Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Rubber motor damper installation

Reaction score
I recently crashed my Q500+ and broke the arm for the number 4 motor. I purchased a new air frame and am in the process of transferring the components from my crashed Q500+ to the new air frame. Two questions: is there a trick to installing the rubber motor dampers. I've been trying for the past hour with no success. Secondly, when I connected my crashed Q500+ to the GUI, it indicated that all four ESC's had failed. The impact broke all four propellers but the motors test good. Do the ESC's typically not survive this type of crash? I hate to buy four ESC's if I don't have to.

Don't remember having a problem with the damper installation so can't help there but the esc,s just might need resetting by spinning each motor over in the GUI.

Don't remember having a problem with the damper installation so can't help there but the esc,s just might need resetting by spinning each motor over in the GUI.
Thanks for the input. I finally got the dampers on - wasn't using enough pressure to get the flange through the hole. I'll definitely try resetting the ESC's - I should have everything back together tonight. I really appreciate all of you veteran pilots sharing your wealth of knowledge - makes it much easier for those of us just getting started.

Well I should have mentioned after doing a rebuild like your doing a ESC ID assignment is a must or I can say you will go through a few props trying to figure out why the darn thing is flipping over on you, learnt the hard way :rolleyes:
Calibrated everything once your get it back together also.

Well I should have mentioned after doing a rebuild like your doing a ESC ID assignment is a must or I can say you will go through a few props trying to figure out why the darn thing is flipping over on you, learnt the hard way :rolleyes:
Calibrated everything once your get it back together also.

Good advice. Makes sense that I would need to calibrate everything once I get it going - especially since I just have one set of props. Thanks!

I wish Yuneec would come out with some Rebuild instructions.
The ones I find on the web are for reference only at best.
I've been stalling doing my change over trying to amass knowledge before I start. And time of course.
Seems straight forward enough with most having the same questions and I'll be taking lots of pics as I go.
As to the OP, I too have once had issue with my ESC's and all I needed to do was hand spin the motors to ID them in the GUI.Hopefully it works for you too.
Keep us updated and good luck,
Jafo
Added: That famous auction site for props. Jmo

I have crashed a Q500 twice, both times it just fell straight down from about 100 feet up. Not much left. First time my CGO2+ camera gimbal board needed micro soldering and I was lucky enough to find a nice lady who does this and teaches this. Got a good price as she wanted the challenge and if it worked out she could expand her business as she has because I have sent her many people with the same problem. Second time I had a CGO3 camera on it, was lucky that only the shell and lens cap got destroyed but of course the frame was toast again. Was not going to rebuild it again since buying a Typhoon G at the time made more sense. So now I have the Typhoon G (same as any typhoon series) the CGO2+, CGO3 and the GoPro gimbal that I run a Git2 camera on. Git2 is a very good knock off of the GoPro cameras. Some say even better.
I found out later that a ESC was faulty, it would cut out and back on again causing the crashes.

So now I have one on the Hobby desk for parts and just might buy one of these to keep me busy rebuilding this winter.
yuneec-carbon-fiber-mod-q500-q500_typhoon-red_1024x1024.jpg

I have crashed a Q500 twice, both times it just fell straight down from about 100 feet up. Not much left. First time my CGO2+ camera gimbal board needed micro soldering and I was lucky enough to find a nice lady who does this and teaches this. Got a good price as she wanted the challenge and if it worked out she could expand her business as she has because I have sent her many people with the same problem. Second time I had a CGO3 camera on it, was lucky that only the shell and lens cap got destroyed but of course the frame was toast again. Was not going to rebuild it again since buying a Typhoon G at the time made more sense. So now I have the Typhoon G (same as any typhoon series) the CGO2+, CGO3 and the GoPro gimbal that I run a Git2 camera on. Git2 is a very good knock off of the GoPro cameras. Some say even better.
I found out later that a ESC was faulty, it would cut out and back on again causing the crashes.

So now I have one on the Hobby desk for parts and just might buy one of these to keep me busy rebuilding this winter.
View attachment 2186
Just wanted to update you on my reassembly. I transferred everything over into the new air frame and fired it up for the first time this evening. IT WORKS! I had to do an ESC ID like FlyingJunkie said and it appears that all the ESC's are good. I tested the motors and all appear good except motor #1, which agitated back and forth like a washing machine. I'll get a new one ordered. It took me about 15 hours to do the reassembly but I've never done anything like this so I took my time. If someone out there is considering doing this after a crash all I can say is if I can do it so can you. The air frame cost me $68.00 with shipping and I spent another $150 in tools that I didn't have. I still have to try and fix the camera. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to repair the quad myself so I don't feel like I wasted money. However, I don't know that it was cost effective to do this. You can find a new Q500+ (drone only) on ebay for $250.00. It does not include the controller, battery, camera etc. Depending on what you have to replace, it adds up quickly and soon you have the price of a new 4K.

This forum is a wealth of information. Thanks to all the senior pilots that are willing to share their knowledge with us newbies. It is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: KBflyer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots