Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4K No GPS Lock, No GUI

Reaction score
Your GPS issue is not a model compatibility issue. All versions of the Q500 are compatible with all cameras designed for the series.

To address the issue of true 4K or not, the main difference is the camera mount on the drone. The 4K camera mount has contacts in the mount itself, allowing you to mount and dismount the CGo3 camera without using the pigtail cable and the connector located on the drones belly just behind the camera mount. If your drone has the contacts (hotshoe mount), it is a legitimate Q500 4K.
The 4K also has the belly connector to use if needed for other camera models.
All good points on the matter.

The unit I have does NOT have contacts on the hotshoe mount itself, so I am obligated to use the pigtail cable to make the camera work through the belly connector. This might be because the previous owner changed to an earlier shell (?), yet still doubt this a factory original 4k Quad.

h-elsner

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I am trying learn on what might be the cause before I render myself to just swap the camera.
Problems with so called "Electromagnetic Compatibility" are hard to debug but intresting...

A question related to that: Has the pigtail cable the ferrite core mounted?
CGO3_Kabel2.JPG

br HE

Last edited:
Reaction score
- Yes, it does have the ferrite core. I will be getting a new pigtail in the next few days also, to eliminate another item off the list of possibilities.
- When you state that the elimination of the hotshoe was an improvement, could you kindly expand or elaborate further? The reason I ask this is because we are using this pigtail, that carries a ferrite core and still we use the hotshoe with contacts to transfer the signal through three separate exposed wires back to the camera board. This does not make techncal sense to me.

Last edited:

h-elsner

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
No, the introduction of the hotshoe was the improvment. The Q5004K befor came without it although it already were 4K (with CGO3). So this is no indication that your drone was not an 4K. However, all Q500 FC are the same, frame the same but details changed during the production time. First improvement war to move the compass from landing gear to nose of the drone. Later came hotshoe and Y-cable for the receiver. The color changed from white to grey or black, motor color changed and it got better material for the propeller.
The marketing name of the drone depends on the camera that was mounted, not the drone itself (all Q500). There was also a black edition to what belonging the black motors.

br HE

Reaction score
No, the introduction of the hotshoe was the improvment. The Q5004K befor came without it although it already were 4K (with CGO3). So this is no indication that your drone was not an 4K. However, all Q500 FC are the same, frame the same but details changed during the production time. First improvement war to move the compass from landing gear to nose of the drone. Later came hotshoe and Y-cable for the receiver. The color changed from white to grey or black, motor color changed and it got better material for the propeller.
The marketing name of the drone depends on the camera that was mounted, not the drone itself (all Q500). There was also a black edition to what belonging the black motors.

br HE
My aircraft has the grey and black shells (that are replacements, these don't even say "Yuneec" or "Q500 4K" on the side as factory shells do), but also has the black motors and no hotshoe, just the plug-in connector for the camera. I am leaning towards thinking that this Q500 was rebuilt using various year parts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update,

Got a new 3-wire camera cable with core, a new GPS module and also a used camera hotshoe to replace the non-electric one that's currently on the 500, so as to have two separate power sources avaiable for the camera, all of this to be swapped this weekend. I am even thinking of putting the GPS module on the outside on a small pod that goes upwards about three/four inches from the body, like a few other generic hexacopters I've seen that have them this way, just for testing purposes and at the same time hopefully strengthen the operating range on the GPS itself. I'm sure someone has done this before, so if there's information (good or no-no's), please fire away. At this point, I'm willing to experiment a lot with this craft, since it's been a pain to get it up and flying like it should have and it is very obvious it's a "Frankenstein" previously built from spares.

A question I have now is, will the extra (custom) wiring needed to extend the GPS module that I plan to mount on the outside of the craft need to be shielded or should I just "pretzel" or interlace the wires to minimize crossover interference to other modules?

Last edited:

h-elsner

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I would go one step after another in order to see what will help and what not. Do not change all at the same time. Debugging afterwards is nearly impossible then.

br HE

Reactions: WTFDproject
Reaction score
But of course there's a flowchart:
  • Swapping the camera power cable is easy to do and compare. If that does nothing for the drone...
  • I'll hook up the hotshoe, if that works it would end there and I can go and shield the internal wiring.
  • If the issue persists, then there's the original GPS module I plan to leave alone where it is and use the new one on the pod.
  • If that works, I'll exchange the modules. If it still continues to work I would say it's safe that the problem definitely points to the GPS, wiring and or placement.
  • If none of the above works, I will then have to change the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: h-elsner

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marilami