Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

power failure during flight

I agree.
I'd already decided not to get a H520 for a couple of months after it's release to the market anticipating teething issues. Seems that my decision was a good one.

I was one of the first to receive the H480 back at the start of June last year (ordered it on a pre-order). I guess I was lucky with the one I received since I've not had a major issue with it so far that couldn't be sorted out with a firmware update. However, I'm reluctant to tempt fate twice. I will have one, but I'll wait 'til spring next year. Hopefully by then Yuneec will have got all the info they need from their 'guinea pigs' and implemented the fixes.

I think hanging on is what is all about. I'm now thinking of putting a Tarot 10x Camera/Gimbal on my home built Pixhawk 3DR Y6 for inspections and will use the H for more critical picture quality jobs.
Perhaps even get a used 920+?

I think hanging on is what is all about. I'm now thinking of putting a Tarot 10x Camera/Gimbal on my home built Pixhawk 3DR Y6 for inspections and will use the H for more critical picture quality jobs.
Perhaps even get a used 920+?

We seem to be having similar thoughts, although I'm looking at a new 920 instead of used. Three things with that one. I'm awaiting info about CGO-4 EXIF data, will discard the quick connects on the props and bolt the props on, and believe installing EC-3 connectors on appropriately sized after market batteries should work to reduce battery costs. I should have the EXIF data info today. Terrestrial Imaging has been most helpful.

We seem to be having similar thoughts, although I'm looking at a new 920 instead of used. Three things with that one. I'm awaiting info about CGO-4 EXIF data, will discard the quick connects on the props and bolt the props on, and believe installing EC-3 connectors on appropriately sized after market batteries should work to reduce battery costs. I should have the EXIF data info today. Terrestrial Imaging has been most helpful.

I'm only looking used because there are a few good ones around. I still wonder how many are out there as unless thousands have been sold and everyone is happy forum traffic is just above zero.

They haven't really sold all that many of them. I'm anticipating Yuneec will discontinue the 920 and focus all their efforts on the 520 but that's not a 920 deal killer as long as the firmware functions well and the parts supply holds up. If you don't do or intend to do mapping work the 920 is a good value for it's capabilities. Unfortunately team mode went away when they changed from the ST-24 to the ST-16. But this thread is supposed to be about the 520 so let's get back to the topic and take any more about the 920 to that forum or private conversations before we get into trouble;)

First let me set the scene.
Had the 520 for over a week now.
Started with the usual calibrations all good except data link loss
Flown about 3 hours on it since.

Updated the firmware last night on the 520, Camera and gimbal.
Performed calibrations to gimbal and accelerometer at the same time.

Set up survey mission on laptop and transferred to ST.

Set out to fly this morning and first completed compass calibration no problems it calibrated successful. Powered down to put on props and moved to take off point.

Powered on and tried to send mission to 520 which timed out and said the aircraft didn't request all files required. Tried a couple of times to no success. Power cycled both ST and 520, no joy.

Started flight in angle mode for just filming, all good for 4min 8 sec then complete loss of signal looked at screen for 2 seconds as it said signal lost aircraft will return home. Looked back to 520 to see it drop out of the air into the sea.

Left ST powered on.

Tried to recover craft after getting wetsuit on but could not find it.

Checked ST datapilot logs to find no record of flight for today but has video recorded in the memory files.

There also is no records of the update or the calibrations.

Make sure you check the box "save telemetry log even if vehicle was not armed" as I didn't

I will state that the battery was fully inserted and locked. It went through a compass calibration with the same battery as for the flight with no problems. I have more than 500 hour flight time and build UAV's as part of my job.

Hope no one else has had this problem.

Will be it touch with UK tech support in the morning.

We have had similar fly aways - seemingly at random and without warning. Not just our Yuneec machines, but other manufacturer's products as well. Upon further investigation, we discovered that in each case, the KP solar index was above 4. KP index shows the level of EM interference caused by solar flare activity at any given moment. There are plenty of apps out there for monitoring this. We have partners over at NASA who explained that GPS signals are prone to interference by solar flares, and at times, when the flares are bad, the GPS system may actually be shut-down to protect the satellites momentarily. Maybe not the issue in your case, but worth noting.

Reactions: IRIS
Hi,

Sorry for you and to read that.
The problem is that quite often users turn into betatesters in spite of themselves, with malfunctions, buggs and sometimes crash during the first months when a new product comes on the market.
The same can be seen in telephony or computing market, but with consequences that are often less severe.

Unfortunately the competition beetween DJI and Yuneec are engaged in to win part of the market share does not go in the direction of many tests proven over the long periods to guarantee a product on.

That's why, as a professional drones operator, I prefer to wait until 2018. My Typhoon H480 has proved its worth and that's what I look for in my work. It is perfectible in term of sensor (size of sensor that equips some smartphones today ! ) But when it is used without exceeding its limits, it offers correct results.

It will allow me to finish the year before the arrival of the winter storms here. I do not want to continuously deal with problems due to new products that come out on the market in a hurry to face the competition and not necessarily when their development and tests are completed.

Read again the forum, the release of Typhoon H480, the first months, also caused some problems, resolved afterwards.

Looked back to 520 to see it drop out of the air into the sea.
Tried to recover craft after getting wetsuit on but could not find it.
That's awful! My heart stopped when I read your post!
Surely Yuneec will have to own this problem.

Reactions: IRIS
I salute everyone on this thread........I have read very carefully all comments, good and bad, and I thought I would give my 2 cents of info and thoughts....you will see that am somewhere between , neither negative, nor positive....so here it goes....Got my H520 three weeks ago, Yuneec EU, shipped to me in Cyprus. Had a couple of flights, even managed to film a motocross race. All good, great performance, excellent video even on auto white balance. Then on the third day, I went out, early morning to make some tests of it, and basically get some more minutes getting used to the H520 and the software/screen look on the New ST16s...and that's where I had my issues........while testing the OBS, it lost a motor....took me a few seconds to realize what was going on, while it could not stay stable.......few seconds later, maybe 15-20, I managed to land it with no damages....Point one, the 5 motor fail safe actually works, saved me a few hundred dollars worth of damages, had it been a quad...obviously, next day, I contact Yuneec, opened RMA, sent it back. They received it last Monday, fixed it, and UPS tracking says I will be receiving it tomorrow. Bottom line, yes I agree with some that say that we are the true testers for Yuneec, and am quite sure they will fix all these glitches quite soon. What I may be worried about is if Yuneec will take full responsibility for all these glitches resulting in failures and damages. My experience with them says they do. So i guess, we have to be a little bit patient, cause honestly, with my very little time with this bird, am totally ecstatic with the way it performs. It can only get better , that's what I feel and believe....Good landings all

Reactions: arruntus
patr on the h920 terrestrial imaging got team mode to work. they make a custom full function gimbal that you can buy from them that uses cgo3+ and cgoet was well a dual cam gimbal system for h920.

Thanks Terrence, I started talking to Chris at TI a couple days ago about the 920 and that was discussed. Since I don't have or seek customers that desire orthos that fixture combined with a Peau 8mm lens will match an E-50 and allows up to 35 minutes of flight time. The CGO-4 is only 4mpxl under the E-90 but lacks geo referenced EXIF data.

Edit, I bought the 920 instead of the 520.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haydn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio