Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I personally don't see the worry here. The law even states that it wouldn't affect drones made pre-new law.

Here is a great article that breaks it down:FAA’s draft rules aim to use electronic ID system to put a tighter leash on drones

It covers the no internet issue also, but I see them using the GPS system to cover this. GPS can give the location and ID of the drone.

Way to early to start selling off any drones. If nothing else it would be smart to buy up the semi-pro drones on the market now, as they will surely increase in value, due to a law like this.

Some pilots are saying this is a good idea, some are complaining. Honestly a law like this will take millions of lobbying dollars to pass.

Last edited:
Couple of comments. First, it is not a law and lobbying does not enter into it like a law passed by the Congress does. This is an internally promulgated Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR). There is no "passing" of a law as part of the process. The FAA issues a NPRM, reviews comments (and is free to ignore any and all of them if they choose), and then issues a Final rule.

I do agree that there is a decent amount of time before we see this implemented. FAA itself says likely 2 years to get to a final rule. Then another 36 months for full implementation. So 5 years, or maybe more, before this is something that will impact any of us directly.

Reactions: Rubik and Ty Pilot
100% agree, five years is a long time and most likely there will be a lot that happens between now and then that will also have impacts on the industry as a whole. That said; I think deep down we all kinda, sorta, know how this is going to end up unfortunately. ?

Til' then, we need to . . . . . .

Move along.gif

Ah-hem,

Five years is NOT a long time! That toilet paper roll keeps unrolling faster and faster as the end gets near!!!

I’m just hopeful my supply of new rolls does not run out any time soon!

Jeff

and home brewed uav faa does not expect those makers to even afford the cost to get certified for standard or limited. therefore they are limited to ama flying spots only.
I can’t see a home brew flyer adhering to that at all. The ultimate cowboys!

Reactions: 7cyclops
I personally don't see the worry here. The law even states that it wouldn't affect drones made pre-new law.

As long as you don’t mind flying at a CBO field. If I want to do that I’ll go get a fixed wing aircraft and fly rectangles until I’m bored beyond belief, about five minutes.

Once you are restricted to flying fields or having to fork out the bucks for newer compliant systems, most of the membership on the DronePilots forums as well as other forums that are mostly recreational will drop off the radar. Those that continue to fly will not be here advertising the fact nor sharing on YouTube or any other social media.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7cyclops and PatR
Everyone that said "it's just a 5 dollar registration fee, it's fine" needs to suck start a shotgun.

This is exactly what happens when they start "regulating" things.

After reading the proposal, I wonder if my 2018 Typhoon H is functionally compliant with being to transmit it's position to the internet so I can be spied on by the authorities. BeforeYouFly tracks my physical position based on the GPS in my phone so I am a bit confused on those details. If that is the case, my investment goes into the trash can.

You mean you actually allow the B4UFly App to track your position and other data while and where you fly? As for your 2018 aircraft being compliant; it's not.

Reactions: Warlocc
Couple of comments. First, it is not a law and lobbying does not enter into it like a law passed by the Congress does. This is an internally promulgated Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR). There is no "passing" of a law as part of the process. The FAA issues a NPRM, reviews comments (and is free to ignore any and all of them if they choose), and then issues a Final rule.

I must respectfully disagree. As the FAA was forced to remove airspace and ATC privatization by the AOPA and numerous other general aviation groups it's more than curious that same privatization is being reintroduced with remote ID requirements for drones. If that's not due to an act of lobbying I don't know what is. The majority of this NPRM is being driven by specialty groups, from national security agencies all the way down to small avionics manufacturers that might capture a few sheckles from equipment sales. The comments will be many but the decisions are being, and will be, made by the people that will be making the most money from implementation of the proposal. That's lobbying.

I mean lobbying in the sense of lobbyists working to persuade lawmakers. I mean it in the sense that laws are voted on by Congress who are more likely to be persuaded by paid lobby groups.

I meant to draw the distinction between a law as passed by the Congress and a regulation or rule enacted by an agency of the government. Well funded lobbyists can certainly exert influence on elected officials who may in turn influence the FAA. But I am at a loss to see the FAA dealing directly with paid lobbyists for Amazon, etc.

Perhaps it is a distinction without a difference, but I think it is worth understanding the difference.

Reactions: rchrdbarnard2
In theory and design what you say is true but in practice the design intent is totally discarded.

I can only wish that position was true but as the FAA deemed it fitting that only big businesses form the membership of the various drone committees it stands to reason that big business is controlling the FAA.

What is happening right now with Boeing and their 737 exposed how deeply aerospace is in bed with the FAA. What happened with the 737, poorly designed equipment receiving certification, has been going on for many years. But this time enough people died to force exposure. The practice of big business driving the FAA is not limited to Boeing

In any case, every person that operates a remotely controlled aircraft of any type has to read and respond to this NPRM. They cannot sit back and hope somebody else will speak for them.

Look at their convoluted cost analysis. They are so way off the mark, it isn't funny. It's a blatant attempt to make it so that only the big corporation can afford to fly drones.

The FAA rule establishes a three-year transition period, but that period doesn't start until the FAA has accepted public comments on its initial proposal, made appropriate adjustments, and issued a final rule. That rulemaking process can take many months. So the new system won't be fully operational until 2023 at the earliest. After the FAA puts the new rule in place, drone manufacturers have three years to comply. So, right here are six years before we see anyone starting to enforce the new rule. A LOT can and will happen over the next six years.

The proposed Remote I.D. rule would apply to all drones that are required to register with the FAA (recreational drones weighing under 0.55 pounds are not required to register), as well as to people who operate a foreign civil drone in the United States. As of now, any drone under the 400-foot table doesn't have to register with the FAA (non-commercial drones). Unless they change this part of the rule, most recreational pilots won't be affected. I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves with panic. The bottom line, rules are made to be broken......lol

IMO- The tracking system will come down to a simple GPS sensor (30 bucks) with a unique identifier that will report to a website via GPS satellites.

Now with my business, I do Arial videos and pictures for weddings, parties, landscapers, surveyors, local TV commercials, and some local news. I don't fly any of my drones above 400 feet or near any government locations. I don't fly near airports, hospitals, or private homes without permission and proper paperwork. I follow the rules and laws in place and have never had an issue. I truly don't see this new rule of identifying our drones as a problem for small businesses or hobbyists other than the cost of a new sensor.

An idea of how the tracking would work.
remote-ID-FAA-three-ways.jpg

Last edited:
As long as you don’t mind flying at a CBO field. If I want to do that I’ll go get a fixed wing aircraft and fly rectangles until I’m bored beyond belief, about five minutes.

Once you are restricted to flying fields or having to fork out the bucks for newer compliant systems, most of the membership on the DronePilots forums as well as other forums that are mostly recreational will drop off the radar. Those that continue to fly will not be here advertising the fact nor sharing on YouTube or any other social media.
Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. Some of this information is incorrect.

Soon we will need a permit to skip stones on a pond. Flying a kite? It endangers commercial air traffic as well as creating a lethal hazard for birds. And they pollute our view of the sky; kites are sooo ugly. They should be totally banned.

Have OUR regulatory agencies lost their minds? Are we to have stealth satellites in place, scanning remote marshlands, open range farm lands, and vast areas of the Southwest deserts for the sole purpose of detecting the lawless hobbiests and cinematographers dangerously flying their drones in violation of the new rules? I doubt/hope that the congress would ever fund such utter nonsense. The existent general rules for flying can be argued pro and con, but many of the restrictions are sensible and we can live with them. The drone community is not a huge lobby, capable of swaying our law-making body in Washington. What we can do is encourage our state assemblies to resist creating more restrictions. Online petitions sent through the proper channels in opposition to the proposed new restrictions might be of value. I don't know much about these matters. Maybe someone has had experience in this regard?
For now, I'm going to continue using my video eye-in-the-sky in safe, less populated, open areas, keeping it in sight and being sensitive to those folks on the ground below who are disturbed by the noise. We are becoming an OVER-REGULATED society where rules have become a substitute for courtesy and common sense.

So if we are using airmap every flight..we log in and file a flight plan..I take off..even if I am flying in class g airspace.. the guys at the faa at the airport can spot my drone on a big monitor..our drone group got to see this in action..so how is that any diff to what is proposed..I don't understand...they already know where we are with the sumitted flight plan...what's the diff? Help..

So if we are using airmap every flight..we log in and file a flight plan..I take off..even if I am flying in class g airspace.. the guys at the faa at the airport can spot my drone on a big monitor..our drone group got to see this in action..so how is that any diff to what is proposed..I don't understand...they already know where we are with the sumitted flight plan...what's the diff? Help..

I‘ve never done this....heck, never even heard of it. I fly a lot around the DFW Metroplex....and I’ve used various services (including AirMap) to gain LAANC approvals for surface controlled airspace.....but I’ve never submitted a “Flight Plan”....Can you elaborate on this process?

I‘ve never done this....heck, never even heard of it. I fly a lot around the DFW Metroplex....and I’ve used various services (including AirMap) to gain LAANC approvals for surface controlled airspace.....but I’ve never submitted a “Flight Plan”....Can you elaborate on this process?
our dronehive uses the airmap exclusively for every flight..even in areas where faa permission is not required..it
Fred..on airmap after you have signed in...it has your name..phone#..drone id#..you select create new flightplan..rec or 107...highlight flight area..enter flight time..distance from base...alt....date...submit...even in class g airspace where no permission is required..the faa loves the fact we submit our flight plan...you will get a response sayin one was not required for class g...they know you are aready there...look on your phone in the airmap app and your clock is counting when you are on the flight clock...el paso was one of the first to work with faa in this drone program...we have diff flight situations for drones with city built around airport..mexico..new mexico...the largest military Base in the us...the large Franklin mtns..state owned lands..fed lands..tons of flight training routes for planes and choppers..our dronehive works closely with the city and govt to promote safe drone piloting and education..so we always submit our drone flight plans whether the airspace you are in requires one or does not..it helps promote local goodwill to all involved... Fred if ever in El paso give us a shout...el paso dronehive... safe skies brother!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace