Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Small airports and nfz

Use the Hover or B4UFly apps to see where local NFZs are located.I've noticed that they don't always agree as one includes helipads while the other doesn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I fly out of my small airport and can't fly at it with any of my typhoons or XStar.

None of the small airports near me generate a NFZ with my H. Those consist of one uncontrolled public airport, three private fields, and three helipads, two for hospitals and one for civil PD.

Small private airports.... probably not. But even small airports would prefer UAVs keep their distance, I would think.
I'm doing a shoot tomorrow for a construction company and its smack dab in the middle of two small airports. I already notified the airports and got approval.

None of the small airports near me generate a NFZ with my H. Those consist of one uncontrolled public airport, three private fields, and three helipads, two for hospitals and one for civil PD.
That's a bummer... Might have to shut the GPS off... Sigh.

Edit: I read your post wrong.. Thats good news!

SKyVector.jpg What I've found so far is that small private and uncontrolled fields are not a problem. Of course we should always notify an airport that has frequent air traffic operating into and out of it of our intentions to fly at a location that could pose a conflict with manned air traffic, the NFZ data base used for the H will not be a limiting factor. You will be able to fly. Private fields are not provided protected airspace status by the FAA, only the class of airspace depicted on an area chart is applicable, but should we choose to fly near one both courtesy and safety would be better served if we informed the owner of a private field of our intended location and altitude of flight..

Those areas that surround a major passenger airport, and military airfields, will likely generate a NFZ and prevent us from flying. I don't see that as a bad thing and believe most of us already know where we should not fly, and are already aware of busy passenger airports in our areas. As operators, it is our responsibility to become aware of the various factors that can influence flight safety and cognizance of large airports near where we wish to fly is one of those factors.

Something that may be useful is access to aviation charts. The link will take you to a site where you can view just about every chart type available for a given area. Just click the "Charts" button to select the area you want to view. There's a chart legend on every chart, providing you the means to interpret the various symbols used. "R" inside a circle means it's a private airport. If the airport has a shaded area or line rings surrounding it you know it's controlled airspace.

These charts can also be very helpful in other ways. In the attached screen shot for the Seattle chart, note the blue circle. That circle denotes a declared UAS operations area, which happens to be a local RC flying site situated very close to an uncontrolled community airport. That information would be obtained by clicking the "Drotams" button. In the "Airports" button you can obtain the name and contact information for a whole lot of airports.

Lookup Airport | SkyVector

Last edited:
The terminology used to describe an airport suggests you are not in the U.S. Yuneec may have set things up differently for your area. Give Yuneec a call or e-mail and see what they have to say. I'm curious, what happens if GPS is disabled?

The terminology used to describe an airport suggests you are not in the U.S. Yuneec may have set things up differently for your area. Give Yuneec a call or e-mail and see what they have to say. I'm curious, what happens if GPS is disabled?
You are right, I live in Switzerland. Yuneec CS in Germany sent me this:

Dear Mr Bogstad,

thank you for your email, a good map for the NFZ you will find here : https://www.openaip.net/ .

We are sorry to say but we are not able to switch them NFZ off.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Ihr / Your Yuneec Service Team

Yuneec Europe GmbH
Nikolaus-Otto-Strasse 4
24568 Kaltenkirchen
Germany

You are right, I live in Switzerland. Yuneec CS in Germany sent me this:

Dear Mr Bogstad,

thank you for your email, a good map for the NFZ you will find here : https://www.openaip.net/ .

We are sorry to say but we are not able to switch them NFZ off.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Ihr / Your Yuneec Service Team

Yuneec Europe GmbH
Nikolaus-Otto-Strasse 4
24568 Kaltenkirchen
Germany

More "friendly" comments from the German support:

Dear Mr Bogstad,

we think that we made it really clear !

If you are in a no fly zone, Yuneec drones will not fly into a zone or start in one.

We can only swithc them off for authority, police , national guard etc.

In my experiences Yuneec NFZ only prevents flight near airports in class B airspace. I have flown near several small airports.
I'm currently staying at an RV park in a class D airspace 3.5 miles from Elsworth Air Force base.
My Typhoon H flys just fine here. Of course I call the airport manager on post and let them know before I fly. They have been great about it.

Reactions: Wileytrigger21
I sent an email to Yuneec this am asking if I could disable the geo fence for controlled airspace. I explained to them I hold an FAA airplane pilot certificate and a Remote pilot in Command sUAS certificate.
They sent me waiver to fill out and sign which I did then sent it back then they sent me a file (license) to use with the GUI and turn off the NFZ which I did.
Whole thing from beginning to end only took a couple of hours.

I am very happy with how quick and easy it was.

Is the NFZ completely disabled, or are you limited to 30 feet within 5 miles of an airport?
I have never head of such a thing. And my understanding is threre is no restriction of any type. It is not a modified NFZ it is disabled.

Even before turning off the NFZ my last few flights have been in the Class D airspace of Ellsworth Air-force Base with their permission of course. 3.5 miles from the tower.
I have flown near several other small airports with out any NFZ issues or any flight restriction other than what I program it to with the GUI. Of course I stay under the 400 ft FAA guidelines.

Now I am no where near a class B airspace which is the only airspace I have ever have cause an actual no fly condition. But like I said from what I understand there is no airspace restriction at all now that I have disabled the NFZ. It will be a few weeks before I am near a class Bravo (B) airspace to actually test it.

Let us know how that works out Mike, and please don't share any unlock code info with the public. I know you won't but perhaps the mention will prevent some from asking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval