Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Video (freewell variable ND Filter)

Reaction score
hello,

have done some new video in full HD
i have tried some more takes with the FREEWELL ND2-400...but i must say...its bad!
i have used 100iso, 60f and 1/125 in the beginning and 400iso 25f 1/50 in the end...
need a good nd8, but not available at moment ....

any idea how to get better images ?

in the end short before end and the image gets sharper, there was no Filter on it.

Reactions: yuneec53
The first one looked pretty good. Higher ISO will always create more noise. Around here, it's always really bright, so I use a ND16 4-stop filter. Your 8 is just a 3-stop, but if it got the shutter speed down to twice the frame rate it's fine.

i have checked a little nearer at home...the FREEWELL variabel Filter ND2-400 for CCO3 is bad...
it makes ND, but its bad builded and it brings blurredness in the image...

What exactly do you not like about the Freewell. I watched your video. It looked good to me. It was dark in areas, no shadow detail but the filter can be adjusted lighter for filming in darker areas. I really think the issue is not adjusting the proper camera exposure and not the filter.

for me the video seems to be blurred, no ?
When using the ND,you are shooting close to the stated F-2.8 per the manufacturer. F-2.8 may not be the sweet spot on that lens @ that F-stop. Its the lenses ability or lack there of to resolve sharply @ that stop.

When using the ND,you are shooting close to the stated F-2.8 per the manufacturer. F-2.8 may not be the sweet spot on that lens @ that F-stop. Its the lenses ability or lack there of to resolve sharply @ that stop.
The camera has a fixed aperture. The only way it can adjust exposure is by changing the shuter speed or gain,

My point is it has no sweet spot. It is what it is, and adding a ND filter doesn't make the image worse unless the filter itself is bad.

However, I want to point out that going overboard with a ND will cause longer exposure or more gain to compensate and produce a properly exposed image. The longer exposure results in more motion blur, which may be perceived as softness.

Reactions: KramerMD and Maik
I also didn't say that the camera or lens suck, at least not all of them. All I said is that it is a fixed aperture lens -- adding a ND filter doesn't make the camera open the lens to compensate, and take it out of its sweet spot.

for me the video seems to be blurred, no ?

Do you have a video editor that you can brighten the video?
What res are you replaying the video in on Youtube? I used 1080P mode.
What video card and processor on your computer do you have?
Your computer may not be rendering the video fast enough when you are viewing it?
How old is your monitor? Is the monitor color corrected?

I didn't see blurry watching it. It appeared a little dark, which can be lightened in post processing, or the ND filter should adjusted to a brighter setting during filming at sunset or sun rise.
ND Filters work best in bright light to bring down the overexposure of using F2.8 lens at 1/60 FPS.

~Kramer MD
31 years working pro photographer/videographer
8 years former college photography instructor.

Your computer may not be rendering the video fast enough when you are viewing it?

I didn't see blurry watching it. It appeared a little dark, which can be lightened in post processing, or the ND filter should adjusted to a brighter setting during filming at sunset or sun rise.
ND Filters work best in bright light to bring down the overexposure of using F2.8 lens at 1/60 FPS.

~Kramer MD

That's what I'm finding and was told by others. Thanks for reaffirming. If there's an admin watching, please create a stickie for camera settings.

For my viewing, too much color saturation is less desirable. I guess it all depends on one's preferences.

Reactions: KramerMD

~Kramer MD
OK but this morning I used my ND4 filter (polar), and it seems I'm not so blurry.
just a quick sample of my video this morning (before my vibration problem !!!):

Reactions: yuneec53
OK but this morning I used my ND4 filter (polar), and it seems I'm not so blurry.
just a quick sample of my video this morning (before my vibration problem !!!):

What you are saying "blurry" is more "detail" not blurry.
Here, (over water) the sun is out / shining in its entirely of the video and you are using an ND4. The other video there is no sun out /shining in the shadow (of trees) areas, and the video created is all shadow detail and it appears the VND is set too dark, not to a light setting like the ND4. I would like to see the VND used when the sun is out at sun rise or setting and using it at a light setting similar to the ND4 not sett max darkness. I think doing this test will resolve the issue.

The Yuneec cams have issued with filming trees, it can't separate the details between the branches and gives it a painted effect. That is Camera, not the ND filters.

Hey guys, so are Polar Pro ND filters better than Freewell filters ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval