Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Prop/ Land Questions

Reaction score
How does everyone store their props? I drone 1 getting ready to fly. Thank god I noticed before I started to fly

And what your preferred method of landing. I pitch down about a foot from the ground and hit the red button. I try to catch before it does that hoping thing. It would be nice if the sux button could be a dedicated land button. Unless I'm missing something. And no I don't wanna catch it in the air lol

And a short clip after the update. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I permanently "borrowed" one of the kids pencil cases to store my props to keep them together and stop them scattering all over the backpack case.
With landing, I catch if the landing area is not suitable for a normal landing, or bring the hover from about a 30cm slowly down to the ground and have no problems with setting it down. I make sure that I keep the stick in the full down position when it is on the ground while I reach for the red button to kill the motors.

Reactions: yerrickl
I permanently "borrowed" one of the kids pencil cases to store my props to keep them together and stop them scattering all over the backpack case.
With landing, I catch if the landing area is not suitable for a normal landing, or bring the hover from about a 30cm slowly down to the ground and have no problems with setting it down. I make sure that I keep the stick in the full down position when it is on the ground while I reach for the red button to kill the motors.

Ok lately I been hit and miss. And il look i to the pencil cases.

I accidentally found that if I just landed and hit the flight mode switch to RTH, the motors stop instantly. I was landing my T-H a few days ago and just as it was about to touch down, I bumped that switch and all motors stopped! My T-H was only about an inch off the ground, so no hard landing. Otherwise, we have to wait about three seconds before holding the red button down will kill the motors. Also note, that if the Flight Mode switch is in the RTH position, you can't start the motors, either! You will see rapid flashing red light below the battery.

How does everyone store their props? I drone 1 getting ready to fly. Thank god I noticed before I started to fly

And what your preferred method of landing. I pitch down about a foot from the ground and hit the red button. I try to catch before it does that hoping thing. It would be nice if the sux button could be a dedicated land button. Unless I'm missing something. And no I don't wanna catch it in the air lol

And a short clip after the update. So far so good.

I just saw this today. Another great video by Captain Drone. It's all about storing stuff in the top of the foam box your T-H came in. Watch this:

I accidentally found that if I just landed and hit the flight mode switch to RTH, the motors stop instantly. I was landing my T-H a few days ago and just as it was about to touch down, I bumped that switch and all motors stopped! My T-H was only about an inch off the ground, so no hard landing. Otherwise, we have to wait about three seconds before holding the red button down will kill the motors. Also note, that if the Flight Mode switch is in the RTH position, you can't start the motors, either! You will see rapid flashing red light below the battery.

you know I wondered that! thanks!

The red button on the ST-16 is the motor arming switch, and the 3 second depress period is a safety feature that should not be bypassed. Using the motor arm switch to cut power for landing is an excellent way to eventually damage destroy your H when landing in windy conditions where a sudden control response may be necessary to offset influence of a wind gust. Using the RTH switch to stop the motors is also not the smartest thing to do. Pick up the H after using the RTH switch while failing to disarm the motors and you might quickly find yourself holding a multirotor that suddenly came to life with 6 spinning props. I have experienced this with other flight control systems.

The H is very easy to land and practice makes perfect. Always take off and land with the front of the H pointing into the wind. That places both landing gear on the ground more or less equally during a transitional period of operation and minimizes the amount of control offsets needed to prevent a roll over during a crosswind landing. When landing you can descend until the H is only a few inches from the ground and hover for a moment to give you time to gain your composure. Then pull the power back and hold it back after the H lands. Push the motor arm/disarm button after landing, and not before.

Do not ever circumvent safety features provided with your aircraft. If you are having trouble landing it is very likely the problem is lack of experience, not a defect with the H. Put in some time to learn to do it right. What you learn now will carry forward with other aircraft you obtain as time goes on. You can develop bad habits or good ones. Bad habits make for a lot of expensive repairs later.

Oh, forgot, I never remove my props and just store the H with folded arms, props installed. I don't have a reason to stuff it back in the box every time and it transports fine standing in the gear legs.

Last edited:
...... I never remove my props and just store the H with folded arms, props installed. I don't have a reason to stuff it back in the box every time and it transports fine standing in the gear legs.

Interesting....so the H fits in the box, with folded arms AND 6 props attached?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Nope. Personally, there's no reason for me to put it back in the box. It rides fine in the pick up on the gear, being small it sits well on the floor or bench on the gear, and propeller mount wear is non existent if not constantly removing and installing them. If one just has to use the box, put them in the bag they came in and lay the bag over one of the gear legs in the box.

Nope. Personally, there's no reason for me to put it back in the box. It rides fine in the pick up on the gear, being small it sits well on the floor or bench on the gear, and propeller mount wear is non existent if not constantly removing and installing them. If one just has to use the box, put them in the bag they came in and lay the bag over one of the gear legs in the box.

Ah, got it. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The red button on the ST-16 is the motor arming switch, and the 3 second depress period is a safety feature that should not be bypassed. Using the motor arm switch to cut power for landing is an excellent way to eventually damage destroy your H when landing in windy conditions where a sudden control response may be necessary to offset influence of a wind gust. Using the RTH switch to stop the motors is also not the smartest thing to do. Pick up the H after using the RTH switch while failing to disarm the motors and you might quickly find yourself holding a multirotor that suddenly came to life with 6 spinning props. I have experienced this with other flight control systems.

The H is very easy to land and practice makes perfect. Always take off and land with the front of the H pointing into the wind. That places both landing gear on the ground more or less equally during a transitional period of operation and minimizes the amount of control offsets needed to prevent a roll over during a crosswind landing. When landing you can descend until the H is only a few inches from the ground and hover for a moment to give you time to gain your composure. Then pull the power back and hold it back after the H lands. Push the motor arm/disarm button after landing, and not before.

Do not ever circumvent safety features provided with your aircraft. If you are having trouble landing it is very likely the problem is lack of experience, not a defect with the H. Put in some time to learn to do it right. What you learn now will carry forward with other aircraft you obtain as time goes on. You can develop bad habits or good ones. Bad habits make for a lot of expensive repairs later.

Oh, forgot, I never remove my props and just store the H with folded arms, props installed. I don't have a reason to stuff it back in the box every time and it transports fine standing in the gear legs.

now this was some good info thanks! constantly learning more and more about this bird

Glad you took it the way it was meant. I know I often come off gruff but my intent is usually to educate and help set people up right to set the stage for long term success.

I have been catching on landings a lot lately due to dusty ground. Taking off while generating backwash debris is less likely to throw dirt into critical components as once you hit the elevator you can get our of your own cloud quickly.
Open return to my spot, I make sure I'm in turtle and bring the TH to about eye level and grab a landing leg while holding the motor stop button. Once I've got a good grip but not actually adding any movement I hold the button and let the motors spin off and all goes limp. You will experience the motors rev up if there is a gust of wind or it thinks it needs to level because you pull on it and 3 secs seems like along time when that happens but just remain calm and hold on to both the H and keep your finger on the motor stop button.
RTH for many of us is a last resort button because we flew out of site, lost orientation, suffered video loss, or something else that removed our ability to pilot back to ourselves. It's good to learn how to fly and land confidently and keep the RTH in your back pocket for emergencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have been catching on landings a lot lately due to dusty ground. Taking off while generating backwash debris is less likely to throw dirt into critical components as once you hit the elevator you can get our of your own cloud quickly.
Open return to my spot, I make sure I'm in turtle and bring the TH to about eye level and grab a landing leg while holding the motor stop button. Once I've got a good grip but not actually adding any movement I hold the button and let the motors spin off and all goes limp. You will experience the motors rev up if there is a gust of wind or it thinks it needs to level because you pull on it and 3 secs seems like along time when that happens but just remain calm and hold on to both the H and keep your finger on the motor stop button.
RTH for many of us is a last resort button because we flew out of site, lost orientation, suffered video loss, or something else that removed our ability to pilot back to ourselves. It's good to learn how to fly and land confidently and keep the RTH in your back pocket for emergencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This weekend il just use up the battery on RTH and landing

I bought my H and upgraded to the latest firmware before flying. The H is on V3.01 and controller on v03.01.b27. I have had several times where the bird is safely on the ground and the start/stop switch does NOT cut the props, even after 3 seconds. The bird then tips over and breaks a prop or two on the ground strike. This is unacceptable to me. I would have to say that a 3 second delay in the start/stop switch is tolerable... if it worked AT ALL TIMES. But there is something squirelly in this firmware that introduces an exception to expected start/stop behavior - - NOT GOOD, Yuneec.

I was encouraged to learn of the way to use RTH to kill the props but in this release of firmware it does not work. Now, if I start the props (but don't take off) then flip to RTH the props do stop. But not in landing... the normal RTH behavior invokes and the thing shoots back up. In my opinion, I'm the pilot of this thing. If I want to kill the props, I W A N T T O K I L L T H E P R O P S.

After sending in my bird for repair it was an issue with the controller and gps module. Give yuneec a call. I swear when I fly now it like night and day

Yerricki, I thought the same thing, when I first saw hand catching mentioned, and saw CaptainDrone's
video on YouTube. "Catch it... catch a flying lawnmower? Are you out of your f'n mind?"

I have not had an issue with the kill switch not working within the 3 second timeframe, but I have had
intermittent drift issues... so I have been concentrating the last couple of days practicing the catch
landing, and I must say, that Craig was correct in that it's easy.

So much so that I may catch land the H the vast majority of the time from now on. No issue with some
drift, as I can walk up to it to catch and if the H is 6 feet off the ground when I grab it, no possibility
of a tip over. And if any nosy bystander questions me, well it's in the perfect position for that
decapitation that has been discussed... :D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval