Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

SD Card in the ST16

Reaction score
So I put an SD card in my ST16 and made several flights then discovered there is nothing on the card. What is it there for?

Dang, here is the manual:

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-1.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: John Hennessy
@AllJoy Drone Guy couple things; so you did initiate a video recording or photos by pressing the corresponding buttons on the ST-16s and nothing recorded? First I would ask to make sure when you push the button that the indicator on the screen shows that it is either recording or a photo was taken. If you can confirm this, I would check to see what the specs of your SD card are, these cameras require very specific cards. There is a thread here in the Typhoon H Plus section about SD cards

Test the card and camera in the house before you go out to fly. The H doesn't need to be in the air to test it.

The SD card slot in the St-16 is there so you can update the firmware manually, or copy files to it for transfer if for some reason you are not doing that with a USB cable.
Just checking that you are not expecting footage to appear on the card after flights - for that, you obviously need an SD card in the camera.

There is a thread here in the Typhoon H Plus section about SD cards
Test the card and camera in the house before you go out to fly. The H doesn't need to be in the air to test it.
Steve & Ty, @AllJoy Drone Guy is asking about the SD card in the ST16, not in the camera.

To just to be clear for @AllJoy Drone Guy, as @AeroJ pointed out, the card needs to be in the camera, not the ST16 card slot which has nothing to do with recording video, and is not necessary for any other function other than to transfer files. This should all be covered in the Manual that @AH-1G provided a link to above. I would urge you to become familiar with all the aspects of operation, there are many helpful little details -like where to put the SD card- that you will find very helpful.

Last edited:
So I put an SD card in my ST16 and made several flights then discovered there is nothing on the card. What is it there for?
It's your evidence if you ever have a mishap, you can download your telemetry to the card and send to Yuneec to either prove it was pilot or copter error, and a possible warranty repair claim.

I realize for vids/pics you must have a card in the cam. I was asking about the slot on the bottom of the ST16, thought I was pretty clear on that. Apparently it does nothing unless you copy to it. I just wasn't sure if it was suppose to auto capturing things. Thanks for the replies, even the snarky ones.

Last edited:
I realize for vids/pics you must have a card in the cam. I was asking about the slot on the bottom of the ST16, thought I was pretty clear on that. Apparently it does nothing unless you copy to it. I just wasn't sure if it was suppose to auto capturing things. Thanks for the replies, even the snarky ones.
Sorry for any "Snarkism" on my part. :oops:
Well it actually wasn't clear, you never mentioned you had a card in the camera or that it had recorded anything. So it seemed like we all made a natural assumption given the limited information provided. Ironically, we recently had a discussion on the subject of "Snarky" answers, so I just proved myself to be a hypocrite! Not that any proof was needed, or there was ever any question! ;)

Back to your reply, you are very correct in that the ST16 does record what it captures from the low-res display feed. This and the telemetry for each flight (Motor arming specifically -lift off or not) are recorded in file folders in the ST16's internal storage. However you must manually copy them the the SD Card to retrieve the files.

I always keep a spare card in my ST16 slot just in case I need it for the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Sorry I read your post way too quickly and missed the ST16 part of the question.
And, yes, you are correct. It's just there as a means of transferring files or for updates. Hopefully any snarky comments you see here will be friendly.

It also depends on the model you are flying as well... if flying a Q500, you need a SD card in the ST-10 to record telemetry to... if there's a problem and no card in the controller, you're SOL.

I had a snarky remark, but some body re-edited those remarks.o_O:rolleyes:
AND I read the post correctly!!! Take that!;)

I had a snarky remark, but some body re-edited those remarks.o_O:rolleyes:
AND I read the post correctly!!! Take that!;)

I thought your response was spot on as the top of this forum page is a listing of various info threads. The Typhoon H documentation library is the first thread and contains links to both the manufacturer’s and much more comprehensive user developed system manuals. Those interested in learning about their systems should expend the effort needed to read them. Those that don’t typically end up posting lots of questions that have already been covered in the posted documentation. If people can find this forum they can find the manuals.

Those that read them are far less apt to be starting a new “my H crashed” thread.

Thanks guys, you make a newcomer feel really welcome here. I did read the manual, more than once. And, while it does speak of the process for copying files to an SD card placed in the bottom of the ST16 it doesn't address anything happening automatically. I was just wondering if anything did so I would know if my Pro was working properly. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Thanks guys, you make a newcomer feel really welcome here. I did read the manual, more than once. And, while it does speak of the process for copying files to an SD card placed in the bottom of the ST16 it doesn't address anything happening automatically. I was just wondering if anything did so I would know if my Pro was working properly. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

AJDG, something needs to be clarified here... you are a new member here and with as few posts as you have made we as a group, have little to reference with you... you are quite likely being sarcastic above, but with so few posts it is not guaranteed to be recognized... even for someone like me, holding a PhD in sarcasm. OTOH, anybody can stay in the shadows as a visitor, and still get a real sense of any active poster on a forum... their demeanor, background and level of experience.

My point being IMHO, with the few posts you have made, we as a group have no knowledge of your demeanor or background... you describe yourself as a newcomer to drones, in your introductions post, so we only have that to go on as to your experience level.

Your original post above, is wide open to interpretation. If I may suggest, providing more background in a post requesting help, would minimize any pushback you get. If you had said something along the lines of below, many of the gaps in our familiarity of your knowledge would be filled, resulting in a different response:

"So I put an SD card in my ST16 and made several flights then discovered there is nothing on the card. Now, before anyone asks, I am not talking about the SD card placed in the camera... I know that records the inflight video and photos.

Does placing a SD card in the ST-16 record video/photos to it? Or does it record something else? I looked in the manual, and did not see any reference to SD card use in the controller."

Reactions: DCH
Thanks Eagle's Eye. I will try to be more precise in the future. As a newcomer to this I don't always know what to say exactly. I enjoy this forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here. Sorry if I caused any discontent with any members. Please be patient, I'm learning. THANKS!o_O

No apologies needed... and the suggestion above is applicable to any new posters... between difficulty using the written word and global language differences, it's a wonder the internet works at all. o_O

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval