Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Rakonheli typhoon q500 rebuild

Reaction score
I have just rebuilt my q500 but I'm having problems accruring the gps and will only start in angle mode with the gps turned off? Do I need to do a factory reset? If someone could help please? I'm worried that if I fly with the GPS off? I could have a fly away?

I have just rebuilt my q500 but I'm having problems accruring the gps and will only start in angle mode with the gps turned off? Do I need to do a factory reset? If someone could help please? I'm worried that if I fly with the GPS off? I could have a fly away?
I would recheck the connections. especially to the gps module. taking the electronics from the old frame to the new. everything
should turn on as it did before. a factory reset, yes, you could do that. but again, with no solid gps connection, you'll probably get the same response...

You haven't given us much to work with. Please provide as much detail as you can about the installation on the new frame, and any history while on the old frame. Include items such as :
Are you outside, with a clear view of the sky?
How long did you let it search for satellites?
Was the GPS unit left without power for more than a few months?
Is the GPS mounted with the arrow /wires pointing towards the rear of the copter?
Is the GPS unit mounted with the antenna side up?
Is the new mounting position protected from interference from other components?
How many satellites are registering for the drone?
How many satellites are registering for the controller?
What do you see on the GUI screen?
Have you reviewed the Flight Log Data?

Reactions: 7cyclops
You haven't given us much to work with. Please provide as much detail as you can about the installation on the new frame, and any history while on the old frame. Include items such as :
Are you outside, with a clear view of the sky?
How long did you let it search for satellites?
Was the GPS unit left without power for more than a few months?
Is the GPS mounted with the arrow /wires pointing towards the rear of the copter?
Is the GPS unit mounted with the antenna side up?
Is the new mounting position protected from interference from other components?
How many satellites are registering for the drone?
How many satellites are registering for the controller?
What do you see on the GUI screen?
Have you reviewed the Flight Log Data?
I Was outside in a large field and my drone had been out of action for about 7 weeks from crashing to rebuild? The wires to the gps point forward (I think?). The antenna is up the same way it came out from the original frame. But maybe not protected from the other components? As I put the gold foil on the outer casing like in the original? But I think that it now may of needed to go somewhere else? It's picking up 6-12 satellites on both controller and drone, but constantly requiring a gps on the controller and left the drone to fix a signal for about 25minutes? The GUI says gps is good with a tick and shows a longitude and latitude position? Also, I've noticed that I can't get a compass position on the controller ? Maybe that has something to do with it? Thanks!

I Was outside in a large field and my drone had been out of action for about 7 weeks from crashing to rebuild? The wires to the gps point forward (I think?). The antenna is up the same way it came out from the original frame. But maybe not protected from the other components? As I put the gold foil on the outer casing like in the original? But I think that it now may of needed to go somewhere else? It's picking up 6-12 satellites on both controller and drone, but constantly requiring a gps on the controller and left the drone to fix a signal for about 25minutes? The GUI says gps is good with a tick and shows a longitude and latitude position? Also, I've noticed that I can't get a compass position on the controller ? Maybe that has something to do with it? Thanks!
"out of action for about 7 weeks "
7 weeks is not an issue. You're good there.

"The wires to the gps point forward"
Ensure they point towards the rear. GPS will not function with the wires in any other orientation.

"But maybe not protected from the other components? As I put the gold foil on the outer casing.."
Not 100% sure I understand, but make sure the foil is between the GPS and the other electronics, and sealed as well as possible around the edges. And of course, ensure none of the foil is blocking the antenna from the sky.

"It's picking up 6-12 satellites on both controller and drone,"
6 is definitely not enough. 12 would be marginal, considering the number varies from minute to minute. I assume the "6" is on the controller, but please confirm. It would be an important clue if the drone is showing less than the controller.

"GUI says gps is good with a tick and shows a longitude and latitude position"
About how many satellites total did it acquire? How many was it using in the calculation?
(I know it jumps around constantly, but a good guess might be helpful)

Also, make sure the compass is oriented EXACTLY the same as it was on the Q500 frame. If upside down, laid sideways, pointed in the wrong direction, etc., things won't work.

It would be a good idea to upload your flightlog directory to the forum for review. Attachment 54 (Q500 and Chroma Flight Log Retrieval) of "Way To Fix Drones project" is a somewhat elaborate, "one size fits all" version of how it's done, and can be used if needed. Essentially, the idea is to copy the "Flightlog" directory from your controller's SD card, zip the entire directory, and post the zip file to the forum. Please be aware the data shows your actual flight positions. A few folks have felt privacy concerns, and limited the data to only the "flights" needed for review.

"out of action for about 7 weeks "
7 weeks is not an issue. You're good there.

"The wires to the gps point forward"
Ensure they point towards the rear. GPS will not function with the wires in any other orientation.

"But maybe not protected from the other components? As I put the gold foil on the outer casing.."
Not 100% sure I understand, but make sure the foil is between the GPS and the other electronics, and sealed as well as possible around the edges. And of course, ensure none of the foil is blocking the antenna from the sky.

"It's picking up 6-12 satellites on both controller and drone,"
6 is definitely not enough. 12 would be marginal, considering the number varies from minute to minute. I assume the "6" is on the controller, but please confirm. It would be an important clue if the drone is showing less than the controller.

"GUI says gps is good with a tick and shows a longitude and latitude position"
About how many satellites total did it acquire? How many was it using in the calculation?
(I know it jumps around constantly, but a good guess might be helpful)

Also, make sure the compass is oriented EXACTLY the same as it was on the Q500 frame. If upside down, laid sideways, pointed in the wrong direction, etc., things won't work.

It would be a good idea to upload your flightlog directory to the forum for review. Attachment 54 (Q500 and Chroma Flight Log Retrieval) of "Way To Fix Drones project" is a somewhat elaborate, "one size fits all" version of how it's done, and can be used if needed. Essentially, the idea is to copy the "Flightlog" directory from your controller's SD card, zip the entire directory, and post the zip file to the forum. Please be aware the data shows your actual flight positions. A few folks have felt privacy concerns, and limited the data to only the "flights" needed for review.
I found the problem! I hadn't completed the compass assignment process properly? All now seems fine? Now just waiting for a good calm day for a test flight? Thanks for all your help much appreciated! P.s my gps wires were facing backwards. Not forward like I first mentioned. Thanks again

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvca441772