Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 USB Com port

Reaction score
Q500 has a solid red light, no beeps or sound, does not bind to s10, when connect to PC via USB cable provided to Q500 does not connect to COM port for update firmware. Downloaded firmware and GUI for Q500 from yuneecskins.com.

FW update is the very last step in this case. Sounds like a HW failure. Did you get a short beep after switch on? This one is made by ESC. Did you get the melody after switch on? This came from flight controller and say that it is booting up.

Do you see the orange LED inside the left wing blinking?

What happens if you connect the USB cable to the PC (only the cable, without connection to the drone)?
The Device manager should show the serial port from FTDI and assign a COM number. Is this working? Then we know we have the correct driver installed and the GUI is ready to work.

Can you connect the drone to the GUI and see if all sensors are OK and working?

Please tell us what is working and what not.

br HE

Reactions: DoomMeister
Switching on the drone, lights red solid the back and the two wings and white the front wings.

I'm tying on a different PC and the device manager assigned a Com1 only but still disconnected trying port com1

Still no difference if I disconnect from the quad.

Attachments

• 16202619712032394168717087064637.jpg
    16202619712032394168717087064637.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 16202620005291163049635785601502.jpg
    16202620005291163049635785601502.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
COM1 comes and goes if you connect/disconnect the USB cable?
Usually COM1 is occupied by the system itself but this may be different at your PC.
To be sure check driver properties. It should look like that.
FTDI.png

Beside the main LED in the motor lamp shade, do you see the blue LEDs from the ESCs shining there?

Der red status LED should be only for a short time during initialization. Seems the flight controller stuck in initialisation phase and will never came up. This would explain why there is no serial connection GUI.
Did you see the orange LED blinking inside the left wing?

Are you sure your battery is OK and is not pressing the main board down?

br HE

May be it's not your case, but some pc's needs a "virtual com port driver" installed, like STM32 drivers.
On my Chroma, standard drivers didn't work and I was able to connect to Gui only after installation of STM32 drivers.
I have a Windows 7 pc.
You can find them here:

Sorry, STM driver are neccessary for Typhoon H. Serial to USB is onboard, controlled by STM32.
But the serial-USB converter for Q500 is based on FTDI chip. This needs another driver.
COM-Port.png

br HE

So, the battery is not pressing down, the blue lights yes they are inside the red lights.
So with and from where I can get that driver for FTDI.

Have you checked the properties of your driver for COM1? Is it FTDI or not?
Have you connected and disconnected the USB cable and checked if COM port comes and goes?
I would check that out before fiddling around with the driver.

However, the driver depending on your OS is here:

I guess GUI will not help if the drone never came out of the initializing mode.

Yes , com1 Port is FTDI,, so, when I connect the USB cable comes the com1 port, if I disconnect it it leaves, but it makes no difference if I leave it connect it to the PC, and disconnect it from the Q500, or if I torn on or off the Q500, the com1 still the same.
And the com1 does not accept the, DCM V2.12.28 WHQL CERTIFIED.

Yes , com1 Port is FTDI,, so, when I connect the USB cable comes the com1 port, if I disconnect it it leaves, but it makes no difference if I leave it connect it to the PC, and disconnect it from the Q500, or if I torn on or off the Q500, the com1 still the same.
OK, then we know Serial-USB-Converter, related driver and GUI are OK and working. The problem is as expected the drone. It does not initialize.

Remove camera to exclude possible problems from there.
Inspect cable connections, plugs and sockets, especially GPS module and compass module.
Inspect PCB if there are burnt pieces or scratches on the PCB, the conductive tracks and pads.

Edit: Try to remove the receiver. It uses the same wires as the serial port to USB. If the receiver is defect it may shut down serial connection too.

If I start a naked mainboard without any periphery it will connect to the GUI and status LED sends blink code red-green-blue.
naked_mainboard.png
br HE

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
Ok, I guess then that I have to take the Q500 apart, that will take me some time to go over also all the points mentioned.
So, I will be back here in a while.
Thanks anyway for your very appreciated help.

So, unfortunately, I can't download any of those drivers on my PC, may be because I do it wrong, or my PC does not accept them .
But may be that's not the reason I can't connect to the com port.
So, I removed also all the peripheral and still doesn't connect at all. Should I remove the 4 rotors connection??

You don't need driver, your Serial-USB converter + driver is working. If it comes and goes in the device manager if you plug and unplug it and it got a COM port number there is no need to fiddle around with drivers on PC. It's simply working.
Locate the problem beginning with serial plug, y-cable and main board.
My guess is the main board has a problem.

br HE

Yes, I agree, but it looks ok, I don't know what or how to find the problem in the main board?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval