Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Repeat GPS issues after 2 month repair

Reaction score
Trying to compress a lot of info in one post. On a flight several months ago my Typhoon H lost GPS, said to land immediately, then took off full speed to the left never to be seen again. After sending the flight log to Yuneec they were kind enough to replace it.
The replacement was unable to acquire GPS on the first flight. I was unable to calibrate compass, and when lifting off it slowly drifted to the right.
Sent it in with the controller and got it back over 2 months later.
Today was my 3 or 4th flight since. Lifted off, drifted slowly to the right, (towards some small trees) so I lifted it up a little higher to avoid collision and none of the pitch controls on the right worked. Pulling straight back it would not move. Left or right would move very slowly. So I immediately tried to land but couldn't get it away from over the top of trees. Very patiently I maneuvered it slowly over a clear spot and dropped it down. When it landed it fell over sideways and broke 2 propellers. Something has been pulling it to the right??
So, after installing 2 new propellers and firing up, I get land immediately and recalibrate compass. (I never took off). So every time I hit calibrate compass, it says no GPS, acquiring. I turn it off and back on and it says ready. Until I try to calibrate and it immediately switches to acquiring. I relocated a mile or 2 away and tried again. No GPS. This is the exact same reason I sent it in and waited 2 months for supposed repairs.

It certainly sounds like the GPS module is bad. If you have the mechanical ability, the module is easy to change. You could ask Yuneec about sending you a replacement module and see what they say.

I agree but having sent it in for 2 months for this same issue, I would have thought they would have addressed that. But I do have a support request in to them now so we'll see where that goes. But I would definitely rather figure out how to install the module myself if it is bad. Hopefully they can get me through that.
Thanks again Steve. You're always there when I need help. Much appreciated.

The GPS module also contains the compass. It is located in the top shell under the flat area which is marked "GPS". This is a link to the part. I would rather change it myself than to wait for a couple of months for Yuneec to fix it. Also keep it mind......it takes 13 minutes on a new module to get an exact fix. The aircraft has to sit with power on and the motors off, in an open area, for the GPS to finish updating.

Yuneec Typhoon H GPS Module

Reactions: Mickeyboo
Does someone have their GPS out and could take a close-up photo of it, both sides? They are on the net, but not close enough to get a clear view. I know its a M8Q but would like to get the other numbers. I'd like to see if a 3rd party GPS would work just to compare, and will probably try a trick used on the Solo to improve reception and ameliorate EMI. Mine hangs on for dear life when not in wide open spaces (it wasn't always like that).

That is a great pic! You can read the P/N on the compass chip. On my spare TH GPS the label on the compass came off with the tape. A lot of the cheap GPS/compass modules I find online don't list what the P/N of the compass actually is, but the HMC5883 is pretty common and I think that is what is in the TH.

This post references a GPS unit with the exact same p/n as what is shown in the picture and they speculate that it is a HMC5883.
RC Groups - View Single Post - M8N GPS, list of fake, good and original

I was looking into replacing the GPS unit a little while ago and if I remember right the difference between the M8Q and the more common M8N is that the M8N has built in flash and the Q doesn't. The Difference between the MAX and the NEO modules seem to just be the form factor of the module, the max is a little smaller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop