Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4K camera control problem "Hello Pilot"

AH-64 D

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Bought my Q500 4K in 2013. It has ST10+ and build st10+v01b30c, hardware P1.4, Kernel 3.0.8 and Android 4.03. Because it did what I wanted when I bought it, I purposely avoided updating its firmware. I set its "leash" at 1200 feet and ceiling at 400 feet. It is mostly used to locate lost model aircraft in the woods and meadows surrounding my flying field. This summer, it has begun to fail to take still photos and frequently announces "Hello Pilot" when it is 400 feet overhead. I have not had a problem with flight controls, but the lack of reliable camera control makes me want to keep it close rather than fly out over the woods for its intended purpose. I have checked external camera cable connector and reseated it. The only obvious factor I can mention is that it has been bleeping hot weather. Temperatures have been in the mid-90s Fahrenheit at the field. I notice that the motors are warm to the touch as is the top of the body on landing. It has never crashed. I have not calibrated anything on it in years.

Generally, the first answer would be to ask about the SD card. Most times failure to record pics and videos are related to SD card problems. It's the "Hello Pilot" part that seems strange.
1.) Does the on-screen video lock up when the "Hello Pilot" show up?
2.) Does it actually say "Hello" Pilot? Or does it say "Welcome" Pilot.
3.) Does it record video with no problems?
4.) Do the failed pictures seem to occur in bright sunlight, and work normally for indoors scenes or on cloudy days?

The SD cards are those you recommend. It is likely "Welcome Pilot" and not "Hello Pilot." I was recounting from memory. It will record video or photos initially and I then lose control later in the flights...I will be unable to start/stop video or take additional photographs without power down and restrart. I always fly visual line of sight, so it is not a situation of control loss caused by passing behind trees. Lighting is typical outdoors - bright sunshine, perhaps cloudy on some days. I avoid pointing camera at sun.

I have very much the same issue. Sometimes if I return closer and wait it out I get back yo normal. I find that if I was recording video when I lost visual contact I continue to record normss as lily although what I see in real time is a frozen screen display of what it last sent me live. I would love to resolve this. I subsequently hit a pole and had to re mount the camera with no obvious damage occurring. Since then it seems. Little more dependable. Go figure.

The 2019 NOV thread mentioning the camera cooling fan did not give me a clue as to where the fan is located or whether I can hear it turning. Is that mentioned elsewhere? I did take the time to clean the lens filter and lens while checking on the camera WiFi antenna, but being only that far inside did not reveal the location of its fan...Just switched things on in a quiet room. It is easy to hear the camera cooling fan. I am guessing that my camera problem is heat buildup on a hot day. Guess I will have to wait for winter to find out. Thank you for your reply which focused my thoughts and thank you for putting WTFD together.

Last edited:
The WTFD pdf file mentioned in the 2019 NOV thread clearly shows where the camera cooling fan is located. In view of the difficulty in getting parts and the lack of Yuneec support, the thought of having to go in there does not encourage me. I guess I will give a listen and try to determine if I can hear the fan turning. BTW, the WTFD document is really well done.

NOTE: I edited the message prior to this one rather than this one as intended. Disregard this message other than to note its kudos directed at the WTFD document.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTFDproject
A cold front came thru last night, so I was able to fly while the air temperature was 66 F (19C). The camera recorded still photos in video and photo mode and also recorded video with no loss of photos or camera control issues. As reported at the start of this thread, I had trouble with lost photos when the air temperature was above 95 F (35C). It looks as if the problem is a heat issue. I noticed some "welcome pilot" messages, but did not lose any pictures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz