Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie, shopping around

Can you point me to the model/s with a 98 degree lens?
There is no specific model that has one camera or the other. It's simply what is offered at the time of sale and how long it was sitting on a shelf. One advantage to the 98 deg lens is the threaded lens barrel which makes changing the lens much easier.

98-degLens.jpg 115degLens.jpg

Reactions: Ty Pilot
That's very interesting, Steve. Without the cover on the camera it might be impossible to tell the difference.

If it ever warms up here I may consider upgrading the lens to a PixAero. I've heard and seen some good things about it. I think if I go that way I'd ship it off to CarolinaDronz to handle the chore.

Ron

That video was made about the time the H was released. The video from all of my CGO3 cameras is much sharper than what is posted here.
I wish that someone known and trusted by this community would make a new comparison video replicating those tests (or fairer ones). There are many great Yuneec videos online but I haven't found any comparison videos which counter the arguments implied in that MW Technology video.

I noticed the reviewer has made lots of videos on DJI products which gives a clue to his preference. These video comparisons are often intentionally set up to make one product look better. In the scene below notice how the Phantom was filming with the sun behind the camera and the H was filmed facing the sun. Certainly gives more clues as to the purpose of the video.
*All* of his drone comparison videos feature at least one and sometimes two DJI products. I can understand that most of them would since DJI is the market leader (with around 36% of the $500-1000 market*) while Yuneec, Parrot and others probably have less than 10% each - but I suspect Yuneec is moving up rapidly after Intel's $60m investment a couple of years ago. But not to have one single comparison video without a DJI model in it does seem to indicate where his loyalties lie.

Also, I may be wrong but I haven't seen him respond once to any comments so he seems afraid to engage with people for some reason.

*Tried to include a link to an industry article but it seems to be considered spam.

Last edited:
Since roughly October/November of 2016 all H480’s have had the 98* lens. There weren’t many 115* lenses shipped as none of the cameras were supposed to have had a 115* to begin with. That was an early manufacturing/assembly error. Those that returned their aircraft to Yuneec saw them replaced with 98* lenses. The sharpness difference is something any H owner can do by linking their computer with the camera WiFi and inputing a new sharpness command. If anyone desires the process I’ll post a text file later.

It’s very easy to publish “comparison” videos that deliberately make one brand look better than another, just as it’s very easy for someone using “auto”” settings to shoot a crap video when a better understanding of camera settings and photography would have generated a stellar video of the same subject. It’s a rare video that does not benefit from some level of post processing in any brand. If you want to be a photographer that turns out great work it isn’t going to happen overnight and be without some effort. It’s a skill that has to be learned over time, with practice.

As for the versions of the H-480’s ST-16, there are two. The original ST-16 for the standard version H-480, lacking a RealSense module, had/has a pair of dipole stick antennas. The ST-16 that was/is provided with the Typhoon H Pro, having a RealSense module, had a third mushroom antenna between the stick antennas. It is the same version of the ST-16 that is provided with the 920. Both versions of the ST-16 have the same number of transceivers inside, the difference is the Pro version, what some are calling an ST-16+, has a mushroom antenna added to the outside of the case between the dipoles. Performance differences between the two versions of Typhoon H ST-16’s is negligible. I have 3 ST-16’s, two standards and one for my 920, and I have not seen a performance difference between them. As far as I know there have been no other hardware changes to the H-480 ST-16 since it was first released. As for overall range, the stock antennas provide a range further than you can see the H if you maintain a clear path between the ST-16 and the aircraft. As operation beyond line of sight is illegal there’s no reason to add anything about longer range antennas.

Another physical difference between the standard and Pro H versions is at the 2.4GHz external antennas. The standard version has two exposed antenna wires while the Pro version has two hollow plastic tubes encasing the antenna wires. Do not mistake the tubes as being dipole antennas. Only those that converted their 2.4GHz antennas by removing the wire antennas and installing a dipole antenna kit have those. I have both the exposed wire version and one with the dipole conversion and haven’t noticed an appreciable range difference between them.

The H is a good ship and produces good video and stills for those having photographic ability. There are a great many people that will lie, misrepresent, and denigrate any other product to promote DJI. Pick the model that will suit you best and live with it. If you pick DJI hopefully their software will let you fly it. You certainly won’t have full ownership control over it. Read their entire EULA before making your decision.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ve been flying the H since it came out. It’s a great rig for those that understand how to use it.

Regarding the lens change........if you are located in the UK @RGilmore has some modified cameras available and he can also change the lens on your camera.

Thanks, Steve. CarolinaDronz is just across the border in South Carolina and they’ve done good work for me before.

Ron

I have a non RealSense H that has the 3 external antenas on the ST16 and the 2 antennas in the tubes on the H itself. It seems all H's now have these newer features. If my RealSense H ever gets shipped from Yuneec I will compare versions carefully.

Thanks, Steve. CarolinaDronz is just across the border in South Carolina and they’ve done good work for me before. Ron
Right. They are great folks. I was referring to people who live in or near the United Kingdom. Richard Gilmore lives in Ireland.

Thanks for posting that Steve. There have been a lot of UK folks looking for someplace local for lens changes.

Since roughly October/November of 2016 all H480’s have had the 98* lens. There weren’t many 115* lenses shipped as none of the cameras were supposed to have had a 115* to begin with. That was an early manufacturing/assembly error. Those that returned their aircraft to Yuneec saw them replaced with 98* lenses. The sharpness difference is something any H owner can do by linking their computer with the camera WiFi and inputing a new sharpness command. If anyone desires the process I’ll post a text file later.
Interesting post, thanks. I can now see that the H ships in the USA with the 98 lens but here in the UK it is only available with the 115 lens (and I read that the 98 lens will never be made available in Europe). This is very disappointing - if the 98 is indeed appreciably better (I have been looking for a comparison video online but can't find one…presumably because few people have ever had the chance to compare them). I'm definitely not prepared to void the warranty to get a 98 lens retro-fitted. And I guess I couldn't just order an H from a US supplier willing to ship to the uk…

Thanks for text file offer but presumably this would simply increase the sharpness digitally whereas I need the allegedly optical superiority of the 98 lens which is only factory-fitted in the US - and presumably Asia.

Since learning that the allegedly superior lens is denied to UK customers, I'm having to reflect upon my original declaration that I was irrevocably committed to buying an H as I'm beginning to feel like a second-class customer. I will try speaking to Yuneec UK tomorrow to hopefully get a definitive statement on the lens issue.

I'm also now second-guessing the wonderful H videos I have been looking at. Most don't specify what lens was used and it must be possible that the best and sharpest of them were filmed with a lens that I can't buy - at least not without spending a lot extra and voiding my warranty.

Last edited:
YuKay,

The second H I purchased violated the warranty before it left the dealer's door. I ordered a standard H, had the factory lens changed out for a PixAero 3.77, and the RC antennas changed out to dipoles. That was December 2016. It's now been a year of flying on that one (200 flights or so on the one, more on another) and not once has the warranty been a consideration. The best warranty you'll ever have is the one you never use.

Buy what you want, outfit it as you need. If a warranty is more important than what you can do with the tool there's not much to say. As for the quality difference between the 98 and 115* lenses, there's not all that much of a difference. The 4k Chroma used the exact same camera as the H-480 in a different gimbal, using the 115* lens. I just gave my old one away and it shot great video. Look up some 4k Chroma videos on YouTube and Vimeo and see for yourself.

As for the quality difference between the 98 and 115* lenses, there's not all that much of a difference.
I agree. I can't really tell the difference between my cameras. If I was concerned about warranty I would simply find a camera with the lens I want. Changing a camera on the H takes almost 67 seconds.
Since warranty was mentioned and the OP is in the UK, it's worth noting that customer service in the UK has a stellar reputation (compared to the US). I Googled CS for DJI in the UK and found an interesting site in the UK. DJI is rated "Bad" with 1.0 / 10 on Trustpilot

Yuneec U.K. has had the best CS for as long as I can remember. They are also very good at working directly with the customers. Their "official" dealers have provided the Yuneec community with a lot of good instructional videos since the H was released as well. They got them before we did.

As for changing a lens, only the camera side of the warranty is voided when the lens is changed. The rest of the system warranty remains intact.

Well, Yuneec UK certainly answered my call quickly; but they couldn't help me with the 98 lens. They said the UK H was 115, the US was 98 and that's how it was likely to stay. They couldn't offer me any logical explanation for it. So, I think I'll tread water for a while and see what announcements, if any, come out this month.

They said the UK H was 115, the US was 98
I talked to Richard Gilmore about this topic. He has a much different take on the subject:
"Its pot luck. All the talk about different countries is nonsense talk. Heard it before and I call BS. I've seen 98° & 115° come from US....UK...and Europe."

If you know how to compose an image it really doesn't make much of a difference. Some people like to bandy camera numbers about, assuming that one number is vastly better than another. If they don't know what they are doing they could use an Arri or a Red and not shoot anything better than what they did with an old Sony Handicam. This thread is starting to have all the earmarks of a DJI user, or proponent, using oblique data references as a means to further promote DJI in a Yuneec forum.

On a first read this morning I had similar thoughts. It's a similar pattern we have seen in the past.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital