Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Parachutes

Hi,

Safety parachute can use manually and automatically deploy, on the same time.

In France, when you fly on urban areas, as professional drone operator only, with a drone more than 2 kg, the French regulation imposes you to fly with a safety parachute approved with separate system from the drone radiocommand to trigger. You could use automatic both, if you like. Each safety parachute system need a test in real conditions, to be approved by the french transport authorities.

For automatic, you could use mayday card for example:
Mayday Boards – UAV Flight Safety

Features:
– Standalone System with No Pilot Interaction Required
– Fully Programmable
– Ultra Bright LED System for Daylight Use
– Light Weight, Compact and Ready for Flight
– Ready to Pair with Any MARS Parachute Recovery System
– Auto Deployment Functionality
– No Flight Controller Connections Required
– Inexpensive Safety that Cannot be Ignored
– Expands Your Altitude Margins
– Increases the Envelope of Capability for Any UAV
maydya3-600x600.jpg

For manual trigger, you could use FTS system, made by EvoSystems (Italy):

The system is composed of the Master module (remote control for the pilot) and the Slave module (installed on the UAV). The radio communication between the units takes place on the 869 MHz at 500 mW. A license-free band, in compliance with the European regulations CEPT 70-03.
The radio communication is also secured by 128-bit encryption that prevent any rogue use of the system by third parties.
An important feature of the system is the Keep-Alive, which allows the Master module to poll every second to check the link between the Master and Slave. The keep-alive signal is displayed by the white LED.
When the Master doesn't receive a signal from the Slave, it emits an audible alarm and flashes a white LED. As soon as the link is restored, the alarm goes off and the connection is resumed.

SAC_AUR_trasparente.jpg

• Designed to cut the UAV power and trigger a parachute
  • 868 MHz, 500 mW
  • 5km tested range
  • Keep-alive, alarm on link loss
  • Low battery alarm
  • Receiver can be powered by its own battery
  • Aircraft like safety switch with cover
  • European radio regulations compliant (CEPT 70-03)
  • Good build quality
Sistema Completo MiniFTS (Mini Flight Termination System + SAC) - Evosystems | Sistemi Tecnologici Integrati per SAPR

For manual trigger, you could use Opale Parachutes (France) system too:
drone-remote-for-parachute-system-868mhz-25km-155mi-range.jpg

Remote for parachute system - 868MHz - 2.5km (1.55mi) range
Opale Parachutes - Remote for parachute system - 868MHz - 2.5km range

Last edited:
I'm thinking the only real use these will have will be by a power failure where the drone suddenly falls out of the sky. Any deployment while the props are spinning will be as usefull as an ejection seat in a helicopter.
CHOPPER would have a new connotation. Accidental deployment would be a bummer too. You would need two buttons to be pushed simultaneously for safety. I saw an accident in which an ejection seat was deployed inside a hanger. Fortunately the seat was not occupied.

With some design work an ejection seat could work in a real helicopter. The rotor would have to be shed via explosive bolts then eject. Explosive bolts are used in rockets all the time for stage separation.

Last edited:
So, it is possible. Of course I'd say.
Looks like the cost of a system is about the same as another H without controller, charger etc.

Now hope it works 110%! (which it won't, cause it is just stuff running on smoke).

Cheers!

Hi,

There are 3 principal and different systems for the deployment of safety parachute: big spring, pyrotechnic, CO2 cartridge..., generaly with safety system to secure like pins as grenade...The system of deployment is activated just before the flight. You take off the pin, just before the take-off.
The most advanced systems have redundancy and an electronic circuit to control the deployment system.
When you travel by plane, with your drone, the system of deployment for the safety parachute is important to be allowed to embark as passagers or crew.
Pyrotechnic and CO2 cartridge systems need the approval of the aircraft or airlines companies:
IAAT Dangerous Goods Regulations TABLE 2.3.A Provisions for Dangerous Goods Carried by Passengers or Crew (Subsection 2.3)
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-provisions-table-23A-en.pdf

Last edited:
Hi,

There are 3 principal and different systems for the deployment of safety parachute: big spring, pyrotechnic, CO2 cartridge..., generaly with safety system to secure like pins as grenade...
When you travel by plane, with your drone, the system of deployment for the safety parachute is important to be allowed to embark as passagers or crew.
Pyrotechnic and CO2 cartridge systems need the approval of the aircraft or airlines companies:
IAAT Dangerous Goods Regulations TABLE 2.3.A Provisions for Dangerous Goods Carried by Passengers or Crew (Subsection 2.3)
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-provisions-table-23A-en.pdf

Lol... travelling with your highly updated supersafe drone almost makes you a terrorrist by default when travelling.

:eek:

I see more advantages every minute.
BUT maybe best fly the drone as it is advised in the manual. No issue to be expected.

Cheers!

CHOPPER would have a new connotation. Accidental deployment would be a bummer too. You would need two buttons to be pushed simultaneously for safety. I saw an accident in which an ejection seat was deployed inside a hanger. Fortunately the seat was not occupied.

With some design work an ejection seat could work in a real helicopter. The rotor would have to be shed via explosive bolts then eject. Explosive bolts are used in rockets all the time for stage separation.

Eject out the bottom of a helicopter, ala B-52.

I have more a vision of all the parachute leads merrily wraping themselves around the spinning blades. Maybe it will make a big ball of fluff that will cushin the fall.
On the up side it will not be going far. I guess wreckage is better than nothing. At least you will have some spare parts.

I agree.
If you are 200~300 feet in the air and experience a system failure and start to fall, I calculate you've got 4 to 7 seconds before impact. Reaction time + motor stop time + parachute deployment time = ? Sounds a little close to me.

Also consider the added weight reduces battery time.

I agree.
If you are 200~300 feet in the air and experience a system failure and start to fall, I calculate you've got 4 to 7 seconds before impact. Reaction time + motor stop time + parachute deployment time = ? Sounds a little close to me.

Also consider the added weight reduces battery time.
I have a vision of an aircraft plummeting to earth then a parachute springs out from the wreckage...the stuff of comedy sketches.

Parachutes are useless gadget if you fly by the rules. :)
Reaction time of the pilot is way to long, add the deployment time (which is always advertised much shorter then it will turn out in reality) and notice functional rescue is way to long off, considering the rate of descent from a non working (copter)craft.

Besides you have no influence at all concerning landing area, river, hiway or alligator-farm.

I would advise that if you do not understand how to properly use and deploy it might not be for you .

Works great for me . saved many times .

But it has it place and time of use . not every mission is one that can be used .
You must use your common sense .

As a professional hanggliding pilot since 1980 and instructor since 1991 (and dealer for all kinds of accessoires like parachutes) I think I know quite exactly what parachutes are, thank you.

:)

Based on the overall design of the H, I'd rather see some sort of airbag deployment pillow to protect the primary body components at the bottom of the aircraft. Arms, props and landing gear are cheap enough to sacrifice in a crash. Also if the failure occurs over foliage, a falling airbag protected craft would likely come to a better end than a parachute through the same scenario.

Of course that would take some design work to not cause damage to the camera itself, as a result of said deployment. Probably would end up costing more than replacing the Typhoon.

Last edited:
its only posted for the enjoyment of those that wish to try it out .
if you dont believe in it . then dont use it .... very simple .

maybe you just want some way of attaching something to the H
this will also give you that ability .

after all this is a hobby .

I have yet to see a multirotor that fails in flight and falls in the same orientation it was flying in. They all tumble. Where a parachute is deployed from relative to the orientation of the aircraft matters. Test scenarios where a parachute is deployed from a stable, upright multirotor are not accurate renditions of device performance. Toss in that most, if not all multirotor parachute systems are sized too small for the aircraft. You might protect a person on the ground from severe impact but the aircraft is most always damaged by the impact. The military combines airbags with parachutes for UAV recovery when such methods are used.

I can understand a desire to employ a safety device to protect people on the ground when they are present but not so much for the aircraft, especially those of low dollar value. The economics just don't balance out if trying to save a $1,000.00 aircraft with a parachute. Using one to limit damages to a $10,000.00 - $100,000.00 system makes more sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gautamadani