Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New UK Drone Registration

Drone and model aircraft registration and education service will go live on 5 November 2019

Anyone responsible for a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg will need to register as an operator. The cost for this will be £9 renewable annually.

Not too expensive.

Operator ID

Anyone responsible for a drone or model aircraft must register as an operator.

When you register, you’ll get an operator ID with your certificate of registration. You must display your operator ID on your drones and model aircraft. You can use the same operator ID for all your drones and model aircraft.

You must be aged 18 or over to be an operator.

Minimum age: 18
Registration period: 1 year
Fee: Currently under consultation

What's this fee under consideration? Or is it a mistake, and all we pay is £9?

So, in the U.K., you have to be 18+ to operate a drone or model aircraft? It’s an “adults only” hobby?

That sux for the kids and teens.....

So, in the U.K., you have to be 18+ to operate a drone or model aircraft? It’s an “adults only” hobby?

That sux for the kids and teens.....
Minimum age: None, but children under 13 can only register with a parent or guardian present
Registration period: 3 years
Fee: Free

I don't see why you would want register unless you want to fly, I assume under the direction of an adult?

As a PfCO holder I still object to having to register AGAIN and having to pay for the privilege. Regarding identifiers on the aircraft: I already do (kind of) in the form of my mobile telephone number...anyone finding any of my aircraft can easily get in touch with me or pass that number to the police if the need arises.

It's all about making money. And we have to pay it. But then again look at all the untaxed , unregistered vehicles drivers etc. That was all to stop with the new systems in place, but never did, people can put a number on a drone, crash and be gone, what's stopping them taking your copter and selling it? Remove serial numbers etc. It's seems like a half baked system only going some of the way to curtail illegal flying.

It's all about making money. And we have to pay it. But then again look at all the untaxed , unregistered vehicles drivers etc. That was all to stop with the new systems in place, but never did, people can put a number on a drone, crash and be gone, what's stopping them taking your copter and selling it? Remove serial numbers etc. It's seems like a half baked system only going some of the way to curtail illegal flying.
No it won't stop illegal flying in any way shape or form. Anyone who intends to deliberately fly illegally, will not register, it's as simple as that. All the authorities will have is the registration details of all the drone and model aircraft pilots who have always flown in accordance with the law. My worry is, that I live 3 miles line of sight from an International airport but if some idiot goes and flies near the airport, who's door are the authorities going to come knocking on? Not the person flying the drone illegally, who isn't registered! No they'll come knocking on my door.... Doesn't matter if I can prove it wasn't me, it's time, stress and hassle that I could certainly do without.... Look at that guy near Gatwick last year, they threw him in chokey for 24 hours, just because some busy-body neighbour told the authorities that he owned a drone! The bloke was completely innocent.....

Everyone is a potential scapegoat. Most will stick there fingers up to it. What's stopping someone just sticking any number on it, when or if it crashed, the number is meaningless.

Just received an email from the CAA.
It turns out that PfCO holders are exempt from having to take the on-line competency test. Here is the relevant section from that email copied and pasted to here...

For holders of current CAA permissions or exemptions for drone operations (e.g. such as the permission related to commercial operations as required in ANO article 94(5)) and model flyers holding an achievement certificate issued by a UK model aircraft association with a CAA reviewed achievement scheme:

Remote pilots flying in accordance with a permission, exemption or operational authorisation (e.g. such as the permission related to commercial operations as required in ANO article 94(5)) that has been issued to a named UAS operator by the CAA will be exempt from having to undertake the online education training and test.
Similarly, where a UK model aircraft association already has an established and CAA reviewed ‘competency scheme’, members who hold an appropriate achievement certificate or award (such as the BMFA ‘A’ certificate) will also be exempt from having to undertake the online education training and test.
Any operators who are not covered under the conditions of a permission/exemption or do not hold a recognised association competency will need to complete the free online course.
To allow operators to demonstrate competence if challenged (for example by the police) the CAA will be issuing a formal exemption that can be used alongside existing permissions / achievements and any other relevant documents. This exemption will be in place until 30 June 2020, when new regulations are expected. We will be working with stakeholders in 2020 to put these into place.

So, while us PfCO holders will still need to register...even though we are already registered, at least our competency is being recognized.

all done happy to do it had to do it to fly in France but that was free but i had to have insurance and a lot more paperwork with me when flying in France
my insurance covers me here as well but think that we all should have insurance ( only £9 guess that shows how many claims come from drone accidents (0) )

I've heard on other forums about EASA harmonisation coming later, what I want to know is about remote identification of drones. I can see Dji set up for it with their big brother approach, but not Yuneec.

I've heard on other forums about EASA harmonisation coming later, what I want to know is about remote identification of drones. I can see Dji set up for it with their big brother approach, but not Yuneec.
It might be something we will have to purchase and attach to our drones, if it is not already built in. However. New regulations rarely work in retrograde. So it might be the case that only drones sold after a certain date will be required to have remote identification? That's certainly the way it works for everything else. For example, daytime running lights have been compulsory on all new cars in the UK since February 2011 but there is no requirement to retro fit them to cars older than this....

It might be something we will have to purchase and attach to our drones, if it is not already built in. However. New regulations rarely work in retrograde. So it might be the case that only drones sold after a certain date will be required to have remote identification? That's certainly the way it works for everything else. For example, daytime running lights have been compulsory on all new cars in the UK since February 2011 but there is no requirement to retro fit them to cars older than this....
Yes like seat belts in older cars. Also 500m VLOS won't apply if you have sufficient lighting on the drone even up-to 1500m.

I'm still confused about the difference between the two Id's flyer ID and Operator ID.
anyone enlightened?

I'm still confused about the difference between the two Id's flyer ID and Operator ID.
anyone enlightened?
You are responsible for the copter and you fly it, so both parts count. You would only not register as an operator if your a member of a club of some CAA recognised body from what I've read.

anyone enlightened?
flyer id is for anyone who does not own a drone but can fly somebody's registered drone
eg my daughters would need to do the online exam to get a flyers id to fly my drone (free)
i would need to be with them when flying as i am responsible as the operator of the drone ( operators ID)

flyer id is for anyone who does not own a drone but can fly somebody's registered drone
eg my daughters would need to do the online exam to get a flyers id to fly my drone (free)
i would need to be with them when flying as i am responsible as the operator of the drone ( operators ID)
So your not allowed to give someone your copter to fly, even if they have Flyer ID?

So your not allowed to give someone your copter to fly, even if they have Flyer ID?
that was the way i understood it as your responsible for your drone ( they could always pay the £9 reg fee and put their number on (more money for the caa) )

Just received an email from the CAA.
It turns out that PfCO holders are exempt from having to take the on-line competency test. Here is the relevant section from that email copied and pasted to here...

For holders of current CAA permissions or exemptions for drone operations (e.g. such as the permission related to commercial operations as required in ANO article 94(5)) and model flyers holding an achievement certificate issued by a UK model aircraft association with a CAA reviewed achievement scheme:

Remote pilots flying in accordance with a permission, exemption or operational authorisation (e.g. such as the permission related to commercial operations as required in ANO article 94(5)) that has been issued to a named UAS operator by the CAA will be exempt from having to undertake the online education training and test.
Similarly, where a UK model aircraft association already has an established and CAA reviewed ‘competency scheme’, members who hold an appropriate achievement certificate or award (such as the BMFA ‘A’ certificate) will also be exempt from having to undertake the online education training and test.
Any operators who are not covered under the conditions of a permission/exemption or do not hold a recognised association competency will need to complete the free online course.
To allow operators to demonstrate competence if challenged (for example by the police) the CAA will be issuing a formal exemption that can be used alongside existing permissions / achievements and any other relevant documents. This exemption will be in place until 30 June 2020, when new regulations are expected. We will be working with stakeholders in 2020 to put these into place.
So, while us PfCO holders will still need to register...even though we are already registered, at least our competency is being recognized.
Took the test today, although I probably won't be flying until well into next year now.... But you never know! Took about 3 minutes max (although they said allow for it to take 20 minutes)! Got 20 out of 20. Being a previous PFCO holder I would've been disappointed with myself if I'd got anything less. Didn't look at the drone code, didn't do any research first. I'm now 9 quid lighter.... Easy money CAA...

I haven't done it yet, flew today, don't know when I'll fly next, mother nature will decide, probably do the test next week, see how it goes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me