Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Relocation of GPS and COMPASS Module

John Hennessy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Hi, All fellow Members.
I have finally reached the stage of asking for Expressions of interest in the purchase of my Relocation Tower for the GPS and Compass Module for the Typhoon H. This is to gauge whether it is worth going ahead with doing a Youtube Video of DIY for the kit and stocking up materials and setting up a Busines Paypal account. In the photos posted, you will see the colours that are available to order.
These will be posted to your address in the STURDY CONTAINER shown in the Photo of the KIT CONTENTS (black one by its self, the container becomes a spare parts box and no damage during the postage, so no damages). For those that are unable to view youtube, there will be written and photographic instructions included in the container.
The PURCHASE PRICE is $ 55 USD including postage.
If there are further questions and all expressions of purchase PLEASE SEND THEM BY EMAIL TO [email protected] and all will be ANSWERED PROMPTLY.
If there are sufficient expressions by email, I expect that orders will start to be filled APPROX 4 weeks after the decision to put the product on the market.
I will be attempting to get a video up soon for you to see the DIY installation and if you wish to look at some videos of the H there are some on our business site on Youtube
UNEEK ROOF INSPECTIONS PTY LTD. They are just some of where we go fishing at FRASER ISLAND in Queensland, ( Worlds LARGEST SAND ISLAND ).
I have been using this TOWER since early February 208 and to this date, I have never had a compass or GPS lost NOTICE on the ST16 and we do a lot of building inspections between buildings no further apart than 8 meters and approx 7 meters high and all metal clad. Without doing this MODIFICATION I doubt that we would be able to do half the jobs that we have.
Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the GRASS.20180826_172127.jpg20180826_172656.jpg20180826_172127.jpg20180826_172656.jpg

Johnno... I know you cannot provide a definitive answer... maybe you can contact @Haydn for specifications, to answer... will this modification fit/work with the H Plus / 520 ??

Johnno,

Might you make a 3 minute video demonstrating positional stability for people to quickly see the improvements?

I believe that if people see the difference in positional performance for themselves there could be a lot of interest in your solution. I know it works, you know it works, but these days people have to have video.

Reactions: cbphoto2006
A couple of strong points might be stability in hover with the H in front or over something to display relative motion. Another might be to demonstrate positive control and satellite counts with the H flying between structures. This last one is kind of a biggie as drop in sat counts when between structures is common to most systems. So holding a reasonable number of sats while not drifting a significant amount tells a good story.

Hi E E V, I have been in contact with Haydn about fitting to 520 and H plus and I don't see any problems with that. Connections are a problem as they are proprietary and will be on to them ASAP. The biggest advantage is venting the hot air out of the body and electronics and getting that module also out of the heat and with the extra copper shielding to the bottom of the new hex tower base this solves alot of problems people are haveing with heat build up in the body. As PatR has said if you were building one you would not put this module where it is for just those two factors alone. Working hard on a demo video for all to evaluate. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Thanks Pat , That is along the lines that I was going, but to put it into action and tape it is another. Also I will record the heat build up difference, as I have built in a clearance around the underside other the hex cap for this purpose and also to remain as water tight to rain as possible.

You might talk to Hayden to see if he has an Eagle Tree data logger he might loan you. That tool will record lots of different data sets with the aircraft in flight and output them as a graph should you desire. It will allow the use of a couple thermocouples and volt/current sensors that could be strategically placed on or in the aircraft. They are very accurate.

Thanks Pat,
I am catching up with him tonight and will ask him what he has. He lives not too far away and he has a demo over my way this arvo ,worked out very convenient. Johnno Hennessy.

Hi, All fellow Members.
I have finally reached the stage of asking for Expressions of interest in the purchase of my Relocation Tower for the GPS and Compass Module for the Typhoon H. This is to gauge whether it is worth going ahead with doing a Youtube Video of DIY for the kit and stocking up materials and setting up a Busines Paypal account. In the photos posted, you will see the colours that are available to order.
These will be posted to your address in the STURDY CONTAINER shown in the Photo of the KIT CONTENTS (black one by its self, the container becomes a spare parts box and no damage during the postage, so no damages). For those that are unable to view youtube, there will be written and photographic instructions included in the container.
The PURCHASE PRICE is $ 55 USD including postage.
If there are further questions and all expressions of purchase PLEASE SEND THEM BY EMAIL TO [email protected] and all will be ANSWERED PROMPTLY.
If there are sufficient expressions by email, I expect that orders will start to be filled APPROX 4 weeks after the decision to put the product on the market.
I will be attempting to get a video up soon for you to see the DIY installation and if you wish to look at some videos of the H there are some on our business site on Youtube
UNEEK ROOF INSPECTIONS PTY LTD. They are just some of where we go fishing at FRASER ISLAND in Queensland, ( Worlds LARGEST SAND ISLAND ).
I have been using this TOWER since early February 208 and to this date, I have never had a compass or GPS lost NOTICE on the ST16 and we do a lot of building inspections between buildings no further apart than 8 meters and approx 7 meters high and all metal clad. Without doing this MODIFICATION I doubt that we would be able to do half the jobs that we have.
Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the GRASS.View attachment 10983View attachment 10984View attachment 10983View attachment 10984

This does look totally awesome and I am very interested, will you be able to ship to the uk?

Cheers

Chris

This does look totally awesome and I am very interested, will you be able to ship to the uk?

Cheers

Chris
Yes Chris, this will ship to the UK, as above I have a little further with demo video but all is good and it will be compatible with the H520 and the H plus. I am now looking for the different connectors for those two models. But all should be good. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

This is a very welcome development! Anything to improve the H is indeed great news! Would definitely purchase one. Hopefully by then my H would be flying again, just waiting for the parts to arrive.

Anyway, here's the thread for the background of the project, makes for interesting back reading.

Moving the GPS and COMPASS MODULE.

Hi. is there any evidence whatsoever that moving the GPS Compass Module will give a safer, more reliable flight?

Last edited:
Empirical proof isn't out there but what what is highly evident is that moving GPS away from heat and electrical noise sources has consistently improved GPS performance. This has been well noted in both military and hobby grade UAV applications. "Back in the day" when most built their own multirotors we laid the GPS transceivers/antennas on top of our flight control boards with all the power and video wires passing over, under, or simply close to the GPS module. The problem count was pretty high. Bear in mind those units were worse in performance and quality that what has been used in the Typhoon H. It was found that elevating the antenna/module up and away from the electronics vastly improved GPS performance. Same applied to increasing separation from power supply wiring, ESC's, and video transmission modules, all of which are electrically noisy. The GPS signal is very low power and requires little to degrade it, or block it.

For the record, I have used several of the same GPS modules employed on the H in a couple of home builts. Others have as well and when correctly installed none of them demonstrate the positional inconsistency and loss of signal as seen with the Typhoon H. Although not the best available, correctly employed they are quite reliable. The module used can provide extremely good positional accuracy and maintain a stable hover with very little drift in any axis. The difference? Location, location, location. There is also the heat factor. 3DR used the H GPS module in their Solo and had a lot of problems with it because it was located in close proximity to all the electronics and inside a hot shell. Their solution was to change to a less heat sensitive GPS module and shield it better. All electrical components generate heat when functioning and any module trapped inside a closed space absorbs heat generated by other electrical components. The H GPS sits directly above the battery bay and all the heat generated by discharging the battery flows directly into the GPS module, which is also collecting the heat generated by several ESC's in close proximity, plus whatever else is coming off the board. The cooling air inside the H is very low to accomplish what needs to be done. We found the same condition was applicable in military stuff. Placing the GPS close to or over the avionics (lots of heat and EMI) caused a whole lot of GPS failures, requiring hand flying for very long distances or ending with the loss of a real expensive aircraft. The issues were both heat and electrical noise in origin. Moving the GPS away from heat and EMI resolved those issues. Funny thing about heat damage, the effects of repeated over exposure are accumulative and over time will cause a GPS unit to fail completely.

Johnno has performed this modification on two Typhoon H's that had been experiencing GPS issue. After the modification repeated use of those aircraft indicates the previous issues are no longer present. Although only a sample of two, that shows that improvement was obtained by modifying the system. I’ll wager that if he was to do an A-B-A experiment and return one of his H’s back to the original config the GPS issues would return with the conversion. There's also the history of Yuneec's 920 to consider. It uses the same GPS as the H with only the difference being where it's located to generate performance improvements. The 920 does not experience GPS issues, and hover stability is better than the H. For the 920 the GPS is located forward of all the heat and EMI sources and elevated up and away from the main board. The elevated forward tower on the 920 shell is the GPS module.

Ultimtely there is only some available useable evidence that location of the GPS matters a lot, but there is considerble performance history across a great many models of different brands and makers that also supports the practice.

Last edited:
@PatR I don't have any tree loggers.
In Australia it is frowned upon to log date trees or any other tree :D

No sorry can't help with that one. :p

Reactions: h1pst3r88
Smart a$$[emoji4]. Ya’ll had no qualms about exporting those pesky eucalyptus trees and late night “infomercial” jockeys;)

On a more serious note, you might want to give Eagle Tree a call and discuss their data loggers some day. They can be very useful in tracking and providing a lot of important performance data. They have a version that will broadcast telemetry back to a receiver on, I think 900mHz, while also recording data in flight for later download. You can set up the download display parameters to automatically graph the data in an Excel format. Speed, RPM, altitude, multiple temperatures, and various electrical statistics can be captured for all phases of flight. They also make a very good, easy to set up, flight controller. As they are a U.S. manufacturer I don’t know if they are impacted by our ITAR regs concerning export of UAV technologies, which could prevent overseas sales.

Any update on when it will be available? I really wanted to tell John Hennessey to...
a96ca583825bf35556d70179b54fdc4d.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital