Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

obstacle avoidance question

Reaction score
I have been seeing a few people posting they had lost obstacle avoidance after they did the update in angle mode, any one having this problem also? Just trying to get a feel on how wide spread this problem is or maybe it might be human error on the update.

"obstacle avoidance showing ready in angle mode and not working?"

I have been seeing a few people posting they had lost obstacle avoidance after they did the update in angle mode, any one having this problem also? Just trying to get a feel on how wide spread this problem is or maybe it might be human error on the update.

Don't get mine till wensday,but I have read that to and I'm hoping it's just an oversight while a rush to get into the air.Im reading that former phantom pilots are running into problems associated with being not used to Yuneecs difference,which is exactly what would happen if I switched to the other guy.

Reactions: Nic
Don't get mine till wensday,but I have read that to and I'm hoping it's just an oversight while a rush to get into the air.Im reading that former phantom pilots are running into problems associated with being not used to Yuneecs difference,which is exactly what would happen if I switched to the other guy.

There is a lot of truth to that statement coming from a DJI drone.

You would think that 'SMART' mode would be just that, smart, so first time flyers select it.
Yuneec should call it what everyone else calls it, 'HEADLESS' mode since it has
a 360 camera you can loose direction your flying, then switch to headless mode
to regain your headings.

Good luck on your 1st flight, seems the biggest problem is landing that sucker. lol

Seems I'm having that issue, called Yuneec support, they said the upgrade would not cause that issue.
However, sounds like others are having the problem with sonar not working. I'll have to play with it more.

There is a lot of truth to that statement coming from a DJI drone.

You would think that 'SMART' mode would be just that, smart, so first time flyers select it.
Yuneec should call it what everyone else calls it, 'HEADLESS' mode since it has
a 360 camera you can loose direction your flying, then switch to headless mode
to regain your headings.

Good luck on your 1st flight, seems the biggest problem is landing that sucker. lol
Everyone? In Arducopter it is Simple and Super Simple, and if the pilot doesn't know the difference he could be in trouble.

Why do people having no intent on buying a Yuneec product insist on polluting the threads with such drivel.

Everyone? In Arducopter it is Simple and Super Simple, and if the pilot doesn't know the difference he could be in trouble.

Why do people having no intent on buying a Yuneec product insist on polluting the threads with such drivel.

Wish you the best with your mental problem.

Reactions: KBflyer
I tried the obstacle avoidance today in angle mode and it worked well. I was brave I bought it towards me but I stopped and would not come forward anymore. I have completed the firmware upgrade.

hpkena,

I am having the obstacle issue as well, it says ready in angle more but doesn't move back when I approach it. I worked great before I did the firmware upgrade.

Seems I'm having that issue, called Yuneec support, they said the upgrade would not cause that issue.
However, sounds like others are having the problem with sonar not working. I'll have to play with it more.

I think the doc says 9 feet up, and angle mode before it can be turned on. It worked kind of weird testing against the side of my white house. I wonder if white colors gives the sonar sensor problems.

I tried the obstacle avoidance again today. It does work but it works differently than it did before the firmware update. With the update, H will stop flying when it senses an object and right stick forward doesn't move the craft. Before the update, it would actually move back if an object got closer. For example if you fly toward yourself it will stop, but if you walk towards it, it won't back up. It used to back up when something got closer to it. Check the video below, mine acted exactly like that before the update, now it will just stop when it senses an obstacle, but doesn't back up anymore. Maybe they changed the behavior so it won't back up into something but, I wish they explained how it is supposed to behave somewhere.

Let me know if yours still behave like the video after the update, if so I may need to give them a call.

Mine is different after the update as well. It does still back up but you need to get closer than before. I have been meaning to call yuneec about it as well but haven't yet. Maybe I will remember to do so tomorrow.

IMO, the ultrasonic obstacle avoidance function is not stable, since the detection distance is very limited, only 1.5m.
I will probably receive my H tomorrow, but I just need a new toy. :D
I can tell in my experience that the H couldn't be fly fast with sonar.
Did anybody try the speed? Any news about the RealSense?

Tried the obstacle avoidance under the Angel mode. Pushed the drone only about 2 feet from the wall and the avoidance system did not work. So the only choice was pull the drone back.

I tried the obstacle avoidance again today. It does work but it works differently than it did before the firmware update. With the update, H will stop flying when it senses an object and right stick forward doesn't move the craft. Before the update, it would actually move back if an object got closer. For example if you fly toward yourself it will stop, but if you walk towards it, it won't back up. It used to back up when something got closer to it. Check the video below, mine acted exactly like that before the update, now it will just stop when it senses an obstacle, but doesn't back up anymore. Maybe they changed the behavior so it won't back up into something but, I wish they explained how it is supposed to behave somewhere.

Let me know if yours still behave like the video after the update, if so I may need to give them a call.
I was able to verify your findings today. Yes it does work, but differently than before the firmware update. The typhoon H has to be moving forward before it starts to work.

I have the same problem, when you engage the obstacle avoidance on and the display showed green but it doesn't work when you are in front of the sonar. I found out that your landing gear have to be up in order for this to work. I saw youtube video people in europe have the landing gear down and the obstacle avoidance was working for them.

Tried the obstacle avoidance under the Angel mode. Pushed the drone only about 2 feet from the wall and the avoidance system did not work. So the only choice was pull the drone back.

..don't forget legs up...

Reactions: Brent

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval