Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Sent your CGO3+ to Yuneec for refocus? Well…..

Hal

Reaction score
I have two H's. One I tried to refocus and not happy… Seems the focus is still blurry towards one side, so I ordered the Peau lens and hope for the best. I wonder if the mount has something to do with it not being in focus and worse from left to right. Really don't want to replace the mount and looking for a simpler swap.

Well…. My other H is untouched and the focus is softer then what I would accept. For those that have sent their camera's to Yuneec…. What was your experience? Specifically:

1.) Did you need to send photo/video samples for them to take the camera in…Or just a complaint?
2.) You just sent the camera?
3.) How long did it take?
4.) Were the results a night and day difference?
5.) Did they focus your own camera or send a replacement (new/refurb/used)?
6.) Was your cost only return shipping?

Call them and follow up with an email of the soft images.
They will ask for camera only, no card or gimbal clamp
For me about 3 weeks, mostly travel time
Mine was sent in for a different issue
They paid shipping both ways

When I did a demo video a few months ago on how to install a custom lens (which now can't be done as easily now due to a mount change by Yuneec) I noted that my lens was not only focused too close before I changed it but it also had a bit of a foggy white residue around the edge of the lens which would produce soft edges...refocusing as well as cleaning the lens with Zeiss lens cleaning fluid (available at B&H for $3.95 w/ a very good cleaning cloth) really helped the lens to create crisper images. You can also create more sharpness by connecting to the camera with your computer via the internet and issue the following commands:

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=GET_SHARPNESS

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=0

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=5

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=10

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=8

The H comes set at 5 or 6...I've found you can get better results by setting it to 8. This was a tip posted by Flyingjunkie. It basically applying the sort of sharpening you can
do in post production. Strong vertical lines like wheat fields would not need as high a number while other content like glaciers would benefit from higher sharpening...in other words setting how much you should sharpen is contingent on content.

Reactions: banned user
I have two H's. One I tried to refocus and not happy… Seems the focus is still blurry towards one side, so I ordered the Peau lens and hope for the best. I wonder if the mount has something to do with it not being in focus and worse from left to right. Really don't want to replace the mount and looking for a simpler swap.

Well…. My other H is untouched and the focus is softer then what I would accept. For those that have sent their camera's to Yuneec…. What was your experience? Specifically:

1.) Did you need to send photo/video samples for them to take the camera in…Or just a complaint?
6.) Was your cost only return shipping?[/QUOT

When I did a demo video a few months ago on how to install a custom lens (which now can't be done as easily now due to a mount change by Yuneec) I noted that my lens was not only focused too close before I changed it but it also had a bit of a foggy white residue around the edge of the lens which would produce soft edges...refocusing as well as cleaning the lens with Zeiss lens cleaning fluid (available at B&H for $3.95 w/ a very good cleaning cloth) really helped the lens to create crisper images. You can also create more sharpness by connecting to the camera with your computer via the internet and issue the following commands:

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=GET_SHARPNESS

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=0

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=5

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=10

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=8

The H comes set at 5 or 6...I've found you can get better results by setting it to 8. This was a tip posted by Flyingjunkie. It basically applying the sort of sharpening you can
do in post production. Strong vertical lines like wheat fields would not need as high a number while other content like glaciers would benefit from higher sharpening...in other words setting how much you should sharpen is contingent on content.

You're not sharpening anything you are increasing edge contrast and it has a very crappy look compared to a image that actually in focus

One of mine just reached the repair facility late last week to repair what I had done to it. We'll see how it all works out pretty soon I hope.

Mickey,

Thanks for posting the sharpening links again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My camera was out of focus Yuneec just told me to send it in and they would have a look at it. I posted it in they got it on Thursday looked at it Friday & on Monday morning I had a new camera so that has to be the best customer service I've ever had & the new camera is spot on

Reactions: Philipp
Answers for Hal

I sent them a screen shot of a side by side comparison between my Typhoon H and my Typhoon 4K. There was a very noticeable difference.

I sent just the camera

4 weeks from the time I shipped to the day I received it back.

Completely night and day difference. I was really interested in buying an aftermarket lens to upgrade, but after the refocus, I am not quite as anxious. The results are phenomenal.

It is hard to say, I believe they may have sent me a replacement. However, there was a handwritten note in the package from the technician that handled my issue. He stated that the camera had been given a full testing to verify that it was focused correctly. They may have just refocused mine, but either way the results were fantastic.

6.) Was your cost only return shipping?
No, they paid for all shipping cost.

One of my concerns is that they send a full replacement and it has the smooth lens shaft and any plan to upgrade to a screw in lens requires more of an effort (replacing the camera mount). My current (#2 H) was among the first H's shipped and I am 90% sure it is the screw mount. Like I wrote... I have two and I attempted to focus just one (which had the screw mount). While most of the image in the center is sharp...Still not as good as others I have seen posting video. I really wanted the stock lens to perform but, like many... I think it falls short.

David... It is possible they sent you a new camera and perhaps an upgraded lens...Seems they may have sourced different lens in the beginning as people are having mixed results.

I've focused my lens on 3 different occasions and not happy. I've used various methods, but an HD monitor hooked up to the ST16 was my last attempt and I didn't like the results. I also wonder if the polarpro ND8 filter might be causing some focus issues....While it shouldn't...Hard for me to "trust" a $15 filter when I am use to buying "high end" B&W filters for my DSLRS.

Last edited:
I ran into a soft focus issue when using the Freewell adjustable and changed to Polar Pro. Thus far I've only needed the PP ND4 for what I shoot and can say there's no impact on focus with that one. I'm with you where the value of glass is concerned. I doubt we get high quality glass with these small filters but some of them don't seem to detract from what the lenses deliver, which isn't saying much when comparing to a good prime lens.

I ran into a soft focus issue when using the Freewell adjustable and changed to Polar Pro. Thus far I've only needed the PP ND4 for what I shoot and can say there's no impact on focus with that one. I'm with you where the value of glass is concerned. I doubt we get high quality glass with these small filters but some of them don't seem to detract from what the lenses deliver, which isn't saying much when comparing to a good prime lens.
If anything, I get a better focus now with the ND filters. Mostly due to the fact that when I shoot, it is very bright outside. I generally use the ND8. By cutting out some of the light, everything doesn't look so washed out and smeared. It gives more crispness.

I had been debating getting an upgraded lens for my camera because the images were so soft but the price tag was more than I could afford. I finally decided to contact Yuneec and see what options they had. I was on the phone with the Yuneec technician for about 15 minutes. I emailed him a couple of photos I had taken (different altitudes, different lighting, etc) and he agreed immediately that the focus was soft. I then emailed him a photo of my receipt. Within 10 minutes of this exchange I had an email packet that included a return authorization form and a pre-paid shipping label for UPS. I took the camera and the packet down to the local UPS shipping place, paid $5 for them to package it and sent it off to Yuneec. This was a Tuesday afternoon. On Thursday they emailed me confirming receipt of the camera. On Friday they indicated that a replacement would be shipped out. On the following Monday I received a brand new camera. I wish ALL returns/repairs could be this easy. The difference is stunning. To answer the specific questions:

1.) Did you need to send photo/video samples for them to take the camera in…Or just a complaint? I had to provide a couple of photos and proof of purchase (receipt)

2.) You just sent the camera? Yes, UPS charged me $5 for a box and packaging material

3.) How long did it take? Less than a week

Below are two photos. The first one was before I sent it in for repair (it's actually the REASON I finally couldn't ignore the image softness). The 2nd is after. Both were shot on 'normal' and auto mode. No post shot correction of any kind. Differences speak for themselves.

YUN00091.jpg YUN00095.jpg

4.) Were the results a night and day difference? HUGE difference. New camera is sharper with greater contrast and color saturation in normal mode

5.) Did they focus your own camera or send a replacement (new/refurb/used)? Looks like a new camera. I know I had a small scuff on one of the silver gimble pivot points and that scuff is not on this camera. Camera itself looks flawless

6.) Was your cost only return shipping? Zero. They paid for shipping both ways. My ONLY cost was $5 for the packaging at the UPS store because I didn't have a box and packing material suitable for sending this in.

I had been debating getting an upgraded lens for my camera because the images were so soft but the price tag was more than I could afford. I finally decided to contact Yuneec and see what options they had. I was on the phone with the Yuneec technician for about 15 minutes. I emailed him a couple of photos I had taken (different altitudes, different lighting, etc) and he agreed immediately that the focus was soft. I then emailed him a photo of my receipt. Within 10 minutes of this exchange I had an email packet that included a return authorization form and a pre-paid shipping label for UPS. I took the camera and the packet down to the local UPS shipping place, paid $5 for them to package it and sent it off to Yuneec. This was a Tuesday afternoon. On Thursday they emailed me confirming receipt of the camera. On Friday they indicated that a replacement would be shipped out. On the following Monday I received a brand new camera. I wish ALL returns/repairs could be this easy. The difference is stunning. To answer the specific questions:

1.) Did you need to send photo/video samples for them to take the camera in…Or just a complaint? I had to provide a couple of photos and proof of purchase (receipt)

2.) You just sent the camera? Yes, UPS charged me $5 for a box and packaging material

3.) How long did it take? Less than a week

Below are two photos. The first one was before I sent it in for repair (it's actually the REASON I finally couldn't ignore the image softness). The 2nd is after. Both were shot on 'normal' and auto mode. No post shot correction of any kind. Differences speak for themselves.

View attachment 3713 View attachment 3714

4.) Were the results a night and day difference? HUGE difference. New camera is sharper with greater contrast and color saturation in normal mode

5.) Did they focus your own camera or send a replacement (new/refurb/used)? Looks like a new camera. I know I had a small scuff on one of the silver gimble pivot points and that scuff is not on this camera. Camera itself looks flawless

6.) Was your cost only return shipping? Zero. They paid for shipping both ways. My ONLY cost was $5 for the packaging at the UPS store because I didn't have a box and packing material suitable for sending this in.

WOW I would be happy with that change too. Your photo looks great.

Reactions: NismoNinja
there is a ton of in camera sharpening going on in that second photo. you can see it in the ringing in all the high contrast transitions and in the roof of the truck where it should be a continuous tone. There is also a fair bit of chromatic aberration in that second shot.

Well, to be perfectly honest there Der Stig - that truck has spent every day of it's 11 year life under the beating sun in Phoenix. I've done everything humanly possible to maintain the paint on it, but there will still be some fading and splotching. The top of that truck looks just like that to my naked eye and no matter WHAT I did to the settings on the original camera I couldn't get details like that at any distance. As for in camera sharpening, it's possible. I don't really know. I'm not a professional photographer - I only have a Canon 7D with a couple of L lenses for landscape work and the occasional wedding or family gathering. The image does look like it has some electronic sharpening, but it wasn't something set by me - it was 100% plug and play, as it were. Which, btw, was the same way I took the 1st shot. 100% auto - no manual settings on the ST16. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it a far cry better than the original? YUP. I put my ND16 filter on it and took a short video today. Still blown away by the increase in quality. Can I get better? Yup. Am I willing to pay the cost for better? Nope. For what I'm using this for, I couldn't be happier.

there is a ton of in camera sharpening going on in that second photo. you can see it in the ringing in all the high contrast transitions and in the roof of the truck where it should be a continuous tone. There is also a fair bit of chromatic aberration in that second shot.
Why do you only pop up here to say something bad about someone's picture? You don't post for days, some post a picture then bam there you are to say something bad.

Those two pictures are really different but I don't thinks this is about lens refocusing. First one looks like taken with RAW setting and the other one taken with GORGEOUS setting

Why do you only pop up here to say something bad about someone's picture? You don't post for days, some post a picture then bam there you are to say something bad.
Der_stig_in_the_mud is probably paid by DJI. Everyone sees he is just here to post negative comments about the H. Claims to be a photographer but does not seem to understand much about it.

I think every imaging device…camera/display/printer has some sort of "correction" going on. Especially when you are at a certain price point. The end result is that we want an image to be pleasing (for most people) without having to do too much in post to make it look better. I'm sure Yuneec has tweaked the firmware in the camera and couple that with a better focused lens and it should look better then some of the first units that were shipped to us. Like NismoNinja inferred….For the price… And what Yuneec provided... looks better then what he had. Wish there were 3rd party cameras that easily mounted on the H. As a package, and at the price point… I think the Typhoon H didn't break the bank and is loaded with features and a reasonable degree of quality. I don't think it would be fair to expect Arri or Red quality with this $350 drone camera.

Reactions: NismoNinja

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval