Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

possible battery issue when using e30zx camera.

Here’s what Vertigo said about the problem:

“In my experience, this seems to be limited to a certain batch of H520E main control boards. The solution thus far has been to replace the main control board, and that has fixed all future problems.”
Just realized I posted on the wrong thread but I guess the two are similar enough. Let's hope we were just the lucky guinea pigs on the 1st gen board.

I have had the same problems with my H520e so badly that the battery got stuck inside the drone do to the plastic melting. I have finally got in touch with the supplier and now receiving warranty repairs that were way over due because lack of contact on their part. Hopefully everything will work out at the end.

yuneec a just signaled that this is bigger issue. My h520e is back in the shop for round 2. so even with the board replaced you can get hit with this. also watch those battery connectors for any larger size gaps in the heads. if the connectors are spaced apart even if the are not melting yet they will over time.

yuneec a just signaled that this is bigger issue. My h520e is back in the shop for round 2. so even with the board replaced you can get hit with this. also watch those battery connectors for any larger size gaps in the heads. if the connectors are spaced apart even if the are not melting yet they will over time.
Mine is in the mail after warranty repair for this issue. Will keep you posted.

The traces and the voltage drop points to a high resistance on the battery contact plugs. This is very dangerous. Overheating of the contacts will increase the resistance and this will increase temperature - and so on until bad things happen.

To illustrate the problem: Lets assume the resitance of the contacts will increase to 20mOhm due to oxidation. The drone needs 16A current hovering and more when goes fast. Lets take 20A:
Voltage on contacs is R*I 0.02*20A=0,4V --> Power on contacts: 0.4V*20A=8W.
8Watt makes a lot of heat directly on the defect contact!

Sometimes a good contact cleaner will help, sometimes the contact spring is done. In this case only replacement of the contacts will help.

But what has it to do with the camera?

br HE
Thank you for the info ref the contact cleaner, my question is, does this application applies to all batteries, using the contact cleaner?

Thank you for the info ref the contact cleaner, my question is, does this application applies to all batteries, using the contact cleaner?
We inspect our batteries all the time and as long as they are in use and not being stored for long periods of time the friction from using them keeps them clean. Under normal conditions this should not be needed. Never spray the cleaner directly on the battery without shielding the opposite side you are cleaning because there is a possibility of causing a short and don't put anything in the slot that is bigger than the pin it connects to. Basically, just leave it alone.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Chris,

The battery connector for the H3 and H520e are a totally different connector than the Dean’s that are used in the prior H series. The issue to watch for with the Dean’s connectors are the leaf spring becoming weak or broken.

Reactions: chascoadmin
Chris,

The battery connector for the H3 and H520e are a totally different connector than the Dean’s that are used in the prior H series. The issue to watch for with the Dean’s connectors are the leaf spring becoming weak or broken.
This was really unfortunate. It is obvious that Yuneec has always had issues with coming up with quality batteries and the lack of some sort of smart feature or any indicator on the battery of charge status doesn't help. We can just hope that the next version has a connector that can actually handle the load and the amount the amount that we fly.

This was really unfortunate. It is obvious that Yuneec has always had issues with coming up with quality batteries and the lack of some sort of smart feature or any indicator on the battery of charge status doesn't help. We can just hope that the next version has a connector that can actually handle the load and the amount the amount that we fly.
I like that they don’t add expense by using “smart” batteries. The so called smart features just take battery maintenance out of the hands of the user and can render a battery unusable for any purpose including ground (non-flight) purposes. Proper battery maintenance is not difficult and can be accomplished much better than what is done with smart batteries.

I like that they don’t add expense by using “smart” batteries. The so called smart features just take battery maintenance out of the hands of the user and can render a battery unusable for any purpose including ground (non-flight) purposes. Proper battery maintenance is not difficult and can be accomplished much better than what is done with smart batteries.
Good point but I would still like to have a charge status indicator. It doesn't make sense to have to continually plug them into a charge to verify. Is there a way to see the number of cycles? I looked all over the Admin menu and cannot find anything.

Good point but I would still like to have a charge status indicator. It doesn't make sense to have to continually plug them into a charge to verify. Is there a way to see the number of cycles? I looked all over the Admin menu and cannot find anything.
No, the only way to know the number of cycles is to keep records using the serial number on the battery. Good point about that part with smart batteries, they do keep track of charge cycles.

Have you had any issues with the terminal melting on your H520e aircraft?

No, the only way to know the number of cycles is to keep records using the serial number on the battery. Good point about that part with smart batteries, they do keep track of charge cycles.

Have you had any issues with the terminal melting on your H520e aircraft?
Oh yeah. I should have a post up their somewhere. Yuneec/Vertigo has had to replace 5 of ours. They replaced the board and connector and they don't get near as hot when checked with a temp gun but it's still suspect. We rotate our batteries consistently and have 6 each so we can just divide the number of flight as reported by DroneDeploy and get a good estimate. I have about 12 on each on the RTK and my other pilot has about 35 on the v1 H520. Whereas our P4Pv2's have about 50 on 6 each. As long as we can keep progress on the RTK I will be giving him mine and getting a new one so hopefully we can be demoted to tasks other than mapping.

just got mine fixed from a second meltdown at vertigo. I had them install the first gen h520 power connector to take hold on the 2nd gen h520e. I have 572 flights on the first gen h520 no power issues and no issues at all flight wise. It is still at the shop and not been shipped back to me yet.

Reactions: WTFDproject
just got mine fixed from a second meltdown at vertigo. I had them install the first gen h520 power connector to take hold on the 2nd gen h520e. I have 572 flights on the first gen h520 no power issues and no issues at all flight wise. It is still at the shop and not been shipped back to me yet.
So you are planning on running 1st gen batteries? That sounds interesting to me!

Reactions: WTFDproject
Oh yes I am planning on running 1st gen h520 batteries. battery wise never had any problem with the first gen h520. had other issues one of them was a motor that went out in flight five motor mode saved the craft. the other was a esc power cable went out again five motor mode saved the craft. The mainboard was replaced other than those 2 issues the air frame itself is rock solid to this day. the payloads for the first gen h520 are lacking badly e90 having issues in flight. and e50 the camera is good no dropouts but lacking in video settings if it had the h480 cgo3+ settings it would be usable but it does not. used c23 went bad and not usable. I like the h520e payloads much better so far have none of the issues I have with the first gen h520.

drone is back and booted up and arm motors with a h480 battery without camera attached. now I got a few new test to do with this drone saterday or sunday which ever is dry weather. new test is calibrations with out payload attached. I am really looking forward to this even more.

drone is back and booted up and arm motors with a h480 battery without camera attached. now I got a few new test to do with this drone saterday or sunday which ever is dry weather. new test is calibrations with out payload attached. I am really looking forward to this even more.
H520E with H480 battery?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval