Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

.RAW function not working

Reaction score
When i set the camera to take photos in raw it still takes them in jpg format? i have done all the updates. while it takes great jpgs, i prefer to work in raw as it gives more control over exposure which is especially important with a camera like this that has very limited adjustments to start with.

i am using the typhoon q500 4k with cgo3

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
You have to be in Picture Mode on the ST10+ to get DNG (Raw). If in Video Modes above 1920x1080p fps120 it will save it to JPEG everytime. Another words you are able to take a picture in all modes 1920x1080p fps120 and above while in Video Mode on the ST10+ but you have to be in Picture Mode for the others below 1920x1080 fps120. But in order to get Raw pictures you must be in Picture Mode always.

There is a chart that helps explain this here: CGO3 Settings | Yuneec Drone Forum

You have to be in Picture Mode on the ST10+ to get DNG (Raw). If in Video Modes above 1920x1080p fps120 it will save it to JPEG everytime. Another words you are able to take a picture in all modes 1920x1080p fps120 and above while in Video Mode on the ST10+ but you have to be in Picture Mode for the others below 1920x1080 fps120. But in order to get Raw pictures you must be in Picture Mode always.

There is a chart that helps explain this here: CGO3 Settings | Yuneec Drone Forum

Thanks for the info,Its also important to note that you must have the "CGO3 Pro" selected in flight settings, "cgo3" will not take a picture below 1920x1080 120fps regardless and doesn't shoot in RAW/dng at all, under image settings there is "natural" "gorgeous" and "raw", however this should not be confused with .RAW or .dng (like I did).

This works and i am happy to say that in the RAW (dng) mode the image is recorded at 3992 x2992 making excellent use of the entire image sensor( as i expected). However, There are a few things: sometimes when in cgo3 pro, and dng. as image type, regardless of video res. the screen is black, i have to reset the drone or toggle between video and camera a few times( i never know which one will correct the problem). Of course if i want the lowest possible video res. and still want to take jpgs, this cannot be done, i might do this if i was just documenting something that would be emailed and is of little importance otherwise. And using the lower video settings in jpg mode also reduces the resolution of the jpg itself when using the "CGO3" still ok for documenting unimportant stuff.

If in raw/dng mode, it can set in video mode and i can still snap a shot without having to switch to camera mode, (provided the video res. is set above 1920x1080 120fps. While this is annoying i can live with it. Another note, if in cgo3pro, .jpg, video mode and snap a picture, the jpg will record in a video aspect ratio 16x9, if you are in dng and snap a pic while in video mode the aspect is correct for photos at 4:3. so in order to get the correct aspect ratio while in jpg. you must manually switch to camera before you shoot. Id rather start with an entire frame and crop to whatever aspect ratio i thinks works best for the final image than have the camera crop anything for me.

The CGO3 and CGO3 Pro modes are not explained well in the manual and after extensive testing i found that the pro mode is the only way to capture RAW files. the video and still shot settings are independent as they should be (but combined in CGO3, ie: the resolution of the video determines the resolution of the camera), but pro is also a bit laggy when in the air. starting and stopping video and switching from vid to cam can take some time, the further away from the controller the longer the lag, and sometimes the screen blacks out entirely for no apparent reason.

I was also led to believe that i could snap pictures while recording video, (even says so in the manual), this is currently not possible, but i hope that feature can be added in future updates, as i would like be able to snap pics without having to stop the video, shoot and then restart ( and yes i can do it in a video editing program, but i'd really rather not have to). I would also like to be able to format the memory card while it's in the camera. yes i can do it with the app and my smartphone, but the app is a bit unstable and still needs some work. i find it cumbersome and unreliable at this point.

Other than that, the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k is Awesome! Now i just have to get out there and start shooting before my flying choices disappear completely , but that's another discussion altogether!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval