Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie to the Forum

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm in Australia and have been flying a Cheerson CX20 with a 2d gimbal and Mobius HD camera for the past 9 months. Have liked the Q500 models for as long as I've been flying and a guy close to me is selling a 3 month old Q500+ with all the extras for $AU1299 ($US928). Would prefer the 4K model but can't aford new drone currently. No crashes or hard landings and looks like new. Couple of questions I'd like some answers to -

1. Is that a reasonable price for a second hand Q500+ with the CGO2 camera
2. Can this model support "watch me" (I know it does "follow me")
3. Is it upwardly compatible with all the new features that are being put out by Yuneec
4. Does Yuneec have any plans to provide waypoint and POI functionality (my CX20 is open source and I regularly plan autonomous flights so that the drone flies itself and I concentrate on the operation of the camera, such as spiraling up and around lighthouses etc)
5. Is it easy to orbit an object and keep the camera focused on that object as it flies around it or do you need 3 hands :)

I have loaded a few videos taken with my CX20 onto utube ("gunpilot gary collins") and you will se that I'm really wanting to move up to a STABLE video platform.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm going out on the weekend to have a look and test fly.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum Gunpilot. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec UAV’s.

Currently in the USA a Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ 4K is $1200 and the bundle is $1300. http://store.yuneec.com/typhoon-q500-4k.html

It should do both Follow Me and Watch Me - New Firmware for Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Q500 G | Yuneec Drone Forum

There is a trade up program where you can exchange your cam for the 4K cam for a fee so 4K could be an option for you if you buy the used one. Don't forget the benefit of the warranty which typically is not transferrable so with the used one you are on your own so figure that in when you decide on the value of the used one. Upgrade to 4K | Yuneec Drone Forum

As far as I am aware it should be able to use all the latest software options. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for your response - still have not fully discounted buying the new 4K but the US/AU exchange rate is killing me at present :-(

Just wondering what you meant by "Someone will correct me if I am wrong".

Just wondering what you meant by "Someone will correct me if I am wrong".
:) That Mod and I are friends and I have to keep a good eye on him to be sure he stay's on the straight and narrow and I sometimes just let him know I am watching . I am from the PP forum but joined all of the ones that were started from there .
It was a joke directed at him ;)
That "Someone " would be me :D

Ok. Glad you like my name. In Australia the top sheep shearer in a team is called a gun shearer. I'm a retired commercial pilot ........so I sign on as Gunpilot :)

Ok. Glad you like my name. In Australia the top sheep shearer in a team is called a gun shearer. I'm a retired commercial pilot ........so I sign on as Gunpilot :)
Welcome to the forum and never mind me . I'm here ta give a smile when I can !
monker thumbup.gif

:) That Mod and I are friends and I have to keep a good eye on him to be sure he stay's on the straight and narrow and I sometimes just let him know I am watching . I am from the PP forum but joined all of the ones that were started from there .
It was a joke directed at him ;)
That "Someone " would be me :D
Wait. Who are you again?

Hi Gunpilot, I am also an ex pilot and I am also based In Australia Sydney in fact. I think $1,299.00 AUD for a Q500 with a CGO2 camera is way too high.
It does have limitations over the 4K camera I have experience and own the following, 2x Q500 4K , 1x Q500 CGO2 and 1xQ500 G.
Now to answer your points;
1) No
2) No support for "watch me" only follow me
3) No
4) Not sure.
5) Yuneec 4K will fly automatically around a object and the circle can be pre-set.

Also the handheld which comes with the CGO2 will not work with a 4K camera I found out by default
so you should be aware of this.

The transmitter does not have all the features the 4K has.

I now use the Yuneec Q500 White CGO2 purely to train newcomers to flying UAV's.

I hope this helps with your decision regarding which Yuneec Q550.

Regards

Hi Gunpilot, I am also an ex pilot and I am also based In Australia Sydney in fact. I think $1,299.00 AUD for a Q500 with a CGO2 camera is way too high.
It does have limitations over the 4K camera I have experience and own the following, 2x Q500 4K , 1x Q500 CGO2 and 1xQ500 G.
Now to answer your points;
1) No
2) No support for "watch me" only follow me
3) No
4) Not sure.
5) Yuneec 4K will fly automatically around a object and the circle can be pre-set.

Also the handheld which comes with the CGO2 will not work with a 4K camera I found out by default
so you should be aware of this.

The transmitter does not have all the features the 4K has.

I now use the Yuneec Q500 White CGO2 purely to train newcomers to flying UAV's.

I hope this helps with your decision regarding which Yuneec Q550.

Regards
Thanks for that. Ended up buying the Q500+ wirh carry case. $1200 which is still about $800 off new price with the case from Model Flight in SA. Ground Station is a ST10+ and happy enough with 1080p/60fps camera quality. Have upgraded to latest firmware.and it flies well. BTW, today have arranged to do "manufacturers type training" in Jan 2016 as thats all that is required to be completed to attain a UAV Controllers Certificate if you have a PPL or greater (I've got a CPL). Keep in touch - my utube channel is "gunpilot gary collins"

Cheers and CAVOK :)

Hi Gunpilot
Is it only the 4k that can be set to fly a circle. I'm new to this q500 + but find it a dream to fly
Thanks

Hi Gunpilot
Is it only the 4k that can be set to fly a circle. I'm new to this q500 + but find it a dream to fly
Thanks
If you set it to WATCH ME mode it will orbit around you - all Q500s do this with current version of firmware

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval