Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Typhoon H owner

Reaction score
Hi all
I’m from Sussex UK. I’ve been in the background reading lots of discussions, learned a lot. So I thought to my self don’t just read, join in.... so here I am.. My son got me into this as he is a model club member, he flies wings as well as a collection of multi rotors...
He’s young so has lightning fast reactions to wizz / flip and turn these fast little multi rotors. ( which he’s not old enough to own! )
So with me chauffeuring my son to the club fields and back I thought, it’s my turn. I love photography so reading a lot of pilots posts, I bought the typhoon H. It’s been a few months now, and YTH is fab. For the last week or so flying with tuition (from my son) with no GPS/lights/camera to get full understanding of orientation and manoeuvrability. I’m not fast but I like slow and steady ready to capture the right video or photo. ..
Now maybe because of the Gatwick fiasco there’s been a complete clamp down on where to fly.. The local council have put notices up every where to No model flying or anything that uses a remote control.. not just large parks, every where. Basically this kid can’t play..have fun anymore. Just in the club field.

So please no more nice pictures I get jealous very easily?unless you know a local place to fly...

Reactions: ChuckBridges
Welcome aboard Salv, sorry to here that you folks are limited where to fly.:(
So why don't ya just hop in your Hawker 800 jump across the pond, there's plenty of places to fly.;)

Hi @Salv
I live in the U.K. too, but I gotta say that I don't have many problems about where to fly. Of course I can't just fly anywhere, especially with regard to hobby flights, but If I jump into my car I can be at several places where it is good to fly within just 10 minutes. That said, I live on the slopes of the Pennines so that 10 minute drive can put me on the Pennine way.

Have you thought about getting in touch with your local authority to ask for permission to fly within the places that the council controls? There is a place about a mile away from me that has a 'Public Space Protection Order' on it. In order for me to fly there I presented a safety case to my local authority along with my Remote Pilot's certificate and they have granted me sole permission to fly that area. Prove to your council that you are responsible and you may get permission...no harm in asking.

For all the places that I've wanted to fly but needed permission I have only ever been refused once. You just need to ask. For example, I will be doing an operation in a congested area under a PfCO exemption in the next week or so but I needed an area that will give me at least 30mtrs clearance of stuff not under my control for the take-off and landing phases. The only place that gave me that was the grounds of a church. A swift email to the vicar (priest to you Americans) asking for permission was a success. People are accommodating...they just need to be asked.

Reactions: DoomMeister
As FlushVision said, your best course of action is to ask permission and demonstrate that you are a responsible pilot. The Gatwick fiasco was a heaping pile of dung that fell on all of the law abiding responsible UAV pilots in the UK. My opinion was that this was a ploy to get anti-drone technology installed there before the sale of the airport. What better time to get John Q. Public behind your efforts than to pull a stunt like Gatwick at holiday season.

Best of luck finding places to fly in the UK! There are several from the UK that are regular contributors to the Photos and Videos forum, so there are a places to fly there. Welcome to YuneecPilots and we are glad you decided to join our community.

unless you know a local place to fly...

Again, Welcome. There may be someone in your area. I know there are at least two in or near the Sussex area, and there may be others. Here is an invitation to view and add your mark to the Yuneec Pilots Locations map. As more people add their mark, you may find someone in your area, or someone may be able to find you.
"Yuneec Pilots Locations Map - Link and Process"

Hi @Salv
I live in the U.K. too, but I gotta say that I don't have many problems about where to fly. Of course I can't just fly anywhere, especially with regard to hobby flights, but If I jump into my car I can be at several places where it is good to fly within just 10 minutes. That said, I live on the slopes of the Pennines so that 10 minute drive can put me on the Pennine way.

Have you thought about getting in touch with your local authority to ask for permission to fly within the places that the council controls? There is a place about a mile away from me that has a 'Public Space Protection Order' on it. In order for me to fly there I presented a safety case to my local authority along with my Remote Pilot's certificate and they have granted me sole permission to fly that area. Prove to your council that you are responsible and you may get permission...no harm in asking.

For all the places that I've wanted to fly but needed permission I have only ever been refused once. You just need to ask. For example, I will be doing an operation in a congested area under a PfCO exemption in the next week or so but I needed an area that will give me at least 30mtrs clearance of stuff not under my control for the take-off and landing phases. The only place that gave me that was the grounds of a church. A swift email to the vicar (priest to you Americans) asking for permission was a success. People are accommodating...they just need to be asked.
Hi @Salv

Hi flushvision
I have called the council technical parks manager.
His reply in short was, it’s in the bylaws but we’re not enforced.. and the police are taking increased calls by persons seeing people with a remote controls in there hands. Also a few incidents with dogs and drones! So it’s just a blanket ban. With my self and son, public have approached us, and just kind words were spoken. Nothing negative. We take turns to fly so there is always some one watching. We like to think we’re responsible flyers.. we even stop flying if we see more than 3 people/or a dog.
I’ve called one farmer. To be fair he said ‘if I let you fly it could be a calling card for other flyers, and then I got more things to worry about. He even mentioned that he brought a drone for his son but that ended badly.. so he was not against drones just foot fall...
I’ve not given up yet but it is difficult....

Hi flushvision
I have called the council technical parks manager.
His reply in short was, it’s in the bylaws but we’re not enforced.. and the police are taking increased calls by persons seeing people with a remote controls in there hands. Also a few incidents with dogs and drones! So it’s just a blanket ban. With my self and son, public have approached us, and just kind words were spoken. Nothing negative. We take turns to fly so there is always some one watching. We like to think we’re responsible flyers.. we even stop flying if we see more than 3 people/or a dog.
I’ve called one farmer. To be fair he said ‘if I let you fly it could be a calling card for other flyers, and then I got more things to worry about. He even mentioned that he brought a drone for his son but that ended badly.. so he was not against drones just foot fall...
I’ve not given up yet but it is difficult....
Perhaps you should download an app to see where you can fly like UAV forecast etc which could give you an idea of where you could fly.

You can also try AirMap. I am not a fan of the app, but it has made improvements in the last six months and gotten rid of a lot of the small nuisance farmer’s airstrip warnings.

Also another. Can't vouch for it, but worth a look.

Looked at that. Looking at that map and the places that some of the icons are, I'd say it is rather iffy. Some places are on National Trust land. Only possible to fly on NT land if you have a permission from the NT and then you can only get intermission at certain times of the year (ground nesting birds, etc.) One icon was at Blackpool on the beach and the tower. That is a congested area...only possible to fly there if you are flying under PfCO exemptions. Just to the South of the tower is a NFZ...iffy. I wouldn't fly at that spot unless it's a PfCO job.

In summary, It's a map showing where people have flown...not where people have flown legally

Good find though..

Thank you all
I've have been on and downloaded some of these apps. And as mentioned before, it looks like a lot of these places are where people have flown with permission or not!. They are/it is a good starting point for research before I go.
My son likes 'Drone scene' regarding drone builds and programming.. So there is all ways something good that comes out of these chats.
I get so engrossed in veriuous info on these threads that my coffee gets cold....that's got isn't it?
It's good to learn from others with the same passion...to stay up in the air and not have a heart stopping moment because of lack of time, understanding and preparation....

Looked at that. Looking at that map and the places that some of the icons are, I'd say it is rather iffy. Some places are on National Trust land. Only possible to fly on NT land if you have a permission from the NT and then you can only get intermission at certain times of the year (ground nesting birds, etc.) One icon was at Blackpool on the beach and the tower. That is a congested area...only possible to fly there if you are flying under PfCO exemptions. Just to the South of the tower is a NFZ...iffy. I wouldn't fly at that spot unless it's a PfCO job.

In summary, It's a map showing where people have flown...not where people have flown legally

Good find though..
Personally I check to see if there is any restrictions with different Apps, if there is I don't bother, a lot of my area is OK except for one airport miles away which I don't go near, Cotswold quite remote and rural, Devon isn't too bad Exeter airport a no, never bothered with National trust land, there are some areas here in the middle of nowhere just a field or common nothing on it, no buildings or remains, just for wild flower preservation, I suppose someone could fly over it at their own risk, asking for hassle if you fly over NT buildings etc.

Personally I check to see if there is any restrictions with different Apps, if there is I don't bother, a lot of my area is OK except for one airport miles away which I don't go near, Cotswold quite remote and rural, Devon isn't too bad Exeter airport a no, never bothered with National trust land, there are some areas here in the middle of nowhere just a field or common nothing on it, no buildings or remains, just for wild flower preservation, I suppose someone could fly over it at their own risk, asking for hassle if you fly over NT buildings etc.
There was one spot I used to fly regularly at, a place called 'Haig Gutter' near to Saddleworth Moor, until one day I was approached by a National Trust ranger. He was very courteous but asked me to desist saying it was NT property. I landed and then we had a conversation about permissions. He gave me some information about who to contact to obtain permissions and he said that permissions are often granted depending on the time of year...outside ground nesting bird season. These days I tend to stay clear of NT property...there are plenty of other places to fly around here without having to resort to NT land. For me, though, NT buildings are a definite no-no. If caught, flying over NT buildings would bring a world of heartache.

Well update on the NFZ around my home town
I’ve sent a letter to the council regards the NO remotes. I mentioned that they provide all sort of services from ping pong tables to skate parks, parcore to golf plus many more for enjoyment.
You have stores selling all things remote controlled. Yet now we have nowhere to use them.
Shock, they called me and understand that I’m not alone, there looking for an area, away from built up areas. A small fee may be added!! Not to go on and on, it was a step in the right direction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop