Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Returning my H520

Reaction score
It's sad, but after trying every way possible to keep this thing, I've arrived at the decision to return it and move on. I was hoping that the affordable thermal solution would allow me to utilize the power of the H520 platform while the necessary fixes are being made to firmware to add necessary features and fix some of the issues with the E90 horizon, but sadly, the low resolution of the CGOET doesn't allow much to be done from a business perspective if I need deliverables for clients. The resolution is too low for software like pix4d and raptor maps so large solar arrays or roofs that need stitched and presented as a complete project cannot be done with ease like with some of the larger FLIR sensors. I'm up against a hard return date, and I can't see holding onto close to $7,000 worth of equipment that I can't currently use. It's hard to win deals when your competition is offering a complete overview in a single image and/or 3d render and I'm showing up with 500 120 x 160 images that are basically useless unless looked at individually and even then, good luck figuring out what part of an array or roof you're looking at.

So my other option is spend even more on an older aircraft (Inspire 1) with the zenmuse xt 640. Sad that Yuneec didn't have this in mind when creating this platform. Would've had a big impact in the commercial space with a better resolution thermal option...even 336 resolution would've been usable. I hate it because I love the stability of the platform...

About to pull the trigger on the return and figured I would take one last stab at finding a reason to keep it. Anybody?

If you intend to use the thermal camera, unfortunately there is no reason. From the first moment it has been commented that this camera didn't have enough resolution, it was said that they were still taking another model with more resolution but it hasn't been the case. As for thermal images Yuneec and especially the H520, talking about a professional environment where the client already knows what can be achieved, have nothing to do :(

Reactions: airwaze
My issue is that I love the platform, but I feel like the thermal solution is an integral part of it. I have a P4P and Inspire 2 so I have solutions for mapping, videos, etc. The one piece that was missing was the thermal solution. I chose the Yuneec because I thought that eventually I could sell off some of the other drones and use this platform as a "near" universal platform, but sadly that has not been the case.

I am sorry to hear that you had to come to the difficult decision of divorce. I have the H480 with ET, and I am kinda glad that I didn't pull the trigger on the 520. I was so in hopes that it was going to be my go to platform, but the problems I have seen in some of these messages, leads me to think I have to do something else. I hope you have better luck with plan B.

You might be able to get Pix4D to stitch it if you present it with merged thermal images - ie. boost the effective resolution of the thermal data by having the visible field blended in with the thermal.

Love the thought that went into that FLIR mount, but I'm assuming it would require a 2nd screen to view the actual feed from the FLIR sensor? Part of the attraction to the H520 was being able to view the thermal images natively. I am going the route of an Inspire 1 with the Dji Zenmuse XT. It's an older aircraft, but it's proven, updates are still coming regularly as it's still being manufactured and the feed is native within the Dji app. Had high hopes for the H520, but unfortunately it cannot do what I need it to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parisaline