Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Quality stills on H

It's interesting that JPG's have the Exif exposure data as well as GPS coords. DNG's have nothing. I'm hoping Yuneec fixes this in a firmware update. I thought about trying to shoot simultaneous raw and jpg as I can do in my DSLR's and then copy EXIF from the jpg to the dng, but there doesn't appear to be a way for it to shoot both yet either.
Hadn't realised it did in JPG but then I haven't tried it. It would be nice for a few more features. I would like it not to keep resetting to default every time you switch between movie and stills.
I would like to be able to alter exposure with one of the spare switches as I find the touchscreen quite awkward for this.

Hadn't realised it did in JPG but then I haven't tried it. It would be nice for a few more features. I would like it not to keep resetting to default every time you switch between movie and stills.
I would like to be able to alter exposure with one of the spare switches as I find the touchscreen quite awkward for this.

I agree that the D pads aren't put to good use and adjusting the camera settings with them would be ideal!

I'm stunned at the image quality you have achieved. I hope I can get half as close as that. My images never look great on the 12mp still setting but I have a lot to learn and often fly in the evening so the light isn't great.

I agree that the D pads aren't put to good use and adjusting the camera settings with them would be ideal!

I'm stunned at the image quality you have achieved. I hope I can get half as close as that. My images never look great on the 12mp still setting but I have a lot to learn and often fly in the evening so the light isn't great.
Thank you for the kind words, I do disagree with you though regarding light in the evening. That along with early morning is usually the best time for landcape photography (in my opinion). I agree that there is less of it which can make it a balance between ISO and image quality, especially on a drone where you need a high enough shutter speed. When the sun is higher though, particularly at this time of year the light is very harsh and flat. That image you refer to was a late evening shot.

Thank you for the kind words, I do disagree with you though regarding light in the evening. That along with early morning is usually the best time for landcape photography (in my opinion). I agree that there is less of it which can make it a balance between ISO and image quality, especially on a drone where you need a high enough shutter speed. When the sun is higher though, particularly at this time of year the light is very harsh and flat. That image you refer to was a late evening shot.

Shows I have lots to learn. I have only flown my typhoon a handful of times and that has been during the last hour or two of light mostly. I live on the south downs so plenty to photograph and practice with. I have been only used JPG so far. Could that be my problem?

Shows I have lots to learn. I have only flown my typhoon a handful of times and that has been during the last hour or two of light mostly. I live on the south downs so plenty to photograph and practice with. I have been only used JPG so far. Could that be my problem?
Jpeg's will produce a more pleasing image straight out of the camera. It is why pro sports photographers and photo journalists use them so that they can be uploaded to the news desk immediately.
RAW will give you much more flexibility for manipulation. You can still manipulate a Jpeg but less so and each edit degrades the image a little.

Jpeg's will produce a more pleasing image straight out of the camera. It is why pro sports photographers and photo journalists use them so that they can be uploaded to the news desk immediately.
RAW will give you much more flexibility for manipulation. You can still manipulate a Jpeg but less so and each edit degrades the image a little.

I've had a good look at some images I took this evening and I believe the problem is with the camera. It's blurry down the right and along the top but super crisp in the middle. I've seen others have this problem. Should I email yuneec? Will they replace it? I've attached some samples.

Attachments

• YUN00091.jpg
    YUN00091.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • YUN00092.jpg
    YUN00092.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • YUN00094.jpg
    YUN00094.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
I've had a good look at some images I took this evening and I believe the problem is with the camera. It's blurry down the right and along the top but super crisp in the middle. I've seen others have this problem. Should I email yuneec? Will they replace it? I've attached some samples.
I have similar issues....Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 23.25.28.jpg

Reactions: Adamday331
Well your images seem to be similar to mine, I think it is possibly the lens is focussed too far forward. I shall be calling them tomorrow

You think there is a problem to? Please let me know the outcome with what they say so I know what to expect

From my eyes, your sample photos show a bit of blur/distortion on the upper right but overall the image is fine. If I had your camera, I would live with it because it doesn't look bad... and I'm a photographer. The only time the lens should really show it's limitations is on a bright sunny day (blur will be more pronounced). Take some photos then and see what you think. Also, these camera lenses are more designed for video, not photo. If your video looks fine then don't loose sleep over it because you'll never get a good photo snapshot with this type of lens (has way to much distortion on the edges)..

I have similar issues....

It is very noticeable in the grasses and trees I have found. I think I read once that one guy sent his camera back for a new one and it had the same problems. I was already dubious about my 'new' typhoon when I opened the box to find grease prints on the camera buttons and the wizard already in the plastic sleeve.

Reactions: banned user
From my eyes, your sample photos show a bit of blur/distortion on the upper right but overall the image is fine. If I had your camera, I would live with it because it doesn't look bad... and I'm a photographer. The only time the lens should really show it's limitations is on a bright sunny day (blur will be more pronounced). Take some photos then and see what you think. Also, these camera lenses are more designed for video, not photo. If your video looks fine then don't loose sleep over it because you'll never get a good photo snapshot with this type of lens (has way to much distortion on the edges)..

Thanks for the positive words. I do appreciate it is not a true pro image machine like ones using a separate camera costing thousands. I think everyone, not only me expects things to be perfect these days for what ever money you pay and obviously that cant always happen. It is still an ace bit of kit to use

Thanks for the positive words. I do appreciate it is not a true pro image machine like ones using a separate camera costing thousands. I think everyone, not only me expects things to be perfect these days for what ever money you pay and obviously that cant always happen. It is still an ace bit of kit to use
I think the issue is that for a camera that was released 2 years after the Go-Pro Hero 4 everyone expects at least the same quality if not better. From my own video and images and from looking at others, it seems the camera is below the standard of the Go-Pro4. This is a little disappointing since the Go-Pro4 uses a Sony IMX177 processor which was the same as used in the CG03 camera.
If you take the core elements of a digital camera,- lens - sensor and processor, we can fix the lens issue because like most small action cams it uses an industry standard screw in connection the rest we are stuck with.... we still don't know what sensor the camera is using, (some have said "latest sony version") but I've yet to see any proof of this, the processor appears to be an old Ambaralla S2 (security camera module) not a more modern (2 Year old) A9 processor like in the Go-Pro 4. It would be great to know where the bottle neck really lies and if any modification is possible.

I think its a great shame that there are so many negative comments on the camera because Yuneec have made such a great platform for it...but at the end of the day it not a racing quad or endurance quad, its a small camera platform and the camera appears to me designed from old or not not even close to the best of what was available. For only a few dollars of saving so much more could have been achieved, the latest sony sensors for example with stabilisation built in only cost about $20.

Last edited:
I think the issue is that for a camera that was released 2 years after the Go-Pro Hero 4 everyone expects at least the same quality if not better. From my own video and images and from looking at others, it seems the camera is below the standard of the Go-Pro4. This is a little disappointing since the Go-Pro4 uses a Sony IMX177 processor which was the same as used in the CG03 camera.
If you take the core elements of a digital camera,- lens - sensor and processor, we can fix the lens issue because like most small action cams it uses an industry standard screw in connection the rest we are stuck with.... we still don't know what sensor the camera is using, (some have said "latest sony version") but I've yet to see any proof of this, the processor appears to be an old Ambaralla S2 (security camera module) not a more modern (2 Year old) A9 processor in the Go-Pro 4. It would be great to know where the bottle neck really lies and if any modification is possible.

I think its a great shame that there are so many negative comments on the camera because Yuneec have made such a great platform for it...but at the end of the day it not a racing quad or endurance quad, its a small camera platform and the camera appears to me designed from old or not not even close to the best of what was available. For only a few dollars of saving so much more could have been achieved, the latest sony sensors for example with stabilisation built in only cost about $20.
I don't disagree, as a photographer I always expected limitations, but I did expect it to give reasonable front to back focus. I would happily buy another bolt on camera for this if it was available. The H is as you say a great platform. I wish Yuneec who must be aware of the issues by now would actually give out some information, if they hinted at an improved camera in say 6 months I would be happy to wait.

Reactions: banned user
I don't disagree, as a photographer I always expected limitations, but I did expect it to give reasonable front to back focus. I would happily buy another bolt on camera for this if it was available. The H is as you say a great platform. I wish Yuneec who must be aware of the issues by now would actually give out some information, if they hinted at an improved camera in say 6 months I would be happy to wait.
I'm going to see about using 2 controllers, The ST 10 for the Go Pro gimbal from the Typhoon G which will pair, and mount this on the H.. = Go-Pro or better on the H..... I hope...I will try out when I next get close to my dealer....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my