Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Not Yuneec related but interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing. Setting aside that it remains quite depressing to read yet another one of these, it is quite refreshing to see an article that doesn't spend all the copy dissing the pilot and drone safety in general, and that actually there is less sensationalism here than in most articles reporting such an event. I'd even go so far as to say it was quite light on the pilot-error aspect of this, considering the levels of people and danger involved, and the 'near-miss of small child' component.

What is confusing about this one is that the pilot knew enough to attach prop guards and relocate 3 times before launch, in search of stable GPS, but not enough to know that stable GPS is an impossibility in the middle of downtown city block and that he should have been in Atti mode from the get-go. Not entirely sure why the prop guards didn't save him though, and I can't see what makes it go from merely 'drifting' to dropping out of the sky...

But I can't believe he had a 107, so presumably the FAA will go after him and the people that hired him...

Last edited:
No, I suspect they meant 'narrowly missed'. Camera footage shows nobody is actually hit by it.

The only area the FAA might give him some grief is in flying over people, unless all those present had been part of the operation and briefed on what their actions should have been in such an event. If they were not part of the operation his 107 will likely be revoked, and DJI adds another to their “irresponsible” score board. They get that either way[emoji6]

There was a lesson there in why a quad is much inferior to a hex in a commercial operation. Another was apparent regarding the effectiveness of prop guards. They aren’t because they are not rigid. If you can push the guard ring into the prop you might as well leave the guard on the ground.

The inspection concept was a great plan but the execution fell a little short.

Last edited:
The only area the FAA might give him some grief is in flying over people, unless all those present had been part of the operation and briefed on what their actions should have been in such an event. If they were not part of the operation his 107 will likely be revoked, and DJI adds another to their “irresponsible” score board. They get that either way[emoji6]

There was a lesson there in why a quad is much inferior to a hex in a commercial operation. Another was apparent regarding the effectiveness of prop guards. They aren’t because they are not rigid. If you can push the guard ring into the prop you might as well leave the guard on the ground.

The inspection concept was a great plan but the execution fell a little short.
Another point is that the pilot showed a degree of inexperience too...on at least two counts. He should have known that flying in such an area would have made satellite acquisition iffy at best and so should have been prepared for satellite loss. Second, once he lost his satellites he should have had the skill to fly his aircraft without the aid of those satellites (it ain't hard)...or had the wisdom not to have accepted the job in the first place.

Pilot error of the first degree.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Have just seen this article, in which someone flies what looks like some variety of DJI Mavic out of St James Park in London to within feet of our current Prime Minister !
Security action was typically 'British' - they didn't shoot him down, or tackle him to the ground - they went over and had a quiet word about the wisdom (or not) of flying from there. Not even arrested, which was surprising...

Last edited:
I'm a bit stunned that he didn't get arrested.

There are very few places in London where it is legal to fly a drone. Even a commercial operator needs to have a special permission...which are very hard to come by.

That video is funny AF! We heard about this incident after it aired, but never saw it. In San Francisco Bay Area we have a small circle of commercial pilot. Outside of that circle are the weekend warriors with a part 107ish

And I’ve flown inspection in downtown San Francisco (hate it, due to safety) and that whole area should of been closed off and PD notified of sUAS flight.

In this case: No one will get arrested, no one will report to this to the FAA (but I’m hoping they do) this is not a manufacturers fault, DJI, and also the law reads “Yes, no, maybe so” No foul, no case.

But it is however a case of “homie” didn’t know any better [emoji23] and got himself on the news. Now the walk of shame begins..

Pretty much agree with all of that.

You also pretty well laid out what’s wrong with the 107 qualification. There’s no enforcement of the regulations and lacking enforcement is cause for many to ignore the requirement, and safe operating rules.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
puputus