Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Range of transmission

I do not have a lot of Radio experience so I won't input in an area I shouldn't. However, a couple of thoughts after reading the above posts.
Has your mother had training flying a drone? Flying in close proximity as a hobby is different than flying at a distance, orientation problems, battery strength limiting flight duration, unknown weather interference, drone malfunctions, signal loss, etc. I do not know your mother and do not judge her, But you may want her to experience these situations to see how she handles an emergency should it happen, and to see if she is still willing or able to handle them in a real environment.
If you are going to use the drone to check on cattle, and as you stated it is a large area, you will have to take into consideration the flight time to the herd, how much time to return, and figure out how much time that will leave you to scan and inspect your herd with the remaining battery life after removing to/from times.

In cattle situations I have seen, the pilot is usually on the ground out in the field working out of a truck. He has plenty of time to fly over, identify a problem, manage the problem and then return to land.

Using a Drone will also be limited by weather conditions. Rain, Freezing weather, snow, Heavy Fog, etc, These will prevent you from flying limiting when you can use the Drone for your desired goal.

I say these things only to tell you that distance is not the only factor when deciding on a Drone. I have flown the Typhoon H over a mile with the stock antenna and LOS. If you have any trees or obstacles they will reduce this distance.

As one of the above posts mentioned. Remote cameras may be an option. I have PTZ dome cameras around my home with 90x optical zoom, IR Illumination, and built in heaters. Purchased for under $300.00. They connect to my WiFi and allow me to monitor and control them from anywhere on my cell phone. You could also purchase cameras with much higher zoom capability.

You are already looking at radio communications for your property. I might suggest you look at installing cameras at strategic locations connected to a wireless system with a monitor in your home and remote capability. When you see something of interest, weather permitting, you can then send your drone out to get a closer look and see if the situation requires further intervention. The Typhoon H is a strong steady aircraft and will fulfill many of your needs, however, it has limitations as mentioned above. Good Luck!

I will have to dig them up, they were purchased 4 years ago. I am out of town for a few days. If you can wait I will look for them. If not, just search for PTZ Outdoor Dome Cameras. You will find a variety of price ranges. Since it will be used out on the range, look for those with built-in heaters to keep them from fogging up. You will also want Optical Zoom, Not Digital Zoom.

We bought the drone for fun.
Just tying to utilize all my resources ...... It's just under two miles from one end of our farm to the other with my house in the middle.

Sincerely,

I think you finally produced a better, more accurate description of your actual setup in your last post to receive some valid and pertinent responses to your original question. Initial misunderstandings do not lead to clarity later on.

Given the range of the H, the usual flatness of cattle grazing lands that I presume also exist upon your lands, too, combined with your described visual and signal high point being situated on a hill in the property's center, I would say observing your herd and farmland would be no different than pushing for a 20-minute flight anywhere with the Typhoon. You just have to do some pre-planning and take the right approach.

This unique aircraft can get to places quick, even with its GPS running. I think you could easily take bites of your land from above if you followed an established grid pattern and were efficient in your maneuvers and approach. You couldn't lollygag around or waste battery time needlessly (which I would set a timer for so as not to get into any troubles having enough juice to return home on) and should purposely cut in half your necessary number of flights to observe your entire farm by planning return flights that fly over yet unobserved sections of the land/herd to avoid redundant flights. But you could fly in for a closer look at a particular situation if you needed to, no problem.

To pull this off would require no more amount of controller/aircraft finesse and ability than you SHOULD already have in order to even consider taking any drone - either commercial or consumer grade - out as far as you want to and for the purposes you have described. You'd be flying VLOS only so far before you would become totally dependent on your H's camera for recognizable landmarks to fix directions on and work out your flight plan with, as well as the realtime telemetry data your ST16 would be showing you.

So you'd better first be very comfortable to do what I consider to be some IFR flying, i.e., Instrument Flight Rated flying. You must fully understand the green arrow in the center of the display and know what it means in relationship to you always, and have your stick control - even in rotating the craft - down pat. I'm assuming you know your land like the back of your hand; that would be a requirement for me, too, to embark on this. Camera visuals and your instruments will be all you will have at some point, so you need to have a real good working knowledge of the lay of the land to accomplish this properly and to be able to put the Typhoon down someplace safe in the event of an emergency.

I think if you at least observed what I've related here (and perhaps take the advice any others may have to add) you could, indeed, use your H as you had planned to monitor your landholdings. And I would stick with the H over the Phantom, hands down and no question about it. It's just a better machine to me and owns the sky in a much better way.

P.S. You may want to look into antennae range extenders, which I currently know too little about to offer any valuable recommendations to you on. There are threads about those, however, in the forum if you search for them. Good Luck with your project!

Reactions: GhostGuy
I do not have a lot of Radio experience so I won't input in an area I shouldn't. However, a couple of thoughts after reading the above posts.
Has your mother had training flying a drone? Flying in close proximity as a hobby is different than flying at a distance, orientation problems, battery strength limiting flight duration, unknown weather interference, drone malfunctions, signal loss, etc. I do not know your mother and do not judge her, But you may want her to experience these situations to see how she handles an emergency should it happen, and to see if she is still willing or able to handle them in a real environment.
If you are going to use the drone to check on cattle, and as you stated it is a large area, you will have to take into consideration the flight time to the herd, how much time to return, and figure out how much time that will leave you to scan and inspect your herd with the remaining battery life after removing to/from times.

In cattle situations I have seen, the pilot is usually on the ground out in the field working out of a truck. He has plenty of time to fly over, identify a problem, manage the problem and then return to land.

Using a Drone will also be limited by weather conditions. Rain, Freezing weather, snow, Heavy Fog, etc, These will prevent you from flying limiting when you can use the Drone for your desired goal.

I say these things only to tell you that distance is not the only factor when deciding on a Drone. I have flown the Typhoon H over a mile with the stock antenna and LOS. If you have any trees or obstacles they will reduce this distance.

As one of the above posts mentioned. Remote cameras may be an option. I have PTZ dome cameras around my home with 90x optical zoom, IR Illumination, and built in heaters. Purchased for under $300.00. They connect to my WiFi and allow me to monitor and control them from anywhere on my cell phone. You could also purchase cameras with much higher zoom capability.

You are already looking at radio communications for your property. I might suggest you look at installing cameras at strategic locations connected to a wireless system with a monitor in your home and remote capability. When you see something of interest, weather permitting, you can then send your drone out to get a closer look and see if the situation requires further intervention. The Typhoon H is a strong steady aircraft and will fulfill many of your needs, however, it has limitations as mentioned above. Good Luck!

Thanks again for all the good information.
I think the H is easy to fly. I'm impressed so far. The technology is awesome and regarding mom, I referenced her because I'm trying to set up simple to use systems. Not as a burden, Just fun stuff.
My 15 year old daughter and 9 year old son handled the h with no problem. The view is incredible. We learned in angle mode. I want to be sure that anything we do is not in the least bit questionable. I am closely connected to the USDA because I am currently restoring part of our farm into a wetland. I absolutely do not want to cross any lines. That's why I appreciate all your' input. I did offer our local high school use of our H. Prior to any use away from my property, I will make sure whatever the use May be doesn't contradict or break any laws.
This morning I drove (truck) to the back of the property. We seen at least 150 wild turkeys and hundreds of mallards.
I plan to get licensing to try and reintroduce pheasants, partridge and quail. I'm trying to offer any experience and resource I can to stimulate youth motivation and independence.
One question though,
Can I give the USDA NRCS employees video and pics of the restoration area? They are currently preparing a restoration plan.
I'm not sure what they would use it for beyond just a reference. I want no compensation. Just thought the view might helpful with their planning.
Again as always thank you all.
I appreciate good people.
Sincerely,

I think you finally produced a better, more accurate description of your actual setup in your last post to receive some valid and pertinent responses to your original question. Initial misunderstandings do not lead to clarity later on.

Given the range of the H, the usual flatness of cattle grazing lands that I presume also exist upon your lands, too, combined with your described visual and signal high point being situated on a hill in the property's center, I would say observing your herd and farmland would be no different than pushing for a 20-minute flight anywhere with the Typhoon. You just have to do some pre-planning and take the right approach.

This unique aircraft can get to places quick, even with its GPS running. I think you could easily take bites of your land from above if you followed an established grid pattern and were efficient in your maneuvers and approach. You couldn't lollygag around or waste battery time needlessly (which I would set a timer for so as not to get into any troubles having enough juice to return home on) and should purposely cut in half your necessary number of flights to observe your entire farm by planning return flights that fly over yet unobserved sections of the land/herd to avoid redundant flights. But you could fly in for a closer look at a particular situation if you needed to, no problem.

To pull this off would require no more amount of controller/aircraft finesse and ability than you SHOULD already have in order to even consider taking any drone - either commercial or consumer grade - out as far as you want to and for the purposes you have described. You'd be flying VLOS only so far before you would become totally dependent on your H's camera for recognizable landmarks to fix directions on and work out your flight plan with, as well as the realtime telemetry data your ST16 would be showing you.

So you'd better first be very comfortable to do what I consider to be some IFR flying, i.e., Instrument Flight Rated flying. You must fully understand the green arrow in the center of the display and know what it means in relationship to you always, and have your stick control - even in rotating the craft - down pat. I'm assuming you know your land like the back of your hand; that would be a requirement for me, too, to embark on this. Camera visuals and your instruments will be all you will have at some point, so you need to have a real good working knowledge of the lay of the land to accomplish this properly and to be able to put the Typhoon down someplace safe in the event of an emergency.

I think if you at least observed what I've related here (and perhaps take the advice any others may have to add) you could, indeed, use your H as you had planned to monitor your landholdings. And I would stick with the H over the Phantom, hands down and no question about it. It's just a better machine to me and owns the sky in a much better way.

P.S. You may want to look into antennae range extenders, which I currently know too little about to offer any valuable recommendations to you on. There are threads about those, however, in the forum if you search for them. Good Luck with your project!
Thank you very much. I anticipate learning as much as possible about this technology.
I work on robot automations and manufacturing equipment now but find drone technology extremely intriguing.
Thanks again!

120 acres is not that large where ranches are concerned. Depending on the land lay out it would be a lot cheaper, easier, and end up with longer lasting equipment to put a few cameras on poles where the camera orientation and zoom could be altered from the confines of home. Essentially a multi camera closed circuit TV system. Such technology works fine in large area high security locations. Saves the expense of replacing and setting up after crashing a drone, which you certainly will do, and do more than once.

Play around learning the drone tech separate from the yard security endeavor. You'll get more out of it that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New guy here,
Thank you in advance for your knowledge and willingness to help others.
Asking for knowledge, I think is a great compliment.
We bought our H for fun and to easily monitor our farm.
Does anyone know the most efficient way to set up a home based transmitter station to get the maximum range of control?
Trying to monitor Angus cattle from inside the house. We where able to fly out approximately 1/4 mile before the images started having issue. Wondering if I can use a home mountedexternal yagi antenna to increase our range. The end of Our furthest pasture is about a mile away.
Thank you I really appreciate the knowledge and input of professionals with experience.
Put a go pro on the head of one of the cattle with a remote operated rotating mount!!!!! Camera cow

Reactions: SkyDoctor and Tuna
I originally bought the DJI phantom 4.
I did a lot of research and thought the typhoon was a more advanced system.
Do you have reason to believe the DJI is more suited for our application? Thank you for your info.

Yes it will go about 3 miles without modification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it will go about 3 miles without modification. I have no dog in the fight as I own DJI, Yuneec and Autel. If you are looking for something that you can put down range to check out your farm the bird I would use would be a DJI Phantom 4, DJI Mavic or Autel Xstar Premium. All have far superior range than the H. The drawback is you will need a device to view the video. IOS devices seem to work the best.. DJI's video downlink is the best in the business. The video quality is also better than the H. So for what you want..this is how I would rank them.

DJI Phantom 4 (on sale right now)
DJI Mavic (very limited availability)
Autel Xstar Premium (probably best bang for the buck) - some latency but nothing like the TH
Yuneec Typhoon H -

If you were filming real estate or doing something that requires sophisticated gimbal operation the Typhoon would probably be the choice, but for what you want the H is not the best option.

That said, understand that being beyond line of sight is against the rules.

Holy cow guys.. really? Your advice is throw an ant. on top of the house. Really... how hard is it to say that the Typhoon uses wifi... which aside from being old technology is laggy and limited. DJI and Autel are better in range and signal transmission and it isn't close. I guess I'm a fanboy though because I provide accurate info.

Reactions: SkyDoctor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss