Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4k new

Reaction score
Merry Christmas guys I've joined the forum as I was given a new q500 4K by a good friend got the new firmware on it not had the chance to fly yet bloody UK weather I've had a dji fc40 with no fly aways etc I was hoping the q500 is better than the dji for that after reading and looking at videos iam scared to fly it now have you got some tips for me to keep it in one peace

Reactions: greatbear1968
Merry Christmas guys I've joined the forum as I was given a new q500 4K by a good friend got the new firmware on it not had the chance to fly yet bloody UK weather I've had a dji fc40 with no fly aways etc I was hoping the q500 is better than the dji for that after reading and looking at videos iam scared to fly it now have you got some tips for me to keep it in one peace
Relax.........the Q500 is probably the most stable quadcopter ever built and the most reliable. Any make or model can have faults. So do full size aircraft. But they are rare. Since this is a new bird you need to allow the GPS to fully update. When you take it outside for the first flight, allow it to sit after it boots up with the motors off, for about 12.5 minutes. After that it's ready to go. Stand back about 30' from the Q and take off with full throttle until you get to about 15'. Then hover and test the controls to make sure it responds as it should. Make sure it does not drift. It should maintain position within about 3'.
When you land it will tend to bounce close to the ground due to the prop wash (ground effect). When you get about 8" above the ground, press and hold the red button and it will make a nice landing.

Thanks for the information mate I've had a few drones in the past DJI fc40 f450 and the team white sheep build so I know how to fly just won't to look after it as it brand new the thing a liked about the dji if your drones to far out to tell what way it's facing I could put it into home lock and back will all ways be back as the q500 got it feature

Thanks for the information mate I've had a few drones in the past DJI fc40 f450 and the team white sheep build so I know how to fly just won't to look after it as it brand new the thing a liked about the dji if your drones to far out to tell what way it's facing I could put it into home lock and back will all ways be back as the q500 got it feature
Be sure to read the manual and also look at some of the Youtube tutorials. Jeff Sibelius

The Home switch will bring the Q back to the controller as long as the GPS is working. There is also a green arrow on the ST10 screen. If you move the right stick in the direction the arrow is pointing, the Q will fly back to the controller. The controller is always "home" so if you move so does the home point.

Thank for the link Will look at is video will the green arrow still be on the screen if I lose GPS I don't think I will fly out of site anyway as I never did with my DJI Phantom too scared lol

I am exactly the same mate I went to get mine today but currys pc world in hull said they had 1 in but after standing there itching to get it & get it home to fly it turned out to be the display model so they have ordered me it but I won't get it while after new year needless to say I am absolutely gutted so I want it like yesterday so I can start learning because I have never had a proper drone before & I am well into photography as I have got my own photography group on Facebook I CAN'T WAIT SO ANY FEEDBACK OR TIPS WOULD BE GREAT THANK YOU

I am new to multirotor as well. I've been flying rc fixed wings (gliders, power planes) for over 30 yrs. Recently a musician friend of mine won the Q500 4k as a door prize. He wants to use it to video tape his concerts but neither his videographer nor he knows how to fly rc. I told them that I've flown rc as well as a toy grade drone. Then he told me that he wanted me to video him in concert in a couple of weeks!
Trying to fly the Q500, was disasterous! My first two flights, it went up and drifted straight backwards into a object. The results were two broken props. I ordered replacements from China which gave me time to read the manual. Calibration to the controller was a novel concept to me!!
Since calibrating it, the unit flies completely smooth!! My friend sends an email stating he had not gotten permission to fly a drone at his concert so he tells me I will not be needed to fly and video him. Since this is a yearly concert, he told me that we will try again next year. In the mean time (one year) he tells me to hang onto the drone, fly it and get used to it!

I am new to multirotor as well. I've been flying rc fixed wings (gliders, power planes) for over 30 yrs. Recently a musician friend of mine won the Q500 4k as a door prize. He wants to use it to video tape his concerts but neither his videographer nor he knows how to fly rc. I told them that I've flown rc as well as a toy grade drone. Then he told me that he wanted me to video him in concert in a couple of weeks!
Trying to fly the Q500, was disasterous! My first two flights, it went up and drifted straight backwards into a object. The results were two broken props. I ordered replacements from China which gave me time to read the manual. Calibration to the controller was a novel concept to me!!
Since calibrating it, the unit flies completely smooth!! My friend sends an email stating he had not gotten permission to fly a drone at his concert so he tells me I will not be needed to fly and video him. Since this is a yearly concert, he told me that we will try again next year. In the mean time (one year) he tells me to hang onto the drone, fly it and get used to it!
First, you should also check the sticks on the ST10 using Hardware Monitor to make sure they operate smoothly and return to zero at center stick.
Second, on a first flight you need to allow the Q to sit on the ground with the motors off for about 13 minutes to allow time for the GPS to update.

Several dealers have the Q500 blades in stock depending on the country in which you live. Also, many countries would regard filming a concert as a commercial flight requiring a special license. The rules vary as well as the enforcement of the rules. In general, flying over people is a bad idea so you would need to stay back a ways to film. I have a simple guideline. If someone asks me to shot a venue or property, it's commercial and I won't do it. If I seek permission to fly a recreational flight and I'm given that permission, then I will.

It's a good idea to fly the first few flights without the camera. There are lots of good tutorials on the Q500 here:

Jeff Sibelius

Reactions: vmaxmasonrya
First, you should also check the sticks on the ST10 using Hardware Monitor to make sure they operate smoothly and return to zero at center stick.
Second, on a first flight you need to allow the Q to sit on the ground with the motors off for about 13 minutes to allow time for the GPS to update.

Several dealers have the Q500 blades in stock depending on the country in which you live. Also, many countries would regard filming a concert as a commercial flight requiring a special license. The rules vary as well as the enforcement of the rules. In general, flying over people is a bad idea so you would need to stay back a ways to film. I have a simple guideline. If someone asks me to shot a venue or property, it's commercial and I won't do it. If I seek permission to fly a recreational flight and I'm given that permission, then I will.

It's a good idea to fly the first few flights without the camera. There are lots of good tutorials on the Q500 here:

Jeff Sibelius

Thanks!! as drones are fairly new to me. The more I look into it, the more I realize the laws and ordinances are very restrictive on the use of drones. As for radio controlled park flyers (fixed wing), are the ordinances as stringent?

The Q500 should have come with a handgrip for the camera. While not as cool as the drone, it still counts as filming, and doesn't require a license.

Reactions: vmaxmasonrya

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval