Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie, shopping around

All the Yuneec H photos on both their US and EU websites today show only the shiny silver ring.

The UK website is less clear but possibly shows the matt black ring for all models.

Presumably, the silver rings are being rolled out to replace the old "flimsy" black ones.

But I spoke to a Yuneec staffer this morning and was told that there is no way to tell the different FOV lenses apart from the outside. To identify which one you've got, you would have to take the same photo with the different lenses and assume that the narrower FOV image identifies the 98˚ (or 94˚) lens. Most people won't have that option of course - although Yuneec would tell you which lens is fitted. I would like to be able to tell for myself, without taking the camera apart. Maybe there could be an online comparison test showing the result from different lenses around the world of taking the same shot of the same subject (eg. a ruler) from the same distance with the same settings?

Incidentally my man at Yuneec seemed to be expecting an announcement from CES tomorrow (9 January).

Websites showing the 'silvery' ring yes. But they did long ago already.

The flimsy lens protector is probably the same shitty stuff, silver ring or not.
My lens protector was barely transparent out of the box. Spent some time cleaning it from grease, fingerprints and other dung.

The lens itself was clean and okay. For a simple plastic lens I do think hey did a great job, good stuff for wide-angle 'recreational' use...

I do not care about this few degrees FOV (94 or 98). I do care about overall quality and I know it will be better if a Pix-Aero-like (profi built glass) lens is fitted. Therefore I am looking for a second hand CGO3+.

Mind you, I love my H and will recommend it to anyone wanting to make serious use of a drone. A bargain, unbeatable price/quality/hardware-assets/possibilities.
But I am just being practical and have my own thoughts about some aspects.

Having not removed the factory film on my camera I am curious about this discussion. There is a lens protector? Is that what the film is stuck to? Is it plastic? Is the lens itself glass?

The flimsy lens protector has the film. probably to protect the protector or more probably to impress the buyer......;)
The inside of my lens protector was greasy and worse. It comes off in a quarter-turn.

As you can see on my picture above (#80, click on pic for much larger) the lens lies a bit deeper then the flimsy protector.
On this picture the protector is removed and shown in front of the camera.

The lens was fine. No film on the lens.

The flimsy lens protector has the film. probably to protect the protector or more probably to impress the buyer......;)
The inside of my lens protector was greasy and worse. It comes off in a quarter-turn.

As you can see on my picture above (#80) the lens lies a bit deeper then the flimsy protector.
On this picture the protector is removed and shown in front of the camera.

The lens was fine. No film on the lens.

Is lens glass?

I am not plannig to scratch the thing to check, do you?

I suppose it is plastic like the rest of the actioncams are.
One of the biggest improvements to be gained by aftermarket lenses is that they are glass and thus have much better specs (and one can see that!).

Well, I am not sure about anything until proven. Maybe the flimsy protector thingie is glass as well.

Nevertheless I looked back in my files and there was some talk about plastic that I remembered, but it seems this was about the housing.

Looking into many actioncams you would not say the lenses are plastic, but they often are.

It looks like the gimbal as a spare part is still being offered with the 115˚ lens but if you look at the full products, they are all described as having the 98˚ lens (or 94˚ in Europe).

Not sure what you mean, the 2 links I posted describe the CGO3+ camera on the main sites. What do you mean "Full Products"? Can you post links please?

My opinion is to stay away from Yuneec. I gave Yuneec a try with the Typhoon H and I am sorry I did. I have built several heavy lifters in the past 5 years and wanted a RTF UAV out of the box and went with Yuneec instead of DJI. Right off the bat I had an issue with the fixed focus lens not being calibrated right, it was focused on a point about 20 ahead, not on infinity. I also had issues with the GPS module, no matter how many times I calibrated it. I sent it in and they replaced the GPS module but it was an uphill battle convincing them there was and issue with the focus of the camera. Some of the people at KAV Service center kept repeating that it cannot be out of focus because it is fixed focus. LOL Finally I talked to someone who understood the dynamics of camera engineering and they sent me another camera to do a side by side test and I was proved right, the camera they sent was much sharper. Also, the camera they sent had a lens of a different focal length. I would have thought they would ship all the Typhoons out with the same lens. Anyway, they let me keep the replacement camera and I did one flight with the Typhoon after getting it back and then it would not launch, not acquiring satellites. I instituted various fixes they suggested to no avail and then sent it back. They then told me they need to replace the main control board and that it would cost almost $400. I was a few days past the warranty by this point. I told them to keep it. I paid $1300 for the kit when they were first released but now they are selling for $1000. I am not going to sink another $400 into a unit that will probably need service again. Too bad, I really enjoyed the Yuneec CEO's keynote speech at the 2016 Interdrone conference. My RTF UAV now is a DJI Mavic Pro and so far I am happy, and immensely happy with DJI service as I always have been in using their flight control systems. BTW, I e-mail several Yuneec offices with the issues I related, I wanted to give them a chance to rectify this situation but I did not hear back from anyone. Now I will be telling my story on all the UAV forums I am a member of.

Hi, first sighting so please be kind… After weeks of research and hundreds of YouTube videos, I have decided to buy a Typhoon H (possibly with RealSense if I can stretch to it as I am a novice). The built-in display is the clincher for me as I don't use a smart phone; but I was concerned to see comparison videos with a DJI Phantom 4 from a year or more ago which showed it to have a better camera lens (imho). Given than Yuneec have brought in improvements since that time, would I still feel the same? I'm able to make video improvements in post processing but focus/sharpness isn't something I like to mess with too much since digital sharpening introduces some unwanted side effects. I found a third party lens filter (PixAero) which seemed to give improved colour balance and saturation in the camera plus modestly improved image sharpness. Are there any other options - or are the current CGO3+ cameras sufficiently improved not to need any hacking? Hopefully so as I don't like the idea of voiding my warranty by messing with the factory build.

Also, do all the new ST16 controllers come with the extra long antenna? I can see plenty of places selling kits, maybe cheaper, with a single long antenna and I'm not sure what benefits are claimed for the extra antenna. Does it improve the reliability of the video link and/or the drone range (not that we're allowed to fly out of eye contact here in the UK)?

Some controllers are labelled ST16+ and I wondered if that means they have the extra antenna? If not, what is the difference between ST16 and ST16+?

Finally, I don't want to pay more than I need to and some of the best prices in the UK are on eBay, often from vendors based in Germany. Is it safe to buy on eBay? Any bad experiences? Some of the German products come with EU plugs and an adapter, which may not be ideal. I assume the Yuneec warranty applies wherever I buy from?

Definitely finally, I read on here that Yuneec were going to make a big announcement on January 1st. Has it been seen?

Thanks for any help - and I apologise for asking so many questions in a heap.
You will have no regrets in choosing Typhoon H. I have owned one for a little over 12 months. Did my PfCO with it but have now decided to move on So am looking to sell it. The kit is pretty much all inclusive - no other extras to be bought. If you are interested in "pre-loved" kit let me know via [email protected]. I'll then send you images and relevant informtion. Regards................

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval