Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Remote ID Modules

Reaction score
I have a Typhoon H Plus and was wondering what the the best RID module would be the best choice to buy.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank's

Hopefully we will be seeing units $60 or less very soon. The units that are $300 are overkill for the USA. They include 4G LTE capability that is not required in the US.

I just searched and not finding much under $200. If you are §107 and making money it may be worth it, but as a hobbyist I find them way overpriced at the present time.

Hopefully we will be seeing units $60 or less very soon. The units that are $300 are overkill for the USA. They include 4G LTE capability that is not required in the US.

I just searched and not finding much under $200. If you are §107 and making money it may be worth it, but as a hobbyist I find them way overpriced at the present time.
Thank's for the info. Guess we will wait and see what happens regarding future pricing and technology.

At the AAM conference this week, the FAA made a statement that acknowledged that RID modules were hard to get (they didn't address cost). They said there will "probably be more announcements before the deadlines. All things are on the table." I read that as they may have to extend the deadline. Hopefully more manufacturers will step up with lower cost units and an extended deadline happens to allow for them to get to market.

In the meantime, here is the least expensive model I have found so far. You will need to add the antennas (included now) and battery but it is still pretty small and light.

I am using the db120 because I could get it and it is very easy to use, if not a little clunky...

Reactions: Steve Carr
Correct good choice if you have power source and the other components to wire up. I chose the self contained unit simplier for my Matrice fits with our gopro adaptor

Reactions: chaddo11

Has anyone checked this out?

I'm pretty sure that this is designed to integrate into the CubePilot autopilot system and may require that you are using one of their systems. It may be adaptable to tie into the serial output on your controller, but that will likely not be considered in compliance. I do not find it on the FFA list of certified RID units. I have tried to find modules that could use the MAVIC port because all of the info required from the drone is there, but even if they exist I think the FAA will not consider them in compliance. From what I have seen, the only way a module will be compliant when using data from the controller is that it be certified with that specific controller supplying the data.

To find if your planned module is certified, go to this page:
Select the drop down box and select "RID". You will have a multipage listing. Unfortunately, they do not separate UAS with embedded RID from stand alone modules, so you have to wade through them. The search feature seems to work OK if you know the manufacturer or part of the module name. This list is much bigger than it was a few months ago, so there are a lot of drones and a few modules getting added. None are inexpensive yet.

At the AAM conference this week, the FAA made a statement that acknowledged that RID modules were hard to get (they didn't address cost). They said there will "probably be more announcements before the deadlines. All things are on the table." I read that as they may have to extend the deadline. Hopefully more manufacturers will step up with lower cost units and an extended deadline happens to allow for them to get to market.

In the meantime, here is the least expensive model I have found so far. You will need to add the antennas (included now) and battery but it is still pretty small and light.

I am using the db120 because I could get it and it is very easy to use, if not a little clunky...
I bought the Drone Tag BS and would like to hardwire it into the drone. Does anyone have a schematic for the Typhoon H, or know if there is an available power header within the drone?

I’ve purchased the Drone Tag BS for installation in my Typhoon H. Has anyone hardwired a Remote ID card into the drone?

I’m looking for a schematic of the motherboard of the unit, or if there is an auxiliary power header inside the aircraft where I can connect the 3-pin connector to.

I’ve purchased the Drone Tag BS for installation in my Typhoon H. Has anyone hardwired a Remote ID card into the drone?

I’m looking for a schematic of the motherboard of the unit, or if there is an auxiliary power header inside the aircraft where I can connect the 3-pin connector to.
What voltage range can it use? Do you have Realsense mounted? If not, there may be a useable connection on the cable. The cable was installed on all of them, regardless of Realsense itself being installed.
RealSense Cable 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
From the Dronetag web site:

"The BS can be powered from up to 17V power input, or you can consider optionally using the small 3.7V LiPo batteries (e.g., 50 mAh can run up to two hours). Batteries must have a JST SH 3-pin connector. "

So, I suspect it has voltage regulation for higher voltages but wil run on as low as 3.7V. Probably 3.3V circuits onboard.

Reactions: WTFDproject
What voltage range can it use? Do you have Realsense mounted? If not, there may be a useable connection on the cable. The cable was installed on all of them, regardless of Realsense itself being installed.
View attachment 29802
In conjunction with the above information you can also access this from the header pins on the mainboard in the H480. Once I get a module I’ll mount a connector to the top shell and power it from the header. That way RS can still be used. Most RID modules will need to be mounted on top to allow their GPS to work.
IMG_1861.jpeg

Good point! I hadn’t thought of the fact the GPS will need to be mounted topside. I did buy outboard antennas for both GPS and Bluetooth, and I think there is enough length in each to route the GPS to attach to the upper shell, and BT to route to the lower portion of the chassis, making the entire install invisible from the outside.

Reactions: Omnitest
I may tap into that power and make the clean install by routing the antenna wires out in about a year. My drone is actually new enough that it is still in warranty and I think I should avoid mods until it expires. Until then, this is what I have set up. I already had the battery from another project, so I just built up the wire harness to give an easily accessible disconnect. I can't believe this thing in actually seeing 26 satellites in my back yard with that single wire antenna.
BS_RID.jpg

In conjunction with the above information you can also access this from the header pins on the mainboard in the H480. Once I get a module I’ll mount a connector to the top shell and power it from the header. That way RS can still be used. Most RID modules will need to be mounted on top to allow their GPS to work.
View attachment 29827
Okay, so I soldered the connections for power to these posts, (numbers 4 and 5). The RemoteID module powered up fine. I reassembled the drone and took it up for its first flight. everything worked fine up till landing. Once the drone landed, the module stopped broadcasting, and its LED went out. I disassembled the cover to find the ground wire had released from the post, (which I thought was odd because I pulled both leads to ensure a good solder). I went and connected the wire back to the ground post and it still doesn't power up. I connected the RID module to a 9V battery and it works fine. I also took a multimeter to the posts and they are reading .5V at best. Figured I may have done damage to the Realsense controller, so I reassembled it and took the Typhoon up and activated Realsense. The system operates as it should. I also checked the two other posts, (numbers 3 and 6), and the same .5V from the multimeter. I’m now scratching my head trying to figure out what has changed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maahdevbook