Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 almost committing suicide.

Reaction score
I was flying my q500, then while it was descending it started to do like this motion..... best way to explain - imagine drone is hovering, I take my RIGHT control stick and just go mental with it ( swinging the joystick in each corner very fast) But the problem is I wasnt doing it - I let go of the left stick to stop descend and it still would do it without any reason... and it was very violent.

Flying conditions when this happened.
Height when this happened - about 8-9 meters.
wind - 5kmh at best, basically none.
location - new location, I havent flown there before ( didnt perform GPS recalibration- maybe this is the reason ?)

Ive flown the drone many times and this is the first time it has happened
Bonus question - what exactly is accelometer used for ? My guess is for drone pitch and roll ?
Thanks in advance ! ?

Last edited:
@Shobos,
The Q500 series is known for it's tendency to "wobble" while traveling, but that does not sound like what you saw. I have seen behavior similar to what I think you are describing when an ESC is going bad. Those usually continue until the drone crashes, or at least until you manage to get it on the ground. And then fly normally the next time you take off, until it happens again sometime later.
Not sure if the flight logs will reveal anything, but you might want to zip them up (the entire flight log directory) and post them with the date and time of the flight in question.

GPS would have been good, or you would not have been able to start motors. Possibly could use a compass and accelerometer calibration, but those would not produce an effect that "comes and goes".

Accelerometer is how the drone knows it has moved. If it senses movement and you told it to move, it does nothing. If it senses movement and you did NOT tell it to move, it corrects for the movement (it assumes it was something like wind). It mostly assists the GPS in maintaining relatively stable position.

Reactions: Madbull and Shobos
@Shobos,
The Q500 series is known for it's tendency to "wobble" while traveling, but that does not sound like what you saw. I have seen behavior similar to what I think you are describing when an ESC is going bad. Those usually continue until the drone crashes, or at least until you manage to get it on the ground. And then fly normally the next time you take off, until it happens again sometime later.
Not sure if the flight logs will reveal anything, but you might want to zip them up (the entire flight log directory) and post them with the date and time of the flight in question.

GPS would have been good, or you would not have been able to start motors. Possibly could use a compass and accelerometer calibration, but those would not produce an effect that "comes and goes".

Accelerometer is how the drone knows it has moved. If it senses movement and you told it to move, it does nothing. If it senses movement and you did NOT tell it to move, it corrects for the movement (it assumes it was something like wind). It mostly assists the GPS in maintaining relatively stable position.
Thank You for the info ! The drone was wobbling but like going into circle - everh single corner of drone was coming up and down... I dont have sd card inside the st10 so i dont think ill have slme flight logs...

@Shobos,
This isn't GOOD advice, but it's about all I can think of right now:
1.) Do a fresh compass and accelerometer calibration.
2.) Put an SD card in the ST10.
3.) Take the camera off.
4.) Choose a place unlikely to cause damage if things don't go well.
5.) Practice getting to and holding the stop button.
6.) Do a steady hover flight about 2 meters off the ground. Run the battery down to about first alarm.
7.) If you see anything odd, then upload the flight log.

Reactions: biltno
Slow your decent.
Sounds like you may have been coming down to fast and got hung up in your own prop wash.
Also, instead of dropping straight down try descending on an angle instead.
Good luck,
Jafo

Slow your decent.
Sounds like you may have been coming down to fast and got hung up in your own prop wash.
Also, instead of dropping straight down try descending on an angle instead.
Good luck,
Jafo
@Shobos,
This isn't GOOD advice, but it's about all I can think of right now:
1.) Do a fresh compass and accelerometer calibration.
2.) Put an SD card in the ST10.
3.) Take the camera off.
4.) Choose a place unlikely to cause damage if things don't go well.
5.) Practice getting to and holding the stop button.
6.) Do a steady hover flight about 2 meters off the ground. Run the battery down to about first alarm.
7.) If you see anything odd, then upload the flight log.
Thanks,finally got time to do a test - I did a recalibration of GPS and all seems to be fine now ! no problem at all. Thanks !

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joyflightfare