Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

One of my batteries went Tango Uniform

This is not an isolated issue. Between the wi-fi issues, dead batteries, and other quirks, Yuneec should've recalled the Breeze. Yuneec's unwillingness to support batteries and accessories is short sighted.

I bought the Breeze because it is easy to fly and has aggressive geofencing (I had a stroke last year and my vision and reflexes aren't what they used to be). The Breeze should be a way to hook consumers and give them a great experience so that when they upgrade to a more powerful drone, they stay with Yuneec. Instead it is a ratings disaster and has influenced a lot of consumers to buy other brands.

Drones are a growing market and manufacturers like Yuneec should be playing the long-term game rather than stiffing their customers to save a few bucks in warranty claims.

Reactions: FLYXLSA
The "Test Battery" arrived today. It's a bit bigger than I thought and I'll need to modify the old Yuneec Battery Case a bit. Time to break out the old Soldering Iron!
IMG_5202.JPG

I've been dealing with Snowpocolypse this week in the N/E USA and haven't had a chance to work on this project. Maybe this weekend. I "think" I know where my Soldering Iron is? Last time I used it was to cut some Rock Climbing Tubular Webbing and make some slings.

Are there any batteries with a bigger Ah capacity that will directly fit into the existing breeze battery case without modifying the case? Are there better 1150 Ah batteries the same size that would fit into the breeze case?

Are there any batteries with a bigger Ah capacity that will directly fit into the existing breeze battery case without modifying the case? Are there better 1150 Ah batteries the same size that would fit into the breeze case?

That 1300mAh Battery slides snuggly into the Breeze with NO CASE. That's the largest 3S LiPo I've found that might work? I still need to solder and connect the old Breeze plug to an XT60 plug so I can power up the thing and test it out. I think I posted the specs in this thread?

I am interested in your results... :)

I'll post here when I get a chance and test it. Plus 150mAh is not a lot over the stock battery (< 15%) more power and the weight increase is pretty significant. 82g or so vs. 110g+ so this whole exercise may be futile?

Another factor is the Stock Battery is likely engineered to position the battery to balance the Breeze at or near it's Center of Gravity - another important factor in regular planes so I am assuming it applies to sUAS as well - uneven engine wear if it's out of balance?

I should have gone to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University back when I was considering it in 1979! :rolleyes:

Knowledge for the sake of knowledge (no matter how worthless ;-) is never futile!! Onward!

... engineered to position the battery to balance the Breeze at or near it's Center of Gravity...

That's correct. You'll want to fiddle around with it to balance the aircraft. The flight controller will compensate, but the closer you can get it the better.

TESTING PHASE 1

Finally got around to this project again this evening.
Breeze fires up just fine.
App Showing 97% Battery Power.
Plenty of room to center/slide the battery in/out to adjust COG.
I'm thinking I may not even need to tape or velcro it.
Nice and snug in there.

TESTING PHASE 2

Flight Testing - Stay tuned.

The stock Battery weighed in at 101g in case.
The 3S Lipo and wiring harness at 128g.
So.... that's about +30% weight for just under +15% power.

Weight vs. Battery power is a tricky balance.
My initial thought is Yuneec used an 1150mAh Lipo for a reason?

Note: Long Screwdriver worked fine to push plug on. No Hemostats needed

IMG_6901.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: bestaudioguy
Thanks for the update!

Not quite as smooth and purty as the stock one, is it? Hopefully the extra capacity will make up for the increase in weight.

I'd strongly consider some kind of retainer, it's amazing how things get to wiggling. The connector will keep it attached to the airframe, but if it shifts it'll mess with the CG and the motors will have to work harder to keep it level.

Thanks for the update!

Not quite as smooth and purty as the stock one, is it? Hopefully the extra capacity will make up for the increase in weight.

I'd strongly consider some kind of retainer, it's amazing how things get to wiggling. The connector will keep it attached to the airframe, but if it shifts it'll mess with the CG and the motors will have to work harder to keep it level.

You're probably correct. I'll use some Gorilla or Duct Tape it until I come up with something else? Also need to make sure those wires don't decide to shift and catch a prop. Thanks for the input prathbun.

Last edited:
The weak link in this whole system seems to be the Yuneec Connector, which in the proprietary battery case, is held in place by the battery caddy itself. Slim to no chance of the connector coming loose with the OEM system. To do this RIGHT, would be to eliminate that connector and solder the XT60 connector directly to the Breeze.

Without doing that, it seems there's a chance (slim though it may be) that connector might vibrate loose in mid-flight. Mid-flight power loss = Crashed Breeze.

Given the risk, I think I'll fly with my two good OEM Batteries for now and work on something more permanent when the time comes. I'd hate to lose this little sUAS. It's fun to fly (with the controller IMHO) and more portable than my 3DR Solo's which makes it ideal for hiking, climbing, kayaking and other outdoor activities.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it's good to hear your experiment is viable. I've been out of the fold due to my health, but was wondering how things went. I am now very severely vision impaired and I'm not sure I can even fly the Breeze now. I've got my batteries charging now--I honestly thought they would be dead, but the first one is charging and the newer one will be next. I'm gonna get it a try tomorrow and then decide if I want to sell it or not.

I think I'll first give it a go in the old Yuneec Battery Case first. The connection point is pretty far inside the Breeze due to the design of the whole thing. If it works ok, I may do the XT60 connectors and buy more LiPo's?

As far as weight goes, I could add a 1 ounce (28g) weight to it and fly it with my good battery and see how she handles.

"It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five-ounce bird could not carry a one-pound coconut!
In order to maintain air-speed velocity...
" oh wait, I was digressing. :)

Darn Physics always messes with this stuff. Increased weight will require increased power to carry said weight, which may cancel out any gain from the 150mAh?

I guess we'll find out!?

That darn power to weight ratio!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval