Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Relocation of GPS and COMPASS Module

Hi Msato84,
The best hack for that is a few months back when a bloke mounted it on the back of the gimbal arm. I have cut my plastic camera case down the front to enable the clover leaf antena to be positioned down and gives great reception especially when you are flying away from you and the camera in the horizontal plain. In standard form this would put the clover leaf to the front of the H , where as mine now sits down under neath and enables reception at most angles. I have put a picture at the front of this thread with both my H's the one with pink floating on has the clover leaf hanging down , that is why I have the floating on it. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

You have done an amazing job with this. I am going to purchase this without hesitation

Thanks biltno,
It has taken a huge amount of time especially when you have no computer or 3d printer skills and everything is a BIG LEARNING EXPERIENCE, but I am getting there. Thanks again and it won't be very long now. Johnno Hennessy

Reactions: biltno and Dr Delta
Yuneec should take serious consideration to your invention, not only with current models but future as well. If you as well as a few others on this forum worked with yuneec, they would surpass every manufacturer

Hi Msato84,
The best hack for that is a few months back when a bloke mounted it on the back of the gimbal arm. I have cut my plastic camera case down the front to enable the clover leaf antena to be positioned down and gives great reception especially when you are flying away from you and the camera in the horizontal plain. In standard form this would put the clover leaf to the front of the H , where as mine now sits down under neath and enables reception at most angles. I have put a picture at the front of this thread with both my H's the one with pink floating on has the clover leaf hanging down , that is why I have the floating on it. Johnno Hennessy.
I saw that on your drone, would you happen to have a link to the mod?? Also, put me on the list for your upgrade!!!!

Hi Fellow Members,
I have finally a little time to touch base with all and my progress for the purchase of the Relocation Towers. There has been alot of talk about the advantages of having this on there H, apart from what I have experienced since the early part of this year with my modification. I am still trying to get the amount of time to video where I test most of my mods. But trying to line up my mate to video and then have the weather to co-operate is very hard as you know. But the other day I was at home for lunch and the outside ambient air temp was 25° c so I placed a small ply wood sheet on the back corner of my ute tray and put the GPS base and LID clipped together on to the ply sheet and left them in the sun for 10 minutes ( a ) and took temps with my IR thermometer and then a further reading at 20 minutes ( b). I will put these in order as best that I can and post the photos of how they were set out on the tray.
1) Yellow a- 38.5 & b - 39.9.
2) Black a) - 57.1 & b - 59.9 to 60.2 .
3) White a) - 35.2 & b - 35.5
4) Natural a) - 35.7 & b - 36.0
5) Blue a) - 42.0 & b - 44.2
6) Silver a) - 46.0 & b -49.0
7) Gold a) - 39.0 & b - 43.1
8) Red a) - 42.2 & b - 47.4
9) Pink a) - 36.3 & b - 39.5
10) Orange a) - 39.3 & b - 41.3
11) Green a) - 43.4 & b - 44.8
The back ground temperature of the ply wood after 10 minutes was 44.5 and then 20 minutes it was 46.6 a difference of about 2 ° c . My conclusion is that I will fly with the white cap in summer and in winter for warmth I will use the black cap. Now I know why DJI products were predominately WHITE.
It is the reflective ability of the lighter colours that helps and with the Tower giving ventilation to the inside of the H I can see why it works. No wonder the get CRANKY and CRAZZY when they get excessively HOT. I will now just paint the top of my H white to see if there is any more improvement .
The wedding site is coming along and fingers crossed next day or two. I am also thinking of offering to sell the STL FILES for the 3d printed parts to people that have access to a 3d printer and also the CONNECTION HARNESS CABLE as these are very hard to source. For those who are interested in the STL files please send me your requests to my EMAIL Address [email protected] just for me to get a Guage at the numbers. The TOWER is a 3d printed item that weighs approx 35 grams in total and will be shipped in a protective container that also becomes a spare parts container. This is so intensive and new for me but I am slowly getting there and I thank you all for being so patient with me and my lack of computer and video knowledge but am getting there very fast.
Fingers crossed for the next few days and it will be open for orders and delivery.
Now for the photos . Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side

Attachments

• 20181019_100202.jpg
    20181019_100202.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20181019_100200.jpg
    20181019_100200.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20181019_100214.jpg
    20181019_100214.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: Dr Delta and biltno
Once you sell or publish the STL files you effectively ended any further product sales on your part. Do not for one second people are honest and ethical. They are most certainly not. They will undercut you as fast as they can source a cheaper product. It will happen fast enough as it is as the Chinese will be offering a copycat version immediately after they see you selling more than two of your creations.

People have no problems buying Chinese made products so they should have no problem buying an Australian product.

Thanks for that info Pat, you are correct and I just put it out there. I was trying to get some one like Shapeways to make and ship the items to customers in the USA and like wise in Europe but there costs are prohibitive and puts it out of reach of normal pilots. 3d printing is not a perfect product but it is more than strong enough for a 30 something gram TOWER and MODULE . I was really surprised with the temperature numbers on the black Tower cap, I thought that can't be correct and took the temps about 3 times just to make sure. I am going to paint the top of my H white to see if that makes any difference also. It would not take away the visibility of it whilst flying as you are predominantly viewing the H from a bottom side view, but will give it a go and see what we end up with. I thank you for your valued input of knowledge and view on these subjects as it comes from experience of time in the game. I am now of to a job and then sorting out some more Webb site shop stuff and postage costs and looking forward to getting this off the ground. Johnno Hennessy.

Hi, All fellow Members.
I have finally reached the stage of asking for Expressions of interest in the purchase of my Relocation Tower for the GPS and Compass Module for the Typhoon H. This is to gauge whether it is worth going ahead with doing a Youtube Video of DIY for the kit and stocking up materials and setting up a Busines Paypal account. In the photos posted, you will see the colours that are available to order.
These will be posted to your address in the STURDY CONTAINER shown in the Photo of the KIT CONTENTS (black one by its self, the container becomes a spare parts box and no damage during the postage, so no damages). For those that are unable to view youtube, there will be written and photographic instructions included in the container.
The PURCHASE PRICE is $ 55 USD including postage.
If there are further questions and all expressions of purchase PLEASE SEND THEM BY EMAIL TO [email protected] and all will be ANSWERED PROMPTLY.
If there are sufficient expressions by email, I expect that orders will start to be filled APPROX 4 weeks after the decision to put the product on the market.
I will be attempting to get a video up soon for you to see the DIY installation and if you wish to look at some videos of the H there are some on our business site on Youtube
UNEEK ROOF INSPECTIONS PTY LTD. They are just some of where we go fishing at FRASER ISLAND in Queensland, ( Worlds LARGEST SAND ISLAND ).
I have been using this TOWER since early February 208 and to this date, I have never had a compass or GPS lost NOTICE on the ST16 and we do a lot of building inspections between buildings no further apart than 8 meters and approx 7 meters high and all metal clad. Without doing this MODIFICATION I doubt that we would be able to do half the jobs that we have.
Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the GRASS.View attachment 10983View attachment 10984View attachment 10983View attachment 10984
I would like to see a video on this

Agree with Pat! You've put in a ton of work and innovative thought, the latter is your intellectual property.

Do not freely share your 3D printer files, the circuit design, or even the parts list. At the very least, make it hard to for someone to copy cat your innovation.

You've done some great work, you should profit from it to the extent that the business has a broad enough market to embrace the product. Heck, license the design to Yuneec before they implement it in their next Typhoon.

While seeing the best in others is a noble ideal, we humans tend to constantly disappoint our fellow humans with the depths some will go to profit from other folks' work.

I will refrain, barely, from a political jab here about our current administration.

-C

I doubt that. Johnno has said several times it will take some time to get everything together due to regular work requirements, locating shippers that won’t break the bank, and coming up to speed in areas of computer tech he is behind in.

Australia is an expensive country to live in. While there I was astounded to see how much more expensive it was, largely due to taxes, than the U.S. generating more surprise was the fact their dollar was valued lower than the U.S. dollar, a condition where the U.S. dollar should have had more buying power, allowing for more AU dollars to be obtained during a bank exchange to offset their high pricing. It didn’t work that way.

So my guess has Johnno looking for a way to make his product more affordable after working through the various economic factors and trying to make a living at the same time.

It's easy to lose weeks when trying to get a new product and business to its legs... to say nothing of also doing all design, build, testing, parts sourcing, marketing, etc, etc. I would say JohnnO is right on schedule and doing a great job!

I am happy he is not rushing for the sake of rushing. Quality takes time and everything he's posted here to date implies a high level of quality.

-Chris

Reactions: bobbyrichter
Hi Fellow Members,
I would like to thank you all for your patience during this process and most of all the encouragement of several of you from the start of the journey and your support over the last few weeks. You know who you are and I will PM you to personally thank you, ( that is if I remember how to do it but it will get done ).
Yes it has arrived the site is live, www.uneekideaz.com will take orders as of now. First of all please read the ABOUT US ,the FAQ and HELP, these have important information about the colours you choose and there ability to reflect heat. Which I have worked out plays a very big part in the troubles we have with the H along with getting the GPS and COMPASS MODULE up and out of the way of interference,both electronic and HEAT.
I require upto 4 working days to pUT together your order and place it in the postal process with AUSTRALIA POST, safest and cheapest out of Australia, then it is 6 to 10 days delivery depending on where you reside. I have tried to keep the price as affordable as possible , as it is no use having an idea and it sitting on the shelf. There will be a photo of the kit as it will be packed ( in bubble wrap ) and posted in a safety container for protection that will double as a parts container later all placed in a padded post bag.
Don't forget that the item is 3d printed and not injection moulded ( cost to set up mounds etc is prohibitive) and may have some blemishes but there is no structural deficiencies in the ABS plastic .
I have been useing one of these since May this year and have not found the build to be deficient in any way. There is the extention cable with the connectors for the H 480 ( the 520 and H plus are coming soon) and a printed instalation guide for you to follow. You can message me through the site and I will reply swiftly with an answer to your problem if you should have one.
The colours that I recommend are WHITE then NATURAL as they keep the COOLEST of ALL., they may look plain but there the most efficient. I am experimenting will peel off paint to the top shell ( WHITE of COURSE ) to add even more cooling effect and can be peeled off later for another colour or go back to original.
Don't forget that this is detachable so that the H can go into the original back pack for travelling.

I have a couple more ideaz to come so I will keep you all posted about them and also the progress of the TOWER and any modifications if I think of some.
There will more than likely be more questions so p,ease don't hesitate to ask , either on here or the Webb site.
Now don't forget IF ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST. AND
KEEP FLYING ON THE GREEN SIDE OF THE GRASS.
JOHNNO HENNESSY. 20181119_185250.jpg

I have forgotten how to private message members, so could PatR, Dr Delta, rdonson, Eagles eye video, and Chris h1pst3r88 contact me as I would like to have a private conversation with you all. I will eventually remember how to PM on the site. Thank you.
Johnno Hennessy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements