Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Please help me with esc id assignment

Hi xxcysxx and h-elsner,

Hmm, this could be a bit more difficult one. Here are something that came to my mind:

The Q500 Typhoon GUI, available here: Downloads - Typhoon Q500 4K, but that might need a complete Q500 drone. Worth trying still, I think, if it could behave a different way when an ESC is attached, instead of a complete drone (well, likely not..). I used to do some things with Aero few years back, but I do not recall any ESC ID assignment command. Could there be a command-line tool inside the Aero's Linux system for assigning the ID?

View attachment 20720

Here is the TAP_ESC driver from PX4 that drives the Yuneec's UART ESCs, however I did not find anything of interest regarding setting the ID in there: PX4/Firmware

Try that Q500 GUI first, let's think our next steps after that. ;)

Br,

Toni

Hi Toni, Thank you very much for your response to my inquiries. You have no idea how much the insights you have provided feels like gold to me right now.
I think I have inspected and comb through all of the aero utilities software as best as I could.
Things that I have tried was inspecting their source git repository that builds up their aero-system software, looking for any filenames or indications in codes that leads to either esc programming or uart for that matter. but nothing seems relevant for my use case.
Then I inspect their debian package repository for any packages or filenames that seems suspicious, but nothing comes up either.

I will investigate again the typhoon q500 gui software more carefully and update to you with the results.

@Haydn ,

Any chance you may be able to find the instructions that would have been included with the ESC programmer listed in this link Intel® Aero Ready to Fly Drone Spare Parts.

Support has ended with Intel, and the parts for the Aero RTF provided by Yuneec were to include them, but Yuneec now says they have no involvement. Just thought you may have some contacts that may be able to provide the instructions.

Appreciate any help you might be able to give.

Hi DoomMeister,
Thank you for this valuable inquiries on my behalf.

Try that Q500 GUI first, let's think our next steps after that.
Nighter the GUI from Blade 350QX or Q500 nor the one for Typhoon H worked, @xxcysxx said. The USB to serial package for the Aero, made by Yuneec, the ESCs too, comes with a cable that looks like a direct connection to the UART bus of the ESCs.

I also think that there is a Python script or commandline tool, but nothing found in Aero wiki nor in GitHub source of Intel Aero.

br HE

Hi DoomMeister,
Thank you for this valuable inquiries on my behalf.
Hope he can dig up some info for you.

In the mean time, do you know the motor numbering scheme for the Aero? Look straight down like you would be sitting in the pilots seat if it were an airplane, and the front left motor would be 1, left rear 2, right rear 3, and right front 4. Do 1 and 3 spin CW or CCW?

I ask as someone with a Q500 may be able to plug your ESC in at the appropriate position and program it. Just a thought if nothing else can be dug up.

Hi Toni,
So I tried again with the typhoon q500 gui app and the typhoon h gui app and neither of them was able to detect the drone hardware.
I connected the dongle to the intel compute board hsuart port, compute board tx -> dongle rx, compute board rx -> dongle tx, ground -> ground on both side.
the compute board is being powered from a 5v external power adapter that's plugged into a wall outlet, and the esc receives its power from the power distribution module connected via the battery.
intel_aero_compute_board_j1.png
wire_hookups_01.jpg
I also tried to connect the dongle directly to the power distribution module and as again the two apps was unable to detect the hardware.
wire_hookups_02.jpg
the typhoon h gui app was able to detect the dongle connected to the computer, but the app does not detect the drone hardware.
typhoon_h_gui_connection.png

While testing the two connection methods; dongle to compute board and dongle to power distribution module. I was able to receive data coming through com7 at 115200 while its connected to the compute board, but nothing while its connected to the power distribution module.
putty_com7_115200.png

Hope he can dig up some info for you.

In the mean time, do you know the motor numbering scheme for the Aero? Look straight down like you would be sitting in the pilots seat if it were an airplane, and the front left motor would be 1, left rear 2, right rear 3, and right front 4. Do 1 and 3 spin CW or CCW?

I ask as someone with a Q500 may be able to plug your ESC in at the appropriate position and program it. Just a thought if nothing else can be dug up.

This is an edit to respond I made earlier, it seems I misunderstood your question.
on my drone, intel aero drone that has the new esc that doesn't fly correctly, the front left and rear right spins clockwise. the esc that was replaced was the rear left.

Last edited:
This is an edit to respond I made earlier, it seems I misunderstood your question.
on my drone, intel aero drone that has the new esc that doesn't fly correctly, the front left and rear right spins clockwise. the esc that was replaced was the rear left.
That is the same as the Q500, and since the USB dongle is the same as with the Q500 there is likely some connection there. Unfortunately we can not locate any instructions that used to ship with the ESC programmer. It is a real shame that Intel dropped support on this unit.

Cause and effect type thing. Intel gave Yuneec $60mil, Yuneec failed to provide services in kind. Same reason the 920 got turned into the Plus. Vendors extended credit, Yuneec failed to repay. KAV is another example of that.

[emoji443]All the burnin’ bridges...[emoji443]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval