Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Relocation of GPS and COMPASS Module

Hi All members,
Sorry about the AOL, but have had a huge amount of building work to finish and also doing the Webb site for my Relocation Towers. Old clients don't want to hear of retired or semi retired, but you do it and move on. Now for the Webb site , it is nearly ready to go live , working out postage prices and different rates for std or tracked, sorting out PayPal also and other payment systems. What a learning CURVE for a computer DINOSAUR, but getting there slowly. So now to PatR and what you wrote, you are correct in every word and I am still trying to get some sort of visual test sorted. I thought that I nearly had it 2 weeks ago and got my mate Bob Richter down to my town house and film me in between the buildings as the driveway is 6.5 meters from metal garage door to the neighbours garage door also. Set up and started every thing to film and Bob had not charged the camera battery, so we went ahead and did some times of my modified H and his standard one to acquire Satelite, we have used both drones down here before. Mine took 1minute and 13 seconds to acquire 17 sats and climbing , meanwhile Bob still had not acquired 10, finally at 2.23 minutes Bob had just enough to take off. I will try and post a plan of my buildings fromantic when I built them some 7 yrs ago and this will give you some idea of our field of view for acquiring the Satelittes,. In the middle of the buildings we have a 63° angle and when you lift off and go to the first roof line of the garage you get a 84° angle fISLD of view then you can go higher and get clear space at about the 5 meter high Mark. But this is what we fly in to be able to get views of the lower roofs on most owner occupied homes or town houses. The plan view is where we loaded up and flew in front of my town house ( the red x and circle) at the rear of the complexity front of that my ute was parked and Bob's was back on the right hand side very tight but did it. We will be retry ing this next week as this has to be up and running soon. I have also made a system for carrying weights under the H and they can be dropped accurately where ever you choose . This will also be filmed, I carried a 650 MLS water bottle with out any problems on a stringent under the H and it looks heaps better than my fishing apparatus, this also can be used for fishing.
PatR I am happy that I tried it against Bobs standard one, as it has shown me that it is definitely better than standard. Wait till next week and you will have a video to watch .
Also another thing that we did while we were here was at the end of each battery I did a heat test on both H's and mine was consistently 4 to 6 degrees cooler than Bobs , it was about midday when we did the testing. I am getting the opionion that this COOLING effect also has a lot to do with the confident stability that I am achieving.
So not too much longer and it will be out there for all to look at and evaluate for themselves.
Now to try and find this plan and post it also. I am not having much success but will keep trying.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Reactions: Dr Delta
I hope that I now have this plan to go with the previous post .It is just to show the angles etc and where the vehicles were, and will be when we do the video soon.
Johnno Hennessy.

Attachments

• 05102018_0001.pdf
    895.9 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Is this how the final build will look like?

View attachment 11797
Hi RPR,
The black and white components on the white sheet of paper are the finished product , the ones that are on the H's in the photo are my prototypes made of balsa wood ( old model builder ) to see if the relocation worked which it does and now I have 11 different colours to chose from and with in the next 2 weeks I will have my Webb site live and some videos for people to watch and order the colour of there choice , besides the benefits of the GPS the drone remains much COOLER than a standard one, this is achieved by the tower and it's clearances causing a venturi or chimney effect ,to vent out the hot air around the battery and top of the H . The tower is placed at the highest point of the H body for this purpose. Side on you will also see that the GPS module is also out of the prop wash effect of the blades ,which are carbon fibre impregnated plastic. Carbon fibre is a very good insulator of electronic signals, that is why they have the GPS Module of the 920 on a tower up out of the way of all possible interference. Sorry for taking so long but I am trying to do this with the most testing possible and making sure that it is a true MODERFICATION to enhance the FLYABILITY and RELIABILITY of the H . It is common knowledge that the less Interference and cooler and temperature stable you keep electronics the better they will perform, and this is what the Tower does.
Only a little while longer , as this has been a daunting task for me as I am very new to the COMPUTER AGE of things and Webb sites etc. Johnno Hennessy.

John,

That temperature delta, was that Centigrade or Fahrenheit? My guess has it Centigrade as you use metric standard there. 6C is quite a spread over 6F.

Hi Pat,
Yes that was center grade with a quality infrared thermometer, I was very surprised. That was from the hottest the black one to the white one and next was the natural colour one was next coolest and differing amounts for the colours. I was amazed at the variance but it was there. Maybe that's why it works for everything so well , the cooler the better. Also with it above the prop line by about 30 mm the downward flow of air may also help with the venturi or chimney effect. This has been a big leap forward for me with the computer and Webb design learning that I have had to do , but helps me sleep soundly at night. Over the next 2 weeks I will endeavor to have some videos and the Webb site launched and see where we go from there, also I have a new type of fishing and lifting device for the Yuneec series of birds. I tested the lifting mechanism and carried a 650 grams plus load no troubles at all and successfully dropped it at a designated point. Also still working on the Lithium -Ion battery, working through the big current draw to start the flight lift off, once up no problems with current draw , need to be able to adjust the computer voltage system to a lower voltage, mainly warnings and also li-ion can be drained down to 2.9 volts per cell without damaging the battery in any way .
I will keep you all posted over the next few weeks as to what is happening. Thanks for the interest in my project Pat, but if it helps the safety and stability of our Machines it is good for our chosen line of work and hobby. Johnno Hennessy.

Out of more curiosity, what has been the hottest temperature obtained from inside the shell of a stock H? The reason I ask is because many common consumer level electronic components often fail at temps near or above 40C. Components inside a fitting black shell need to withstand at least 60C if they are to be used in direct sunlight. Above a 60C limitation would be better as I’ve personally measured reflected ground temps above 140F under the summer sun, along with ambient air temps of 131F. Both of those measurements were obtained in a desert. Truth be told, heat, be it high or low, is a major factor with electronics.

Hi Pat,
Truth be known , I never measured the inside temp it was purely the outside temp on the hex cap of my tower and at the base of the tower where it attached. The ambient temperature was 23 ton25 and the hottest tower the black one , at the cap was 34 with the base at 39 to 40 . The white being the coolest the cap was 28 to 29 and the base was 33. This would be probably reflective ability of the white causing it to be cooler and causing a better venturi effect on the hull. Thanks Pat you have now given me another job to do and that is to remover the battery and check temps inside of the H . Goes to say no rest for the wicked, I would just like some spare time to be wicked. Ha ha. Very good thoughts Pat and in due course I will provide the answers for you. Johnno Hennessy.

Whoa... Talk about the cooling factor! Here in the islands 36C is your everyday posted temp, with feels like up towards 38C. Which is why I don't fly beyond 9am or before 5pm. Don't want to prove that the H will fail if outside temp is at or near 40C, because surely the internal Temps would be way more than that.

Today is a little cooler because of cloudy conditions.

Can't wait for the module to go online.
487b51d03610ca096d72d05c233616dd.jpg

Johnno,

Obtaining accurate measurements is why I suggested an Eagle Tree data logger awhile back. They provide thermocouples that can be placed almost anywhere to capture inside and outside temps simultaneously, while also recording electrical data with other sensors. A very handy tool.

Any progress on the video?
Slow reciprocation on here Johnno, it now makes me wonder of if there will be any support in the future if a member decides to purchase your product.

R P R,
I am trying to get everything right, so that there are no mistakes and there is plenty of stock. I am also doing my own inspection business and buildings for my old clients that won't take retirement for an answer. All this takes time and I am not on the Christmas Card list with computers and video machines and editing, so for that I am sorry but I can only go as fast as I am. It will all be happening before the end of the coming week, so hang on and everything will happen. Johnno Hennessy.

Johnno,

Obtaining accurate measurements is why I suggested an Eagle Tree data logger awhile back. They provide thermocouples that can be placed almost anywhere to capture inside and outside temps simultaneously, while also recording electrical data with other sensors. A very handy tool.
Hi PatR,
I looked at a tree logger and sensor Unit, but they are very expensive and I don't have any access to somebody that has one. Also you need one with a small enough sensor to be able to fit inside of the H body . My time is now taken up getting the Webb site and shop site ready and enough stock to start with as I am a one man band and want this done properly. It will be opened by the end of next week as I am doing a video of the instalation for the people that purchase the tower and a small one for here to show people what they get ,to enable to make their GPS and Compass Module relocated and removeable for transporting in the standard backpack. Sorry for the delays but it is just over the horizon. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

One quick question John Hennessey... Is the rig easy to detach for transport or storage? Kinda hard to load an H with a chimney on to the backpack...

Johnno is a man of a wider look, especially if it concerns practical use of stuff.
Therefore he wrote one and a half inch above your question: 'to enable to make their GPS and Compass Module relocated and removeable for transporting in the standard backpack. '

:cool:

Hi PatR,
I looked at a tree logger and sensor Unit, but they are very expensive and I don't have any access to somebody that has one. Also you need one with a small enough sensor to be able to fit inside of the H body . My time is now taken up getting the Webb site and shop site ready and enough stock to start with as I am a one man band and want this done properly. It will be opened by the end of next week as I am doing a video of the instalation for the people that purchase the tower and a small one for here to show people what they get ,to enable to make their GPS and Compass Module relocated and removeable for transporting in the standard backpack. Sorry for the delays but it is just over the horizon. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.
PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY!!!! Eagerly awaiting!

That might be kind of difficult as the antenna cable would severely restrict gimbal movement and stabilization.

Johnno is a man of a wider look, especially if it concerns practical use of stuff.
Therefore he wrote one and a half inch above your question: 'to enable to make their GPS and Compass Module relocated and removeable for transporting in the standard backpack. '

:cool:
Brain fart moment.... That question kept bugging me but kept forgetting to put the query in.... Then when he posted the reply I remembered that pending question so I just browsed his post then jumped down to type in my reply... Must have skipped that part 1 and a half inch from the end hahahaha

Just like when you're done for the day, landed your H, shut off the motors, turned off your H, extracted the batt, extracted the SD, placed in your case, drive home... Then you plug in your SD review your latest videos when you discovered you did not stop (again!) the video recording in your ST prior to shutdown.

Hi DurianFlyer,
Yes it is totally portable, and here are some shots of it in the back pack . Just to make sure it fitted, as I do alot of air travell with mine and it fits in the overhead locker on all the flights I have taken it in Australia. Rodson also wanted to see that it fitted and he pm me and these are some of the photos that I sent him.

Attachments

• 20180827_142433.jpg
    20180827_142433.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • 20180827_142044.jpg
    20180827_142044.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • 20180827_142012.jpg
    20180827_142012.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • 20180827_142338.jpg
    20180827_142338.jpg