Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Prop/ Land Questions

Yerricki, I thought the same thing, when I first saw hand catching mentioned, and saw CaptainDrone's
video on YouTube. "Catch it... catch a flying lawnmower? Are you out of your f'n mind?"

I have not had an issue with the kill switch not working within the 3 second timeframe, but I have had
intermittent drift issues... so I have been concentrating the last couple of days practicing the catch
landing, and I must say, that Craig was correct in that it's easy.

So much so that I may catch land the H the vast majority of the time from now on. No issue with some
drift, as I can walk up to it to catch and if the H is 6 feet off the ground when I grab it, no possibility
of a tip over. And if any nosy bystander questions me, well it's in the perfect position for that
decapitation that has been discussed... :D

Lmao I will never try to hand catch that thing. When it did crash it ripping through that tree before it fell out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmao I will never try to hand catch that thing. When it did crash it ripping through that tree before it fell out of it

Hand catching is actually one of the best ways to land. You use turtle mode, bring the H down above your head, walk up with confidence, stand below and outside of drone props, reach up with right hand, grip skid at leg connection, don't grab, just hold, press red button and be ready to increase grip when motors stop.

You can't be in smart mode obviously here nor on the wizard....

Advantages of hand catching are you can land in areas where there is no room. I can find a flat enough spot to take off when out in the mountains but I can't land on that spot later as maybe we've hiked around while following a shot. You don't backwash rocks and dirt up into your gimbal mount, camera, lens, or H electronics. Anyone who has landed on soft dirt or sand knows how bad this can be.

Finally, it helps if people are around as it allows you to step in and grab it and get out if need be and protects you from stupid kids and dogs with death wishes.

The only way it's going to hit you is that you touch the sticks once you've set your hover height grab location while you are grabbing it. If you've got your left hand wrapped around the cut off button corner, the straps hold the right side fine to free up right arm for catching. The motors sometimes rev up and pull on your hand when you first grab it but you've already started pressing the cut off button upon grab so it's 3 secs to stop.

Obviously it's not SOP but it's been part of the DJI world forever for a reason and that's why my buddy isn't afraid of launching from boats etc... and the landing area is any place the pilot has sold footing.

This is my preferred method but not an absolute. Like any other part of this, I change my piloting based on flying conditions and location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Il try the hand catch. I'm little shocked how it tried to chop the tree down. But don't want it to flip over either

I have been catching on landings a lot lately due to dusty ground. Taking off while generating backwash debris is less likely to throw dirt into critical components as once you hit the elevator you can get our of your own cloud quickly.
Open return to my spot, I make sure I'm in turtle and bring the TH to about eye level and grab a landing leg while holding the motor stop button. Once I've got a good grip but not actually adding any movement I hold the button and let the motors spin off and all goes limp. You will experience the motors rev up if there is a gust of wind or it thinks it needs to level because you pull on it and 3 secs seems like along time when that happens but just remain calm and hold on to both the H and keep your finger on the motor stop button.
RTH for many of us is a last resort button because we flew out of site, lost orientation, suffered video loss, or something else that removed our ability to pilot back to ourselves. It's good to learn how to fly and land confidently and keep the RTH in your back pocket for emergencies.

I think that is what is happening on my landing... a gust of wind and it thinks it needs to be level and the start/stop switch doesn't function. I landed my bird on level pavement, hit the red start/stop and it did not stop. Began to tip (and all the time I'm holding the button, mind you), it fell over, struck the ground, broke prop, started spinning on the ground (I'm STILL holding the switch!). Finally I had to put my foot on one of the landing skids and the props finally cut off. All but one of my repairs have been because of the start/stop failing to cut the props in the 3 seconds. I've probably had this problem four times. I would say 3 out of 5 landings this problem occurs. Terrible.

I think that is what is happening on my landing... a gust of wind and it thinks it needs to be level and the start/stop switch doesn't function. I landed my bird on level pavement, hit the red start/stop and it did not stop. Began to tip (and all the time I'm holding the button, mind you), it fell over, struck the ground, broke prop, started spinning on the ground (I'm STILL holding the switch!). Finally I had to put my foot on one of the landing skids and the props finally cut off. All but one of my repairs have been because of the start/stop failing to cut the props in the 3 seconds. I've probably had this problem four times. I would say 3 out of 5 landings this problem occurs. Terrible.

That's not right and you should call Yuneec.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
premadsoftwaresolutions