Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Pre-Purchase Question

Reaction score
I live in Colorado. My use for drone photography will be high altitude. The ground elevation for launch will be 14,268 feet above sea level. Will the Typhoon H be suitable or do I need to go to something such as the Mavic Air? I prefer the Typhoon because I'm not inclined to purchase a tablet or cell phone to view what the camera sees.

Your question is can the H perform at that altitude? The answer should be yes. It’s one of the most stable camera platforms a consumer can purchase and handles high winds better then most. Having control over panning while holding your nose in the wind during hover is an advantage that nothing else in that price point offers. There are people here who use the H for some pretty extreme video work in all kinds of terrain, elevation, and conditions. If you take your time to learn it’s idiosyncratic set up, (think DJI as a PC and Yuneec is like Mac) you will enjoy it.

Thanks! The reason I asked is that the pro-model H920 Plus with the zoom camera has an absolute ceiling of 13123 ft. I know it weighs much more than the H so I would assume that with the same engine the H would have a higher service ceiling, but no maximum is given in the specs that I can find. The Mavic Phantom 4 has a service ceiling of over 19,000 feet - it would be great to know what the H's service ceiling is too....

Thanks! The reason I asked is that the pro-model H920 Plus with the zoom camera has an absolute ceiling of 13123 ft. I know it weighs much more than the H so I would assume that with the same engine the H would have a higher service ceiling, but no maximum is given in the specs that I can find. The Mavic Phantom 4 has a service ceiling of over 19,000 feet - it would be great to know what the H's service ceiling is too....

Your best bet would be to contact Yuneec sales and let them know what your requirements are and that you are requesting important prepurchase information.

‭+1 (844) 898-6332‬ M-F 8AM-5PM Pacific Time.

Thanks! Great Idea - consider this request closed and I'll contact sales....

Others around the world may already know the answer to your question and will respond, but Yuneec doesn’t post full specs on their website which is a shame.

Your question is can the H perform at that altitude? The answer should be yes. It’s one of the most stable camera platforms a consumer can purchase and handles high winds better then most. Having control over panning while holding your nose in the wind during hover is an advantage that nothing else in that price point offers. There are people here who use the H for some pretty extreme video work in all kinds of terrain, elevation, and conditions. If you take your time to learn it’s idiosyncratic set up, (think DJI as a PC and Yuneec is like Mac) you will enjoy it.

Hey Craig,

That's an insult to the PC!

:p

Jeff

The Typhoon H and the 920 do not share the same motors. Not even close to the same. The uses an 800kV or so motor, the 920 uses a 340kV motor. The upper limit of a 920 is 1000m above the launch point.

The greatest factor with high altitude flight is reduced flight time. Battery drain is faster at high density altitudes.

Edit;

After being called out on my use of “high density altitude” I ‘spose I need to define that better for those unfamiliar with pilot speak. Propeller, airfoils and normally aspirated engines all decrease in performance at high altitudes, along with altitude elevated due to low oxygen (O2) density, with the lower density induced by temperature and humidity. As altitude increases, O2 density decreases, and temperature and humidity levels above “standard” further reduce O2 density. The base line “standard” is, when at sea level, being at 29.92Hg, 59*F, with zero humidity, with increases in altitude decreasing in pressure and temperature at a standard pressure/temperature lapse rate.

Last edited:
Hey Craig,

That's an insult to the PC!

:p

Jeff

Lol..
I meant it as a Mac dig because of all their goofy proprietary stuff like Yuneec... I own a recording studio and the music industry worked together twice on standards to make a fair and level field for all. One was the MIDI protocol and that’s still going strong. The other was PCM digital and CD audio standards. That died because the film industry pushed 5.1 and never set a standard delivery volume level and created competing formats. Pro Tools created a Mac bias in audio for awhile but now it doesn’t matter since everyone’s on pentium chips. Mac needs to accept PC key commands and then there is no difference really anymore.

We all operate in the proper radio and video bandwidth now so why can’t I turn my ST into a phantom controller? How cool would it be if DJI and Yuneec actually agreed on some standards and there was cross compatibility. Instead DJI will release the H killer with panning gimbal and proclaim they perfected it. They are the Behinger of drone companies (Behringer reverse engineers tried and true audio products in a China and make crap components that sound pretty awful but look like the higher priced product they stole from while thumbing their nose at our companies and patents.) while Yuneec struggles to get noticed with a far superior product.

Reactions: PatR
CraigCam

Something interesting you mentioned in your post was the inability to use a controller to “cross pollinate” to control other brands. Without mentioning the name of the entity, a bunch of work was expended experimenting with multirotor FC codes and flight controllers where it was found that a single controller could be “modified” to control almost any multirotor. The controller used for the initial baseline experiments was the one provided with 3DR’s Solo. The work led to the design of a rather interesting ground station.

As for gimbals, Yuneec still has the best consumer level design for offsetting the destabilizing effects of rapid yaw and bank.

CraigCam

Something interesting you mentioned in your post was the inability to use a controller to “cross pollinate” to control other brands. Without mentioning the name of the entity, a bunch of work was expended experimenting with multirotor FC codes and flight controllers where it was found that a single controller could be “modified” to control almost any multirotor. The controller used for the initial baseline experiments was the one provided with 3DR’s Solo. The work led to the design of a rather interesting ground station.

As for gimbals, Yuneec still has the best consumer level design for offsetting the destabilizing effects of rapid yaw and bank.

Agreed on the Gimbal. You are a wealth of knowledge sir. I had a buddy at my hobby shop with similar inside knowledge. He’s been building and consulting to DOD and local PD. He’s the one who steered me to the TH and I’ve got no regrets. I believe DJI big announcement is a panning gimbal on Phantom5 or something of that size. The ST and the built in tablet allow for some custom camera control and I’d be curious if the competition tries to follow. The Anafi gimbal is very interesting as well. The EVO could be a winner for me for a portable camera but so far, props are in shots and that’s a no go for me on any platform.

Agreed on the Gimbal. You are a wealth of knowledge sir. I had a buddy at my hobby shop with similar inside knowledge. He’s been building and consulting to DOD and local PD. He’s the one who steered me to the TH and I’ve got no regrets. I believe DJI big announcement is a panning gimbal on Phantom5 or something of that size. The ST and the built in tablet allow for some custom camera control and I’d be curious if the competition tries to follow. The Anafi gimbal is very interesting as well. The EVO could be a winner for me for a portable camera but so far, props are in shots and that’s a no go for me on any platform.

If you're interested in the Autel EVO check out the 2 most recent YouTube videos from Richard Gilmore. It looks very promising. They still say that they will some time in the future they will introduce a 1" sensor to the EVO.

I think they’ve been saying that for 2 years... Christmas is coming in December 2020 but at least that is a fixed future date[emoji6]

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval