...... atti mode for DJI
folks as soon as you can. Sometimes
it is the only way to control weird behaviour
or recover a fly away.
- turn on drone and controller and let them sit
for 15 - 20 minutes to build up the satellite
almanack .... vital to do before you fly first
time.
- Make sure the controller shows that your
drone and controller have acquired enough
satellites before you attempt to fly.

Hope this helps....... and have fun.

DO NOT fly with the GPS turned off unless you are an expert. I have 3 years of flying and over 100 hrs, I've only flown with the GPS turned off twice, once to get a sense what it's like and the other was an inside barn flight. Flying with the GPS turned off is not for the fainthearted, even the slightest breeze can be tricky..

Read all the sticky threads in both the discussion and "How To" sections specific to the Typhoon H... they've been made sticky for a reason... ?

DO NOT fly with the GPS turned off unless you are an expert. I have 3 years of flying and over 100 hrs, I've only flown with the GPS turned off twice, once to get a sense what it's like and the other was an inside barn flight. Flying with the GPS turned off is not for the fainthearted, even the slightest breeze can be tricky..
Its a different beast for sure but flying without gps is a capability every drone pilot should have at least a rudimentary familiarity with. Trying to figure it out when your bird is on its way to "Oz" is to late...trust me ?

Its a different beast for sure but flying without gps is a capability every drone pilot should have at least a rudimentary familiarity with. Trying to figure it out when your bird is on its way to "Oz" is to late...trust me ?
True... and one of the best reasons to pick up the H flight simulator... you can within the sim, manually turn off GPS. Since the sim is run with the ST-16 you get a real feel how the sticks react, without risk to your H.

Not something to learn in the first few flights but something that can be useful in unusual situations ..... particularly if it gets a mind of its own as has happened.

I started off with a tether attached to landing gear and practiced take-off, landing and hover..... never went above 3 metres and I used the simulator a lot. Once I got the hang of controlling the skating effect things went well.

Here in Aussie land we have to demonstrate that we can fly the drone in manual mode (no GPS assist) in all attitudes (front on, rear on, side on) before we can get our commercial rating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval