Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New old guy with an H+

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Charles and I’m a Yuneec Typhoon H+ junky.
I got introduced to the fabulous hobby of drone flight back in June of 2019 when my wife and I were in a LHS in Greensboro, NC and I was getting myself a Father’s Day gift of a RedCat Gen8 crawler/trail truck. While I was talking to the owner, my wife was talking to a salesman about other stuff. This other stuff turned out to be drones.
I have always loved flying model planes. Back when I was just a wee lad of about 10 or 11 years old, I heard a loud but small buzzing sound at a nearby airport while in the store just off to the side of it. I walked around trying to find what it was and saw the greatest sight of my young life. Turned out to be ½A control line flying by some people I had never met. Since our family had little money for such frivolities, I soon became the go to boy for cranking engines and holding for take offs. I was in Heaven!

Soon one of the kids my age took pity on me and offered to teach me how to fly these wonderful things. Naturally, I accepted.
I was soon able to fly a full tank out without getting dizzy and crashing. He offered me one of his older planes and an engine that needed some TLC and I saved my lunch money until I could pay for it and away I went.

I progressed onward to 35/40 sized planes such as the Sterling (IIRC) Ringmaster and others powered by Fox 35 Stunts and finally to a Fox 40 Stunt.
I had a ball learning to do loops, figure 8s and especially inverted flight. After I was grown, I got my first RC plane, a Goldberg Falcon 56MKII. Years later and much money spent, life and an ex stopped my fun for awhile.
FF to this year and back to the local hobby shop. The wife asked me if I might be interested in a drone. Well, at 64 years of age, I think pretty quick and never missed a beat saying, “YES!” So I walked out of the store with not only my RedCat Gen8 but a new RISE Archon drone. As I read the manual, I found that one requirement was to have an Amateur Radio License of at least the Technician level. What luck! I have held a Extra Class HAM license since about 1998. This drone uses the 6 meter HAM band for its radio and it works well. What I liked was it has its own view screen and no flipping cell phone needed, just like my Typhoon H+.
I bought and flew quite a few lesser drones of the BangGood variety and finally decided I would get me at least one good drone so I went looking for a Typhoon H Pro. Called that same LHS and inquired about the H Pro and the owner asked if I was set on that particular model and I asked him what he had in mind. Seems he had an H+ that he needed to part with quick so he could free up some cash for something else the store needed, and he let me have the H+ at a slightly reduced price. I got that thing home and I was so afraid of it that it sat for over a month under my hobby table. I kept practicing with the little drones and even crash/landed 4 times in a drone eating maple tree in my back lot turned RC playground.
FINALLY, I said, “The **** thing is mine, paid for and I was surely going to fly it even if I did crash it!”
Turns out it is the easiest thing I have ever flown, period.

Well, things led me here, so I’ll hang out some, if you don’t mind. I may not be a wealth of info, but I’ll do what I can while reading your stuff and learning all I can.
Thank you guys and gals for having me.
Charles/AKA Grumpy Old Man RC

Great story......and welcome to the Forum. The H Plus is an outstanding aircraft. As you might guess it won't like your maple tree.
Be sure to download the updated manual. It was created by members of this forum and contains lots of good information. In addition some members have created some great video tutorials.

Here is a link for the updated manual: https://yuneecpilots.com/attachments/typhoon_h_plus_manualv0-8-pdf.16520/

And the How to pages: Typhoon H Plus "How To"

Reactions: Andrew Grant
From one Grumpy Old Man to another, welcome to the forum. and I agree with Steve above...Great story.

I don't have a H Plus...I'm still flying the original H, but there are plenty of people on this forum that do and are a wealth of valuable knowledge.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hey, a hearty welcome to YuneecPilots from one of the younger members (well 2 years or so). You have a great aircraft in the H+, it is a sweet flier.
My son flies the <250 gram quads in acrobat mode and I just can’t seem to get the hang of it. Adding and subtracting throttle any time the right stick is moved just doesn’t relay from my brain to my hands with any precision. I’ll stick to my TH Pro that I got last December.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Welcome. I have both a Typhoon Q500 and H Plus. My H Plus is in the shop right now after a crash but I'm still flying the Q500 until the Plus is repaired. My advice is ALWAYS, repeat ALWAYS make sure your battery is securely inserted into battery compartment. You should hear a "click" when inserted firmly. I was flying my H+ to lower battery voltage levels. One was down to 40% so I took it out and replaced with another battery. The quadcopter was flying out around 100 feet and only 25 ft in the air. I pushed left stick to gain attitude. The bird rose up and immediately nosedived. When I got to the crash scene, the battery was about 5 feet behind drone. My guess is on replacing 2nd battery, even though thinking it was pushed in firmly, it wasn't secured. I repeat ALWAYS make sure your battery is securely inserted into battery compartment.

I got introduced to the fabulous hobby of drone flight back in June of 2019 when my wife and I were in a LHS in Greensboro, NC and I was getting myself a Father’s Day gift of a RedCat Gen8 crawler/trail truck. While I was talking to the owner, my wife was talking to a salesman about other stuff. This other stuff turned out to be drones.
I have always loved flying model planes. Back when I was just a wee lad of about 10 or 11 years old, I heard a loud but small buzzing sound at a nearby airport while in the store just off to the side of it. I walked around trying to find what it was and saw the greatest sight of my young life. Turned out to be ½A control line flying by some people I had never met. Since our family had little money for such frivolities, I soon became the go to boy for cranking engines and holding for take offs. I was in Heaven!

Soon one of the kids my age took pity on me and offered to teach me how to fly these wonderful things. Naturally, I accepted.
I was soon able to fly a full tank out without getting dizzy and crashing. He offered me one of his older planes and an engine that needed some TLC and I saved my lunch money until I could pay for it and away I went.

I progressed onward to 35/40 sized planes such as the Sterling (IIRC) Ringmaster and others powered by Fox 35 Stunts and finally to a Fox 40 Stunt.
I had a ball learning to do loops, figure 8s and especially inverted flight. After I was grown, I got my first RC plane, a Goldberg Falcon 56MKII. Years later and much money spent, life and an ex stopped my fun for awhile.
FF to this year and back to the local hobby shop. The wife asked me if I might be interested in a drone. Well, at 64 years of age, I think pretty quick and never missed a beat saying, “YES!” So I walked out of the store with not only my RedCat Gen8 but a new RISE Archon drone. As I read the manual, I found that one requirement was to have an Amateur Radio License of at least the Technician level. What luck! I have held a Extra Class HAM license since about 1998. This drone uses the 6 meter HAM band for its radio and it works well. What I liked was it has its own view screen and no flipping cell phone needed, just like my Typhoon H+.
I bought and flew quite a few lesser drones of the BangGood variety and finally decided I would get me at least one good drone so I went looking for a Typhoon H Pro. Called that same LHS and inquired about the H Pro and the owner asked if I was set on that particular model and I asked him what he had in mind. Seems he had an H+ that he needed to part with quick so he could free up some cash for something else the store needed, and he let me have the H+ at a slightly reduced price. I got that thing home and I was so afraid of it that it sat for over a month under my hobby table. I kept practicing with the little drones and even crash/landed 4 times in a drone eating maple tree in my back lot turned RC playground.
FINALLY, I said, “The **** thing is mine, paid for and I was surely going to fly it even if I did crash it!”

Well, things led me here, so I’ll hang out some, if you don’t mind. I may not be a wealth of info, but I’ll do what I can while reading your stuff and learning all I can.

Welcome to the group, it’s an honor to have you join us!!

Reactions: Docdor
Great story......and welcome to the Forum. The H Plus is an outstanding aircraft. As you might guess it won't like your maple tree.
Be sure to download the updated manual. It was created by members of this forum and contains lots of good information. In addition some members have created some great video tutorials.

Here is a link for the updated manual: https://yuneecpilots.com/attachments/typhoon_h_plus_manualv0-8-pdf.16520/

And the How to pages: Typhoon H Plus "How To"
Thanks Steve. I have downloaded the manual and marked the "How To" pages. They should be a great help to me and the wife.

From one Grumpy Old Man to another, welcome to the forum. and I agree with Steve above...Great story.

I don't have a H Plus...I'm still flying the original H, but there are plenty of people on this forum that do and are a wealth of valuable knowledge.
I've been lurking for a spell and have already picked up some tips. Especially why I could not do any calibrations beyond compass. I don't really need to, but I don't like being told I can't.

Like everyone already stated welcome to the forum, your going to enjoy your time here, and also learn alot.

Hey, a hearty welcome to YuneecPilots from one of the younger members (well 2 years or so). You have a great aircraft in the H+, it is a sweet flier.
My son flies the <250 gram quads in acrobat mode and I just can’t seem to get the hang of it. Adding and subtracting throttle any time the right stick is moved just doesn’t relay from my brain to my hands with any precision. I’ll stick to my TH Pro that I got last December.
Yeah, I have a friend that flies one of the DJoooooooooooh, dare I say I drones and he's going to stop with all GPS camera drones and get one of the little zippy arse thingies that you wear those googles with and fly for 4 minutes and then crash and hope you can hear the beeps so you can find it. To me that may be ok for about 3 minutes and then I want to try to get some decent video/photos.

Maybe there should be an separate forum just for us grumpy old farts. Remember, Youth And Enthusiasm Are No Match For Old Age And Treachery.
I always thought that we should be born old so we would be able to learn things while we were more calm and not able to do much shenanigans. As we get younger, we would grow even smarter to where when we finally got to where we could cut up a little we had he smarts to stay outta trouble.
Finally having learned all we could we would be in our infancy and know better than to crap our diapers for someone else to need to clean up. Then we could go right back to where some of us spent so much time and effort to get to.

Reactions: Docdor
Welcome. I have both a Typhoon Q500 and H Plus. My H Plus is in the shop right now after a crash but I'm still flying the Q500 until the Plus is repaired. My advice is ALWAYS, repeat ALWAYS make sure your battery is securely inserted into battery compartment. You should hear a "click" when inserted firmly. I was flying my H+ to lower battery voltage levels. One was down to 40% so I took it out and replaced with another battery. The quadcopter was flying out around 100 feet and only 25 ft in the air. I pushed left stick to gain attitude. The bird rose up and immediately nosedived. When I got to the crash scene, the battery was about 5 feet behind drone. My guess is on replacing 2nd battery, even though thinking it was pushed in firmly, it wasn't secured. I repeat ALWAYS make sure your battery is securely inserted into battery compartment.
Great advice! I always try to pull the battery back out after I feel and hear it click into place. I now have 6 of the Venom HV orange batteries and the Venom charger to go with them. I haven't even gotten enough time to fly out all all 8 batteries due to my physical limitations but I hope to get a shot on 10-18-19 to help alleviate some of my problems and with the cooler weather, I'll be flying more.

Reactions: Thecloth
Like everyone already stated welcome to the forum, your going to enjoy your time here, and also learn alot.
Ahhh, to learn. I did not finish high school because I was so arrogant and knew I had learned about all I could from it. This was true and I had no money for college so that avenue was out. I did however keep reading and trying things with both success and failure. I found that i learned a lot from both. At 64 and being crippled, I find one of the few joys I have left is learning. Once I learn things, no one can take them away like they can so many other things.

Welcome amigo you have found the right place the + is a quirky bird but once you deal with those issues, it’s the best aircraft out there period you won’t be sorry be sure to watch some you tube videos there are some quite good. Happy flying to you, cheers!

Welcome amigo you have found the right place the + is a quirky bird but once you deal with those issues, it’s the best aircraft out there period you won’t be sorry be sure to watch some you tube videos there are some quite good. Happy flying to you, cheers!
Drones and other RC vehicles opened my eyes to the fact that YT was good for other things than old Bangles and cat/cucumber videos.?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval