Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New lens CGO3+

Reaction score
Hey all,

New here, and all new to Yuneec.
Bought my H a couple of days ago, used, but only flown a handful times.

Being a videomaker I have a few camera's and I also have a DJI Mavic 1. The mavic has flown close to 1300km's in the last 3 years and I thought it would be time for something new.
I have been reading about Yuneec, and have flown a Q500 once (long time ago) and there was something telling me to buy an H, and so I did.

It flies like a dream, I mean the Mavic is rock solid as some of you might know, but the H is something different all together.
After a few flights and a few recordings there was some disappointment, the quality of the image was not good, and the footage was hardly usable.
Found a few things on this great forum, and that helped me to try and adjust the lens slightly. That helped, somewhat.. but the edges were still a bit soft, and the image was not what I wanted it to be.

And so came the choice to try and source a new lens...
Looking at the lenses available I found out 1 thing, the lenses available also fit a DJI Osmo, and that gave me an idea.

I have 2 Osmo's that didn't survive a drop from eye height during a shoot. The gimbal was broken, but the camera was fine, and that was a good camera, hence I put it away instead of throwing it away.
I thought, if the lenses that you can buy online state that they fit a DJI Osmo, the one in a DJI Osmo will also fit the CGO3....

So, I cracked on and took it apart. Once disassembled I took the lens out and tried it in the CGO.It went in, but the base was not good, the lens couldn't focus.
I took the CGO apart completely, and took the lens base off, something I have found on this forum as well. The lense base of the Osmo went straight on, and after that the lens was able to focus.

I've put everything together again and tried to finetune it. it is amazing! no more soft edges. The lens is a 3,6mm, and I went from a 115 FOV to a 94 FOV. Something I also like.

Now all looks like it was meant to be, no one knows what has been done to this camera.

I will post a good image later, it is very cloudy today, not ideal weather for a nice bright picture.

I have attached some images of the transformation.

So, if you have an old, broken DJI Osmo (NOT OSMO+ since that has zoom) you could do this swap as well, it is not too hard.

Attachments

• IMG_20190716_202808.jpg
    IMG_20190716_202808.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20190716_202814.jpg
    IMG_20190716_202814.jpg
    960.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20190716_202846.jpg
    IMG_20190716_202846.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20190716_202851.jpg
    IMG_20190716_202851.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20190716_202918.jpg
    IMG_20190716_202918.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20190716_202951.jpg
    IMG_20190716_202951.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Frank Wang would be fuming to know such a thing was happening - keep up the good work :) Lols...
Seriously though, you were quite brave and adventurous to try that; a lot of people irreparably break their CGO's trying moves like that...

Reactions: Gelderdrone
The good thing is, everything still fits. No one knows what lens is on the camera!
Frank Wang would be fuming to know such a thing was happening - keep up the good work :) Lols...
Seriously though, you were quite brave and adventurous to try that; a lot of people irreparably break their CGO's trying moves like that...
IMG_20190716_221200.jpeg

Hey all,

Being a videomaker I have a few camera's and I also have a DJI Mavic 1. The mavic has flown close to 1300km's in the last 3 years and I thought it would be time for something new.
I have been reading about Yuneec, and have flown a Q500 once (long time ago) and there was something telling me to buy an H, and so I did.

It flies like a dream, I mean the Mavic is rock solid as some of you might know, but the H is something different all together.
After a few flights and a few recordings there was some disappointment, the quality of the image was not good, and the footage was hardly usable.
Found a few things on this great forum, and that helped me to try and adjust the lens slightly. That helped, somewhat.. but the edges were still a bit soft, and the image was not what I wanted it to be.

Looking at the lenses available I found out 1 thing, the lenses available also fit a DJI Osmo, and that gave me an idea.

I have 2 Osmo's that didn't survive a drop from eye height during a shoot. The gimbal was broken, but the camera was fine, and that was a good camera, hence I put it away instead of throwing it away.
I thought, if the lenses that you can buy online state that they fit a DJI Osmo, the one in a DJI Osmo will also fit the CGO3....

So, I cracked on and took it apart. Once disassembled I took the lens out and tried it in the CGO.It went in, but the base was not good, the lens couldn't focus.
I took the CGO apart completely, and took the lens base off, something I have found on this forum as well. The lense base of the Osmo went straight on, and after that the lens was able to focus.

I've put everything together again and tried to finetune it. it is amazing! no more soft edges. The lens is a 3,6mm, and I went from a 115 FOV to a 94 FOV. Something I also like.

Now all looks like it was meant to be, no one knows what has been done to this camera.

I will post a good image later, it is very cloudy today, not ideal weather for a nice bright picture.

So, if you have an old, broken DJI Osmo (NOT OSMO+ since that has zoom) you could do this swap as well, it is not too hard.
well, here is a good question. where are you taking your files from. the CGO itself or from the controller.

Hey all,

I need that lens put in my camera.....I video sprint car races on dirt....Dean'os videos

I agree that the Osmo lens image is not sharp when viewed on a 4K monitor. It may just need more careful focusing. The stock 115mm lens must have been pretty bad if Gelderdrone believes this one is better.
I am also quite happy with my 98-deg stock lenses. Here are a couple of examples from 4K screen grabs (ND16 filter, Natural color, white balance set with gray card, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/60-1/80):

Attachments

• Falls.jpg
    Falls.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Falls 2.jpg
    Falls 2.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: Sully53
I agree that the Osmo lens image is not sharp when viewed on a 4K monitor. It may just need more careful focusing. The stock 115mm lens must have been pretty bad if Gelderdrone believes this one is better.
I am also quite happy with my 98-deg stock lenses. Here are a couple of examples from 4K screen grabs (ND16 filter, Natural color, white balance set with gray card, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/60-1/80):
Something must've gone wrong, my picture is only 81kb, that explains why it looks crap on a 4K screen. The original is a lot bigger.

Something must've gone wrong, my picture is only 81kb, that explains why it looks crap on a 4K screen. The original is a lot bigger.
Hi Gelderdrone,
Would it not have been cheaper and easier to put a Pixaero lens or Peau in the cgo3+, rather than disable an Osmo or whatever it was. I have the 8mm Pixaero and the 3.27mm on separate cameras and about to do a 6mm Pixaero on another one. There are plenty of threads here for the different lenses. Just thinking out loud. I am not much of a photographer but use the H's for inspection work.
Johnno Hennessy.

Hi Gelderdrone,
Would it not have been cheaper and easier to put a Pixaero lens or Peau in the cgo3+, rather than disable an Osmo or whatever it was. I have the 8mm Pixaero and the 3.27mm on separate cameras and about to do a 6mm Pixaero on another one. There are plenty of threads here for the different lenses. Just thinking out loud. I am not much of a photographer but use the H's for inspection work.
Johnno Hennessy.
John, watch out for the 6mm Pixaero lens. I made that swap last year and was disappointed in the results. The focus was never quite right. Even after a lot of testing and fiddling the focus varied from one side of the image to the other. Also, there was a lot of vignetting (darkening towards the edges). I finally put the stock lens back in. Here's some Raw footage taken on back-to-back CCC flights with each lens (2 cameras):
Here's a couple of full screen grabs (hovering):

Attachments

• 2.5mm RAW.jpg
    2.5mm RAW.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 6mm RAW.jpg
    6mm RAW.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
Thanks Rubik,
I have the 8mm Pixaero and it took ages to get it focused correctly. I will look into that and see what I can find. Thanks , Johnno Hennessy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval