Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie Battery Help

Reaction score
Ok I have been doing lots of reading and trying to get well versed. I have a few questions still though.

I have the Typhoon H Pro with RealSense for reference.

So I just learned that you are not supposed to store these batteries fully charged. Newbie mistake as everything else I own that has a battery it is supposed to be stored charged.

Ok moving on so that being said, what voltage should I stop flying at so the batteries are in a good condition to store?

I really hate this as sometimes I get the oh hey I have an hour lets go fly...well if I need to charge 3 batteries there goes that hour and I didn't get to fly.

I just have the battery charger that came with it.

One of the batteries today after flight (95 degrees out) I noticed some puffiness to it. The thing is it feels like just the outer soft plastic as it is not hard to the touch like it just has air pockets on both sides of the soft part of the battery. You can push them back in and then feel the hard part of the battery in the middle. I don't plan to fly with this battery again and am super bummed as they are expensive. Is this swelling though ? Or just an air pocket or something.

Reactions: banjo
If you plan on flying one of these aircraft that use LiPo batteries it is a good idea to eventually invest in a aftermarket charger that will help you keep your batteries in shape. A decent charger will cost you about the same as one battery, but without it you'll likely need to buy batteries more often. The Typhoon Flight batteries need to be stored at 15.2 volts. If you only have the stock charger, you can fly the battery down to around 14.8 or 14.9 volts as shown on the ST-16 screen, land and turn off the aircraft. After sitting and cooling off the battery will rebound very close to storage level and reduce risk of damage. You can check this so after turning off at 14.8 volts, remove the battery let it sit for an hour. Reinstall and boot up the aircraft but do not start the engines - note the voltage.

Puffed batteries are showing signs of damage. These batteries cannot be stored more than a 24 - 36 hour period at full charge before it begins to have an ill effect. Also do NOT fly past the first battery warning or store the batteries after a flight where you did go to the first or second warning. Basically do not leave them fully charged or fully depleted for any length of time.

I have the Hitec X2 AC and have three batteries I have been using for over a year and a half with closing in on 300 flights - they still perform almost as good as new by following these guidelines. The ST-16 battery is a different makeup and is fine to treat like a cell phone and just keep it charged.

Reactions: resqd1
Ok thanks soThanks everyone for insight, Thomas is that available in the USA?

Check Yuneec dealers like Carolinadronz, vertigo drones, and terrestrial imaging for different chargers and adapters for Yuneec specific battery charging equipment as they specialize in products suitable for the task.

Reactions: resqd1
MY 2 cents. I see people say I have a Typhoon H Plus when in fact some of them are talking about the Typhoon H PRO. The H Plus will say PLUS on the top of the aircraft.
The batteries are different in the PRO has the 3 small pins in the middle for balance charging and the PLUS has 3 flat connections in the middle for the balance charging.
They also CHARGE/BALANCE and STORE at different voltages. I have a Hitec X2 AC Pro also - which can charge the H+ batteries to the LiHV voltage of 17.4. The H PRO LiPO charge is 15.4. SO please people do some checking before buying an after market charger so it can do what you need also you will need a adapter cable to mate to the battery properly.
Want no one to get hurt or start a fire or what ever - as they say the right tool for the right job.

Reactions: rdonson and banjo
These are some great resources! Thank you. Of course, now I'm a little scared of storage and transport! :)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a LiPO bag that fits the Yuneec Typhoon H batteries? I'm assuming that they'd fit the other Yuneec models, as well, but most that I see on Amazon advertise as being sized for DJI drones. They look like they would work, but figured I'd ask the experts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval