Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4k very unstable

Before I start the motors, I check all the switches, the battery level, the sat count. I do the hoover control tests, then recheck the battery level.
The bird can be repaired on your kitchen table. The camera cannot. Remove it to practice or anytime you are testing for airworthiness.

Reactions: TheChiefUSN
Hi.
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I took it all on board.. and in my tired state lastnight I got mixed up with the firmware version and the GUI version.. anyways I tried a few test flights today paying heed to your comments and it is flying a little more stable but not as stable as I would like and not as stable as when I first got it.. I don't understand why it would drop and climb and veer left and right so much with practically no wind. I love the footage from this bird but when you want to hover and capture footage of things close up its a bit of a challenge.

don't understand why it would drop and climb and veer left and right so much with practically no wind
That is not normal for the Q. Can you post a video of what it looks like in hoover and flying in a straight line?

I will post one tomorrow.
Hi all.
I posted a short video on youtube. I couldn't figure out how to put it on the site... It is a bit more stable than it was the movement is not as sudden. As you can see in the video it started just over the hedge that's behind it which is about 12 -13 ft high. Zero wind as you will see by the leaves on the hedge

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that is pretty standard for the Q500's. Mine does the same thing. Bounces around and tries to settle again and moves from side to side sometimes a foot or more.
Here was mine, I was checking the legs for a vibration problem but you can see it moving around also.

Ahh.. Ok.. so that is the same for all? mine was much more stable today than the past few days and to be honest when I got it first it was extremely steady but I can see from your vid it is doing very much like what mine is doing. I usually go flying with a friend that has a dji p3 and that thing is rock steady in almost any conditions and just simply does not move unless he moves a stick on the controller and I suppose when I look at both of them side by side I wonder a little. Yuneec could probably fix that with a firmware update and maybe give us just a little more speed..I have seen videos of these things reaching very high speeds with GPS turned off which I know is not the thing to do but I reckon 5mph more would be managable and still safe to fly.
I just want to say a big thank you to everyone that gave me advice on trying to solve my issue. I hope when I become more knowledgeable I can return the same to someone else.

Reactions: Steve Carr
The most important calibration on the Q500 is the accelerometer. It can make a big difference in hover.
The second very important step is setting the Q on a level surface for launching. Reach under the bird, turn it on and don't touch it until it is fully booted up.

These tests that you have done are very close to obstacles, the effect of the turbulence is what triggers the instability.

Ahh.. Ok.. so that is the same for all? mine was much more stable today than the past few days and to be honest when I got it first it was extremely steady but I can see from your vid it is doing very much like what mine is doing. I usually go flying with a friend that has a dji p3 and that thing is rock steady in almost any conditions and just simply does not move unless he moves a stick on the controller and I suppose when I look at both of them side by side I wonder a little. Yuneec could probably fix that with a firmware update and maybe give us just a little more speed..I have seen videos of these things reaching very high speeds with GPS turned off which I know is not the thing to do but I reckon 5mph more would be managable and still safe to fly.
I just want to say a big thank you to everyone that gave me advice on trying to solve my issue. I hope when I become more knowledgeable I can return the same to someone else.

I own a DJI Phantom 3 pro as well that now I use just to hold down papers and collect dust I found it to be the most unstable jello taking videos(and I take the time to balance all my props) ,slow response from the transmitter! I have ever used. I prefer Yuneec and Hubsan by far. As well as dollar for dollar they are the best platforms for what I do with them all most daily.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430